Stanislaus State MSW Program Fall 2015

lanena19lt

Hello All,

I just want to start a thread for those of us that have applied for admission to the MSW program at Stanislaus State for Fall 2015.  Keep us posted!  We want to know who has heard back!  The deadline is approaching and acceptances should start rolling in.  I believe everyone will be notified before the end of April.

:D

Hi there! I'm glad I found this post! My MSW application made it to Stanislaus on 2/27 (one day before the deadline). My CSU app made it there much earlier. I been thinking constantly if I am going to get in to these schools! It's driving me nuts. My GPA is 2.7 (up from 2.5) not too great but I have plenty of experience. Years in mental health, 1 year internship and an officer of the Social Work club at my school so I'm hoping that will get me in. I applied to East Bay, Sacramento State, Long Beach and Stanislaus. Did you apply? How are you holding up?

I hand delivered my application on Feb 25th. It was reviewed and accepted. The front desk clerk told me we should all hear back by the end of April. Can't wait to see when people start getting their acceptance letter. I don't know if it will be via email or u.s mail. I only applied to this program.

I applied there, too. I submitted my CSU app in late January and express mailed the dept application on the 2/28.

I have no social work experience, but am an older student, have started two nonprofit organizations, worked in the corporate world in PR and as a professional writer, my last GPA was 3.75 (for last 60 credit hours), good LORs, and I recently returned from living in Guatemala for 18 mos. I speak Spanish at the intermediate level. I don't know if lack of SW experience will hurt my application...

End of April. Wow. That's very late. 

Yes! I did! "MyCSUStan" has been "pending" since completing my CSU app back in mid Jan. So, I'm not to hopeful to get admission notification via that portal... Unless of course I see an "Admitted"!!!

As a reference... If it helps... The last time I applied to the Stan State MSW was for Fall 2013 on 2/28/2013. I got my rejection U.S mailed letter dated 4/12/2013 from the MSW program and a U.S mailed letter from the graduate department dated 5/10/2013.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I'm glad I found this post! My MSW application made it to Stanislaus on 2/27 (one day before the deadline). My CSU app made it there much earlier. I been thinking constantly if I am going to get in to these schools! It's driving me nuts. My GPA is 2.7 (up from 2.5) not too great but I have plenty of experience. Years in mental health, 1 year internship and an officer of the Social Work club at my school so I'm hoping that will get me in. I applied to East Bay, Sacramento State, Long Beach and Stanislaus. Did you apply? How are you holding up?

Have your heard back from any of the programs you've applied for? Have you accepted an offer?

I applied to Case Western in Cleveland. It's an excellent program. They offered me a $30K scholarship - for the two years - but the entire program costs $80K. I don't want to take on that kind of debt so I doubt I'm going there.

I was also admitted at AZ State (they have a small program in Tucson). I am over the moon about their program and, as of now, plan to go there.

I called CSU Stanislaus last week. They said notifications don't go out until 15 April. That is just too late....

How about you? 

Hi everyone, 

I applied too applied for the MSW at CSU-Stanislaus. Any chances of me getting accepted with a 2.95 GPA? :/ I'm super nervous to hear back from the school! 

Admissions decisions are rarely made only on GPA. Are you applying to the 2-year program, or 1-year advanced track? 

Do you have lots of social work-related experience? Good letters of recommendation?

I was told that notifications will go out on 4/15.....

Thanks for the reply BunnyMeadows! I applied for the 2-year program. I do have experience volunteering in hospitals, retirement homes, after school programs, and I even worked for the courts/jail system in my city. I'm not sure if that's considered substantial enough..my letters of recommendation were pretty strong so I'm hoping that that helps me out as well. 

Hello all! I'm still playing the waiting game. I'm hopeful to hear back within the next two weeks, the sooner the better though. CSU Stan is the only MSW program I applied for. How's it going for you?

It is a shame that notifications take so long. I have been accepted at Case Western in Cleveland, U of KY, Arizona State, and U of SC. I was denied at CSU Chico - even though my GPA is decent (3.75), it was the first SOP that I wrote, and as someone without a social work background I can now see that my essay was very weak - thankfully, they got better after Chico!

I've learned some interesting things this week. I spoke with one of the schools that accepted me, and the program coordinator told me that a CA license (LCSW) is like the "holy grail" of licenses in the US (along with NY and TX).

She said that a CA license is accepted in almost any other state, but if a LCSW from another state wants to get licensed in CA, it is really challenging, because there are a ton of requirements for out of state applicants. 

I also learned that CSU Bakersfield has got some very serious issues. My applicant experience there was a nightmare. I finally wrote to the department to ask them to withdraw my application, and cited specific reasons why. The admissions committee chair responded to me with this message:

"I am very sorry that you have had such a horrible experience with CSUB.  There is no excuse for the confusion and inconsistency that has pervaded your experience.  I regret to acknowledge that your experience is not unique.  I appreciate your willingness to tell us about it because your message will help those of us who are trying to address significant systemic problems."

We will hear from CSU Stanislaus soon. I was told by the 15th...so hang in there! And best of luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't check my mail yet, but it doesn't matter. They have taken such a long time to notify that I decided to attend a school in another state that has a program that is more tailored to my interests.

I also applied for the MSW program. I have approximately 4 years of social services experience. I talked with Barbara Monday and she stated letters went out late last week and Monday-Tuesday this week. An old coworker of mine received a call Monday from the Social Work Department requesting an interview with her regarding the program. Anyone else hear anything yet?

I have been accepted to the 2 year full time MSW program.

I applied on CSU Mentor on Jan 16th.

Hand-delivered my department application Feb 25th.

Received a U.S mailed letter on April 20th that was dated April 16th and post-marked April 17th.

No interview requested.

Was only asked to accept or deny the admission by April 30th.

And no further instructions provided.

I have accepted admission and will be starting August 24th! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was denied admission to the MSW Program due to my background. Although I have made significant changes in my life, the destructive lifestyle I once led still comes back to haunt me. I find it ironic the program uses the terms equal opportunity, oppression and social justice in their mission statement yet blatantly discriminated against me. It is what it is but I can say without a doubt the movement to equal the playing field for all will never advance with people like the staff at Stan State determining who is and who is not afforded the opportunity to pursue higher education. Social justice is about equal opportunity for all regardless of race, sexual orientation, disability, etc. If we are to advance as a society there needs to be people in position that genuinely believe in the mission statement. Politics and personal agendas will continue to be the downfall of society. The fire burns deep when the passion is real. The plan may have to change but the goal remains the same.....

• 3 months later...

I applied there, too. I submitted my CSU app in late January and express mailed the dept application on the 2/28.

I have no social work experience, but am an older student, have started two nonprofit organizations, worked in the corporate world in PR and as a professional writer, my last GPA was 3.75 (for last 60 credit hours), good LORs, and I recently returned from living in Guatemala for 18 mos. I speak Spanish at the intermediate level. I don't know if lack of SW experience will hurt my application...

End of April. Wow. That's very late. 

Edited by AshondaMarie