MPH CANADA FALL 2015 APPLICANTS

mphcan2015

Congrats on the acceptance! Anyone apply to U of T MPH programs this year? Based on last year's thread, it seems like the applicants heard back around early April. I'm not sure how the interview process works as the website says "if applicable". Do they interview every applicant, strong candidates, or what?

Congratulations Amanada. I also got email acceptance offer from Lakehead University for online  course based MPH epidemiology program on February 25. Leaning towards accepting the offer once I get an official offer in Lakehead email as I want to complete a program that combines my interests in public health and epidemiology.

Sorry did not apply to UofT mph programs but it seems like they hear back in April and May from the grad café discussion threads. Unsure how it works regarding interviews. I know that it is hard to get in touch with mph admissions office staff at different schools but I would also direct the question to UofT as it is important to know if you are waiting for a reply back.

Also applied to online mph course based programs at University of Sask, University of Waterloo, and MUN and two online masters in health informatics program at waterloo and university of Victoria as back ups in areas of related interest.

Rejected by email from University of Sask mph epi stream in February 2015 as GPA in last 2 years of full time studies did not meet the 3.7 GPA requirement and recommended to take more courses (completed a medical degree in Ireland where grading system is quite different).

Waiting to hear back from mph programs at Waterloo and MUN. Expecting to hear from Waterloo by end of March/early and hear back from MUN by April-May based on previous threads from grad café.

Edited by michelleh

Congrats on the acceptance! Anyone apply to U of T MPH programs this year? Based on last year's thread, it seems like the applicants heard back around early April. I'm not sure how the interview process works as the website says "if applicable". Do they interview every applicant, strong candidates, or what?

Only some of the MPH streams at UofT do interviews. Nutrition and Dietetics and OEH have interviews, Health Promotion does not, and I'm not sure about the other streams. I'm in Nutrition and Dietetics, if you have questions about UofT.

Only some of the MPH streams at UofT do interviews. Nutrition and Dietetics and OEH have interviews, Health Promotion does not, and I'm not sure about the other streams. I'm in Nutrition and Dietetics, if you have questions about UofT.

I applied to U of T MPH. Do you know when the acceptances, rejections begin? I know it may start in March, but I am going crazy!

I applied to UofT for Health Promotion, it's my top choice. Problem is Lakehead needs an acceptance by March 20th.

I also applied to Waterloo, Queens and Guelph, still waiting to hear back.

I applied to Queen's and Toronto as well. I'm excited to hear back!

I applied to U of T MPH. Do you know when the acceptances, rejections begin? I know it may start in March, but I am going crazy!

They start in March (Nutrition and Dietetics is usually first, as they want to get their offers out before the Dietetic internship programs release their offers in early March) and continue into April. I heard back on March 6th last year. The website states mid-April to June, but most of the people I've spoken with had heard back by the end of April, at least for the MPH programs.  Of course, that may have changed this year - I'm not involved in admissions, so don't have any inside scoop!

Sorry I don't have any better timeline for you.  I know the Graduate Director was working on admissions stuff this week!  Good luck.

Hey all,

I applied to McGill, UofT (Health promotion), Uvic and another school outside of Canada. Haven't heard anything back yet. I have no idea when UVic sends out acceptances but i assume McGill will be first and UofT will be last. My 1st choice is McGIll (more math/stats focus), last choice UVic (Online program).

I kind of regret not applying to UdeM but I will probably give it a try next year if I don't get accepted anywhere else!

Since UVic is online, I would probably do it from Montreal. But does anyone know if the time difference would make it a pain? Or can you watch lectures whenever you want? It doesn't have much info on their website.

Best of luck to everyone.

Hi all! I applied to UBC, Lakehead, and USask.  Haven't heard back from any schools yet :mellow: 

@Amanda5, when did you submit your application to Lakehead?

Based on last year's MPH thread, interviews for U of T OEH began in mid-March and acceptances rolled out starting in early April. I don't think Queen's MPH conducts interviews, but they began to send out acceptances in March/April. Other schools sent out results much faster (ex. Waterloo and Lakehead as early as February). Good luck to everyone applying! Every so often I check my online portals hoping for a status change haha

Hey all!

I applied to McGill, Toronto (Epi stream), Guelph, Saskatchewan, and Queens.  Now that I have thought about it a little more, I will probably only go if I get in to McGill or Toronto (more epi and stats based programs).  I have a bit of an odd background (undergrad degree in food science), but I have done two summer research jobs that are food safety/microbiology based.  My average is 87.  I know that if I get in, I'll be lucky!  If not, I'll be doing a fifth year of stats and bio courses and reapplying next year.  I want to go to McGill so bad!

Hey all,

I applied to McGill, UofT (Health promotion), Uvic and another school outside of Canada. Haven't heard anything back yet. I have no idea when UVic sends out acceptances but i assume McGill will be first and UofT will be last. My 1st choice is McGIll (more math/stats focus), last choice UVic (Online program).

