Info session dinner tomorrow night; Advice?!?!

thepinkdragon76

So, although KU doesn't invite students to this, you have to RSVP to attend. Since notifications for regular MSW applicants don't go out until next week and this event is listed on the program's calendar of events I'm thinking this is an inadvertent way of seeing who is serious about the program. Dinner, meet and greet with faculty and prospective students..... Uh..help?!?! I don't want to screw this up! Anyone ever attend anything like this for a school? What should I wear? What should I not say? Do I study the bio's of every professor? Lol I made sure to refresh my memory about the two I expressed interest to work with. Should I tell anyone if asked about scholarships that I worked with the Graduate Military Studies departments to change the requirements for their Wounded Warrior Scholarship over the last year so pre 9/11 disabled veterans like myself could apply? Since KU is a very heavily veteran populated school, this is an achievement, but I don't want to sound snobby. There is no guarantee I will get into the program or get the scholarship; help help!! *insert foot in mouth*

Edited by thepinkdragon76

Others probably didn't respond because your questions (and premise) are absurd & ridiculous.

The forum on Grad Cafe is usually pretty helpful.  The people in this Social Work forum tend to provide insightful info & advice.  Sorry if the following sounds harsh or mean...but this is going to be some tough love since you're open to advice.

Understandably, many people are nervous, anxious, and antsy about application decisions.  If possible, try to stay calm and don't freak out.

Yes, you don't want to screw up...but seriously, use some common sense.  Why are you asking questions you can answer yourself?

What should you wear?  Clothes and shoes would be good.  But really, do you think dress attire would be formal?  What about casual?  Probably not.  So go safe with business casual.  If you want to impress veterans, defeat ISIS or come up with solutions with the VA, PTSD, TBI, etc....What you did with some requirements for some scholarship sounds great and all, but is that supposed to wow people enough to get admitted?

What should you not say?  How about don't say anything stupid and don't ask stupid questions.

Should you study the bios of every professor?   Maybe familiarize yourself with some names, but if you have any social skills, why not get to know people in a normal manner by talking & listening? 

If you don't want to sound like a snob, then don't.  If you want to talk about what you did for veterans, mention it in your resume or essay on your application or ask the people who wrote a letter of recommendation to mention it.

Do you think after attending this info meeting and charming some professors, they will immediately rave about you to the Admissions Committee?

If you're going to panic on an internet forum message board, how are you going to handle yourself at an actual event?

My advice - don't go.  Why?  Because this "info" meeting isn't what you think it is.

From the beginning, your post sounded bizarre.  Schools typically have info meetings BEFORE their application deadline...not AFTER.  

And providing dinner?  That sounds really generous of them, unless participants are expected to pay for it.

It's no surprise the meeting is confusing since it's listed on the Social Work website...but if you investigate it further, the info meeting doesn't appear to be just for social work.

From their website, it says "Learn about the breadth of programming available – 30 degrees available." and "Go further with a KU degree. Prospective students are invited to learn about the graduate and undergraduate programs available on the KU Edwards Campus"

But if I'm wrong, contact the Social Work department directly to see if they will be at this info meeting.  They probably are busy with reviewing applications, so it's doubtful many faculty members or professors will be at this info meeting.

If possible, take a deep breath and calm down, and just be patient as they make their decisions.  Good luck.

Others probably didn't respond because your questions (and premise) are absurd & ridiculous.

The forum on Grad Cafe is usually pretty helpful.  The people in this Social Work forum tend to provide insightful info & advice.  Sorry if the following sounds harsh or mean...but this is going to be some tough love since you're open to advice.

Understandably, many people are nervous, anxious, and antsy about application decisions.  If possible, try to stay calm and don't freak out.

Yes, you don't want to screw up...but seriously, use some common sense.  Why are you asking questions you can answer yourself?

What should you wear?  Clothes and shoes would be good.  But really, do you think dress attire would be formal?  What about casual?  Probably not.  So go safe with business casual.  If you want to impress veterans, defeat ISIS or come up with solutions with the VA, PTSD, TBI, etc....What you did with some requirements for some scholarship sounds great and all, but is that supposed to wow people enough to get admitted?

What should you not say?  How about don't say anything stupid and don't ask stupid questions.

Should you study the bios of every professor?   Maybe familiarize yourself with some names, but if you have any social skills, why not get to know people in a normal manner by talking & listening? 

