MPP/MSc/MA- Hertie, UCL, King's & Edinburgh

Rahul1994

I have received MPP offers from Hertie School of Governance- Berlin, University of Edinburgh and University of Toronto to join in 2015 September. I have also received offers from University College London (MSc Public Policy) and King's College London ( MA Public Policy). I am totally confused regarding which one to accept. As per my understanding, I feel that the MPP has a clear advantage over MSc and MA. But the dilemma in front of me is to choose between the MPP offers and the MA/Msc offers. UCL, King's and Edinburgh are prestigious institutions as compared to Hertie which is relatively new but at the same time Hertie offers a two year degree where as the rest of the UK colleges offer only one year degree. I request someone to throw some light on my doubts about the MPP and MA/MSc, as well as give me some inputs on how to go about the best choice among the above to study public policy.

Edited by Rahul1994

First of all where do you want to to work and what type of job do you want? This will influence strongly what program you should attend.

P.S. Do you mind sharing your application stats. I'm currently awaiting a decision from the University of Toronto's MPP program.

Hi,

Congrats for the offer! I too have received an offer of admission from the Hertie School for the MPP. I also hold an offer from SOAS, London. So, I am kind-of in the same boat as you.

Can you please tell me if you have received any scholarship or tuition fees waiver from either of these institions?

Well, I do not know how much a difference the tag of an MA/MSc or MPP makes. However, the Hertie School seems to be an upcoming institution while King's, UCL and Edinburgh have been well-known for a while. Yet, I ve been told that Hertie is well-known in the policy circle in Germany and even among other policy schools worldwide. However, as has been pointed out earlier, a lot depends on what you want to do after you graduate from the programme. The cost may also be something to consider (atleast it is for me). The amount you spend for a 2 year programme at Hetie will probably be equal to what you spend for 1 year at an institution in the UK.

Also, could you please share with me your background? Education, professional experience etc.

Thanks.

First of all where do you want to to work and what type of job do you want? This will influence strongly what program you should attend.

P.S. Do you mind sharing your application stats. I'm currently awaiting a decision from the University of Toronto's MPP program.

I am planning to gain atleast 2-3 years of work experince as a policy analyst or a consultant in a company like KPMG, etc and would like to pursue PhD later. And I got a mail today stating that my UoT offer has been kept on hold till they check my Indian undergaduate degree equivalence.

Hi,

Congrats for the offer! I too have received an offer of admission from the Hertie School for the MPP. I also hold an offer from SOAS, London. So, I am kind-of in the same boat as you.

Can you please tell me if you have received any scholarship or tuition fees waiver from either of these institions?

Well, I do not know how much a difference the tag of an MA/MSc or MPP makes. However, the Hertie School seems to be an upcoming institution while King's, UCL and Edinburgh have been well-known for a while. Yet, I ve been told that Hertie is well-known in the policy circle in Germany and even among other policy schools worldwide. However, as has been pointed out earlier, a lot depends on what you want to do after you graduate from the programme. The cost may also be something to consider (atleast it is for me). The amount you spend for a 2 year programme at Hetie will probably be equal to what you spend for 1 year at an institution in the UK.

Also, could you please share with me your background? Education, professional experience etc.

Thanks.

Congrats to you too! No, I haven't received any waivers as of now. 

Since I am from India I do not speak German and I am concerned that it would be a barrier when it comes to job in Germany as they anyday prefer German speakers over the rest. The cost of Hertie is what attracts me a lot because I can get a two year degree for almost the same amount as in the UK. But if I want to move out of Europe, for example, to the US, I am not sure whether the name Hertie would work as much as a UCL or Edinburgh.

I am 20 years old and currently in the final year of my undergraduation in Political Science at Univeristy of Delhi (India). I have worked for six months under a member of the Indian parliament as his private secretary, preceding to that I have interned for two months at the Indian parliament before getting appointed as private secretary. I do not have any other professional work experience but I have interned in two other non- govermental organizations before doing the parliamentary internship.

Thanks!

Hi.

I too am from India and from the same undergrad institution. I would prefer to do a PhD in the USA later and the brand name of the Hertie School is hence, definitely a concern. I have also been told that given that the US and German educational systems are very different, the value of a German degree in the US further needs to be verified.

It seems that Berlin is an international city and lack of knowledge of German may not be as problematic. But, I cannot say that it won't be a factor at all. What about the rigor of quantitative and policy analysis study at these institutions in the UK? Are the modules similart to Hertie or other professional MPP schools?

Whoever Rahul1994 is, from India, I think you are outright lying or spreading false rumors on the forum here. U of T MPP Program has made no offers as I am told by current staff of the school, and they are certain not a single offer was made. I hope other UT MPP candidates will not get worried cause of your post. I was told EARLIEST offer are made in early March.

Please delete your prior comments so people will not be worried about what you said here.

Thanks!

Whoever Rahul1994 is, from India, I think you are outright lying or spreading false rumors on the forum here. U of T MPP Program has made no offers as I am told by current staff of the school, and they are certain not a single offer was made. I hope other UT MPP candidates will not get worried cause of your post. I was told EARLIEST offer are made in early March.

Please delete your prior comments so people will not be worried about what you said here.

Thanks!

Hey I am extremely sorry, you are certainly right about UoT offers. But I have received offers from the other mentioned universities and I have to respond to them soon. I added UoT to the list so that I need not put up another post asking about it. But I did write to the UoT regarding the degree equivalence and I was assured that my application would be reviewed for this year. I am again sorry for the misleading post!

PS: Still waiting for inputs regarding my primary question about MPP/MSc/MA.