I kind of regret not applying to UdeM but I will probably give it a try next year if I don't get accepted anywhere else!

Since UVic is online, I would probably do it from Montreal. But does anyone know if the time difference would make it a pain? Or can you watch lectures whenever you want? It doesn't have much info on their website.

Best of luck to everyone.

Hi Radica,

I applied to UVic MPH as well, haven't heard anything yet either.  Which area of focus did you apply for?  I'm going for Public Health Nursing focus.

I am in my last few weeks of my BSN via online courses at UVic right now and have also taken an online undergrad course through the UVic School of Public Health and Social Policy.  There are many students from Montreal and other parts of North America in my courses, but I haven't heard anybody complain about time difference issues.  I'm not sure if the MPH would be structured similarly to my current program, but there aren't actually a lot of live events.  Most courses don't have live events to "attend" online. 

The format has been weekly course notes, readings, and sometimes other resources (videos, PP etc.) and then a required weekly posting in discussion forums with classmates.  You can post these any time of day or night..it's just an ongoing weekly discussion.

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by the online learning experience at UVic.  It's more engaging than I thought it would be, and much more flexible than having to attend classes at set times. 

I was told by somebody in graduate admissions that applicants can start expecting responses around this time (early-mid March)...so hope we hear something soon.  Best of luck!

Edited by gowiththeflow

Hi all! I applied to UBC, Lakehead, and USask.  Haven't heard back from any schools yet :mellow: 

@Amanda5, when did you submit your application to Lakehead?

I actually submitted my application very close to the deadline, not early at all.

I also just checked the Waterloo website and got denied admission as well.

Looks like I will probably be accepting Lakehead since I don't really want to move out of Toronto... does anyone know how it works if you accept an offer of admission to one school but hear back from a better choice after you have accepted the offer and want to change schools? Do you just lose your deposit?

Applied to Lakehead, USask, Waterloo and UVic. Have been denied for the last 2 so far... I have a low GPA but an honours degree nonetheless, and publications (including one in the American Journal of Public Health) and great job experience and letters of recommendation that include the head of a medical department at a major Canadian university. Does anyone know which universities focus more on experience and publications rather than grades? I'm thinking I might have to go back and do some upper-year undergraduate courses to make up for my GPA but I would really rather not, especially since I've done my best to make up for it with everything else.

The wait is killer though...I'm glad someone finally started this thread, we can all suffer together!

Just checked Waterloo website....Denied! :-(   So if you applied to Waterloo just check their website....Good luck!

Hi, I am sorry to hear that :( I was wondering when you say website, do you mean the Quest login ? I am still waiting :( 

Hi Radica,

I applied to UVic MPH as well, haven't heard anything yet either.  Which area of focus did you apply for?  I'm going for Public Health Nursing focus.

I am in my last few weeks of my BSN via online courses at UVic right now and have also taken an online undergrad course through the UVic School of Public Health and Social Policy.  There are many students from Montreal and other parts of North America in my courses, but I haven't heard anybody complain about time difference issues.  I'm not sure if the MPH would be structured similarly to my current program, but there aren't actually a lot of live events.  Most courses don't have live events to "attend" online. 

The format has been weekly course notes, readings, and sometimes other resources (videos, PP etc.) and then a required weekly posting in discussion forums with classmates.  You can post these any time of day or night..it's just an ongoing weekly discussion.

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by the online learning experience at UVic.  It's more engaging than I thought it would be, and much more flexible than having to attend classes at set times. 

I was told by somebody in graduate admissions that applicants can start expecting responses around this time (early-mid March)...so hope we hear something soon.  Best of luck!

Hey!

Thanks for your response it is very helpful. I got the impression that their online system worked fairly well and you have confirmed it. I applied to the social policy stream. I have a bachelor of arts in environmental studies and economics, so a bit of a weird one but I think it actually works for that stream.

On the website it just says that "My file has been forwarded to the department," as it has for the last month or so. Hopefully we hear back soon!

Good luck!

Applied to Lakehead, USask, Waterloo and UVic. Have been denied for the last 2 so far... I have a low GPA but an honours degree nonetheless, and publications (including one in the American Journal of Public Health) and great job experience and letters of recommendation that include the head of a medical department at a major Canadian university. Does anyone know which universities focus more on experience and publications rather than grades? I'm thinking I might have to go back and do some upper-year undergraduate courses to make up for my GPA but I would really rather not, especially since I've done my best to make up for it with everything else.

The wait is killer though...I'm glad someone finally started this thread, we can all suffer together!

I totally know where your coming from.. if you don`t mind me asking what was your GPA?  I feel that is my only downfall as well, it is not a competitive GPA but I have adequate work and volunteer experience... so nerve wracking  :unsure: