2015 SLP Admissions Thread

I just received my first acceptance to my first choice Saint Louis University! I am so so so so happy! I am grateful that they looked past my low GRE scores! Hard work pays off! I can't believe I am going to grad school in the summer! Good luck to all and let the good news keep rolling!!!! 

Congrats oneshot! Your first choice - that's fantastic! I am really happy for you  :D

I also just got accepted to SLU!  Have you toured the campus or anything? From their Facebook page I know the department's been under construction and everything is new now!

Is anyone else applying for mostly distance programs? I applied for 3 of them and have yet to hear. Plus one campus program within a reasonable distance. Let me know if you applied to Western Kentucky, East Carolina, Eastern New Mexico, or Northern Arizona. ECU is supposed to send decisions this week but I am just curious if anyone has heard from the other programs. Good luck to everyone!

I just received a call from Texas Christian University. I was accepted with a Graduate Assistantship that will pay for more than 80% of my tuition. I am in shock! Hard decisions to come.

Congrats oneshot! Your first choice - that's fantastic! I am really happy for you  :D

I also just got accepted to SLU!  Have you toured the campus or anything? From their Facebook page I know the department's been under construction and everything is new now!

Congrats!!!!! I am touring the campus in a few weeks actually! When I was at ASHA I met with SLU and talked to a few of the current grad students and they loved it!!! What is your top choice??

Is anyone else applying for mostly distance programs? I applied for 3 of them and have yet to hear. Plus one campus program within a reasonable distance. Let me know if you applied to Western Kentucky, East Carolina, Eastern New Mexico, or Northern Arizona. ECU is supposed to send decisions this week but I am just curious if anyone has heard from the other programs. Good luck to everyone!

I applied to Northern Arizona but I haven't heard anything back yet. Were you able to tour the campus or talk to anyone in the department? I wish I would have had the money to fly to all the schools I applied to to do that. As more of a general question do you think the people who do that have a higher chance of getting accepted?

Hello,

I am currently a junior and am in the process of looking at Speech Pathology graduate programs to apply to starting next fall. I currently attend the University of Wisconsin Stevens Point and have an in major GPA of 3.96 and a out of major GPA of a 3.93. I am taking the GRE this summer.

The schools that I have looked at and would love to be accepted to are University of Washington, George Washington University, Rush University, University of Minnesota, and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I am worried that my goals might be too high and that there are going to be plenty of very qualified applicants who apply to these programs too. I don't know what these programs look for in applicants that they accept to their program.

I did my post-bac classes through NAU so I have interacted with some of the staff but I don't think a school would give preference to a student just for coming to tour. They get so many applications and most likely wouldn't match a name with a face unless you did an actual interview. Just my opinion. Flagstaff is a beautiful place, though, and I would recommend it for grad school. I live 45 minutes away so I would be commuting. I am getting so impatient to receive some results! :)

I did my post-bac classes through NAU so I have interacted with some of the staff but I don't think a school would give preference to a student just for coming to tour. They get so many applications and most likely wouldn't match a name with a face unless you did an actual interview. Just my opinion. Flagstaff is a beautiful place, though, and I would recommend it for grad school. I live 45 minutes away so I would be commuting. I am getting so impatient to receive some results! :)

Hi! I have also applied to NAU but for the summer program, being a current student do you know how many people apply for the summer program? Is it a lot? And do you know when we will start to hear news? I am also so anxious!! Thanks!

Edited by jenbugg86

Hello,

I am currently a junior and am in the process of looking at Speech Pathology graduate programs to apply to starting next fall. I currently attend the University of Wisconsin Stevens Point and have an in major GPA of 3.96 and a out of major GPA of a 3.93. I am taking the GRE this summer.

The schools that I have looked at and would love to be accepted to are University of Washington, George Washington University, Rush University, University of Minnesota, and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I am worried that my goals might be too high and that there are going to be plenty of very qualified applicants who apply to these programs too. I don't know what these programs look for in applicants that they accept to their program.

Your GPA's are really good! Not every school focuses strongly on just GPA and GRE schools though. Some schools look at the applicant as a whole. My advice would try to be involved, join a NSSLHA chapter. And also volunteer a lot. It shows that you're really interested in the field. 

Hi! I have also applied to NAU but for the summer program, being a current student do you know how many people apply for the summer program? Is it a lot? And do you know when we will start to hear news? I am also so anxious!! Thanks!

The statistics are good for getting into the summers only program. I don't know your scores or history but they take 58% of applicants, which is so much better than the full time program or the other schools I applied for. Initially, that's the program I was hoping for but I couldn't get part time speech employment in the small town where I live. I have no idea when they are sending out decisions but the wait is making me (and my husband and kids) crazy! :) Good luck to you! I had a friend who went through that program and loved it.

I got my first acceptance today. What a way to go into an interview I have tomorrow. With confidence!

Congrats!!! It's so great to finally get validation for all that hard work. Good luck with your interview!

Congrats!!! It's so great to finally get validation for all that hard work. Good luck with your interview!

How did your interview with USU go? Any stumping questions? 

I got an email from MGH telling me to check my portal later today. I'm guessing that isn't good news. 

same here hahaha. MGH gave me alot of problems anyway and its too expensive for me as well! hahah. 

onedayslp,

I got this too! I was very confused, and then a little bit later I got an email with a decision letter saying I was accepted!!! Definitely made my day. No mention of funding though...on their website they said funding letters accompany decision letters so does this mean I didn't receive funding? Hmm.