If you don't want to sound like a snob, then don't.  If you want to talk about what you did for veterans, mention it in your resume or essay on your application or ask the people who wrote a letter of recommendation to mention it.

Do you think after attending this info meeting and charming some professors, they will immediately rave about you to the Admissions Committee?

If you're going to panic on an internet forum message board, how are you going to handle yourself at an actual event?

My advice - don't go.  Why?  Because this "info" meeting isn't what you think it is.

From the beginning, your post sounded bizarre.  Schools typically have info meetings BEFORE their application deadline...not AFTER.  

And providing dinner?  That sounds really generous of them, unless participants are expected to pay for it.

It's no surprise the meeting is confusing since it's listed on the Social Work website...but if you investigate it further, the info meeting doesn't appear to be just for social work.

From their website, it says "Learn about the breadth of programming available – 30 degrees available." and "Go further with a KU degree. Prospective students are invited to learn about the graduate and undergraduate programs available on the KU Edwards Campus"

But if I'm wrong, contact the Social Work department directly to see if they will be at this info meeting.  They probably are busy with reviewing applications, so it's doubtful many faculty members or professors will be at this info meeting.

If possible, take a deep breath and calm down, and just be patient as they make their decisions.  Good luck.

The fact that you made an account specifically to give "tough love" is pretty awful. If you're going to be rude, at least have the courage to use your real account.

The forum on Grad Cafe is usually pretty helpful. The people in this Social Work forum tend to provide insightful info & advice. Sorry if the following sounds harsh or mean...but this is going to be some tough love since you're open to advice.

Understandably, many people are nervous, anxious, and antsy about application decisions. If possible, try to stay calm and don't freak out.

Yes, you don't want to screw up...but seriously, use some common sense. Why are you asking questions you can answer yourself?

What should you wear? Clothes and shoes would be good. But really, do you think dress attire would be formal? What about casual? Probably not. So go safe with business casual. If you want to impress veterans, defeat ISIS or come up with solutions with the VA, PTSD, TBI, etc....What you did with some requirements for some scholarship sounds great and all, but is that supposed to wow people enough to get admitted?

What should you not say? How about don't say anything stupid and don't ask stupid questions.

Should you study the bios of every professor? Maybe familiarize yourself with some names, but if you have any social skills, why not get to know people in a normal manner by talking & listening?

If you don't want to sound like a snob, then don't. If you want to talk about what you did for veterans, mention it in your resume or essay on your application or ask the people who wrote a letter of recommendation to mention it.

My advice - don't go. Why? Because this "info" meeting isn't what you think it is.

From the beginning, your post sounded bizarre. Schools typically have info meetings BEFORE their application deadline...not AFTER.

And providing dinner? That sounds really generous of them, unless participants are expected to pay for it.

http://socwel.ku.edu/academics/degrees/msw/regular/infosession

http://edwardscampus.ku.edu/information-session

http://socwel.ku.edu/event/65738

But if I'm wrong, contact the Social Work department directly to see if they will be at this info meeting. They probably are busy with reviewing applications, so it's doubtful many faculty members or professors will be at this info meeting.

If possible, take a deep breath and calm down, and just be patient as they make their decisions. Good luck.

Help me, I'm bleeding. Oh my poor heart.

Omg lol. I wasn't really freaking out per se, just being half silly so I truly don't make a fool out of myself and thought others interested in social work would see the humor in the anxiety session provided. Yes, I'm fully aware they will be discussing other programs, but I do know that the faculty for the program I applied for will be there. Trust me, there was nothing mentioned in my application, resume or narrative statement about the scholarship. My other work stands for itself. I am attending because I want to. I want to see the campus and meet with people. I am an extrovert by nature and love to meet new people. I am nervous and there is the possibility of an informal questioning, so I am unsure what NOT to say. Thanks for the tough love actually, it made me laugh and reminded me of an LCSW I've worked with. Believe it or not, you did give me some good advice coupled with lots of snark. Although, I'm sorry you felt the post was so incredulous that you let your own emotion get the best of you to purposefully seek out a new identity to attempt to massacre my intelligence.

The fact that you made an account specifically to give "tough love" is pretty awful. If you're going to be rude, at least have the courage to use your real account.

Oh, they actually created TWO. I guess one didn't work so they made the other one. Lol

By the way. It went fine and I did get to speak with faculty and staff in the Social Welfare program, got a lot of information and questions answered. They just started reviewing regular MSW applicants from the date apps were received ( October - Feb, mine was submitted in January) and I should know something sometime in March, no later than April.