Boston College

kurkz

Do you know when we should hear back?! Mine was sent in right around the same time. I am nervous because they dont have a large acceptance rate and I really am interested in their global program!

I did! I'm nervous too but the global program is the sell point for me as well. I was getting slightly discouraged because I read one the website that there are some pretty intense criteria you have to meet in order to do the concentration (ie language skills, two years of related work) do you know anything more about this? I'm dying to find out if I got in or not.

I applied and will be attending actually. My application was considered complete on December 1st and I found out February 3rd. The deadline was January 15th so it took like 3 weeks for me to find out id say

I also got into BC and strongly thinking of going. I am coming from FL as well. 

I did! I'm nervous too but the global program is the sell point for me as well. I was getting slightly discouraged because I read one the website that there are some pretty intense criteria you have to meet in order to do the concentration (ie language skills, two years of related work) do you know anything more about this? I'm dying to find out if I got in or not.

Hey there hopefulmsw, I'm a first year Macro student at BC and several of my classmates just got accepted into the Global program.  They told me the interview process wasn't too bad.  Certaintly it makes you a stronger candidate if you have relevant work experience and language skills (esp. Spanish), but I know of a few students who are working within the U.S. in the Global program.  When I get to class next week, I'll ask a couple of them what the pre-requisities were and I'll get back to you.

nighwolf I'd be interested in this too. I applied last year but deferred to this fall. I remember being surprised when I received my acceptance materials at the requirements for the Global program.

Hey there hopefulmsw, I'm a first year Macro student at BC and several of my classmates just got accepted into the Global program.  They told me the interview process wasn't too bad.  Certaintly it makes you a stronger candidate if you have relevant work experience and language skills (esp. Spanish), but I know of a few students who are working within the U.S. in the Global program.  When I get to class next week, I'll ask a couple of them what the pre-requisities were and I'll get back to you.

Hi! I am strongly considering BC but the cost is scaring me. How would you rate the overall program from your experience? What are the cheapest and safest neighborhoods close to campus? Also is there a specific websites to find other grad school roommates?

(sorry for all the questions) 

@moonbeam2900 what were your stats if you don't mind sharing? And also were you notified via email first?

I was notified by email first on February 3rd and the letter came 1 week later with scholarship info, id #s, etc.

I'm a Clinical/Children/Youth/Families concentration (btw) BUT i majored in psychology and had a 3.6 gpa for the last 2 years, 3.4 overall, currently work as a case manager at a mental health center and facilitate and after-school play therapy group with kids who lost a relative from suicide, cancer, etc. Also, do a similar program with teenage girls in jail. Umm LOTS of research during my undergrad. Those were probably the most relevant stats to get me in i think

I also got into BC and strongly thinking of going. I am coming from FL as well. 

Awesome! I heard back from all of my schools just this past weekend so 99.9% positive im going to BC actually :) Where in FL out of curiosity?  

Awesome! I heard back from all of my schools just this past weekend so 99.9% positive im going to BC actually :) Where in FL out of curiosity?  

From Ft. Lauderdale.  I didn't even apply to any FL schools as a safety, I meant to apply to FSU but I didn't get around to taking my GRE.  UW is my top choice but I was told they offer little to no aid. I've been strongly leaning to BC and I don't even know why, an inkling I suppose. (BC Advanced Placement)

From Ft. Lauderdale.  I didn't even apply to any FL schools as a safety, I meant to apply to FSU but I didn't get around to taking my GRE.  UW is my top choice but I was told they offer little to no aid. I've been strongly leaning to BC and I don't even know why, an inkling I suppose. (BC Advanced Placement)

Cool i'm Tampa area. Yea the dreaded GRE I didnt take them either. I applied to USF since that's where I went to undergrad but it was safety/last choice. Well hopefully you find out from UW soon since it is your first choice and then you can make a decision :)

Hey there hopefulmsw, I'm a first year Macro student at BC and several of my classmates just got accepted into the Global program. They told me the interview process wasn't too bad. Certaintly it makes you a stronger candidate if you have relevant work experience and language skills (esp. Spanish), but I know of a few students who are working within the U.S. in the Global program. When I get to class next week, I'll ask a couple of them what the pre-requisities were and I'll get back to you.

Hi! I am strongly considering BC but the cost is scaring me. How would you rate the overall program from your experience? What are the cheapest and safest neighborhoods close to campus? Also is there a specific websites to find other grad school roommates?

(sorry for all the questions) 

Good afternoon Drdoom,

I believe the overall program is really good.  BC has the only Social Work library in the entire New England area.  The professors are really knowledgeable and resourceful, and the field placement advisors are excellent as well.  Yes, the price tag is quite steep especially when you factor in the cost of living here in Boston.  Although I'm one of the anomalies who has their education fully covered (thanks to the VA since I'm a Veteran), generally speaking most students receive some form of scholarship $ to offset the tuition costs.  If the cost is scaring you, you could opt for the 3-4 year part-time program and pick up a graduate assistantship on-campus that provides some tuition remission as a form of $ compensation + a small monthly stipend.  I have a good friend of mine who's in the part-time program who did just that; however, the thing to keep in mind is that most of these require between 15-25 hrs a week.  Depending on whether you choose the 3 or 4 yr part-time program, you'll eventually be in field placement between 2-3x a week. 

As for the safest and cheapest neighborhoods close to campus, Allston/Brighton is a really good neighborhood to live in.  My wife and I live in Brighton right along the B line on the MBTA (a straight shot to campus) and are within a 15 min walk as well.  My wife and I pay approx. $1700 a month in rent; however, depending on the # of roommates you get, you'll most likely be paying around $800 a month for a room.  I would HIGHLY recommend NOT bringing a car into Boston.  So far this winter we've received over 100" of snow which has caused quite a mess for finding parking spots let alone the commute (to say the least).  Should you bring a car, I'd recommend getting MA plates & a resident parking sticker or finding an apartment which offers paid parking.  Generally speaking most paid parking spots can avg. around $150 a month and you would be able to negate having to switch plates & registration to MA.  The town of Brookline is quite expensive, so I'd stay away from there. 

Lastly, with respect to the website question regarding roommates, BC has the following website:  https://offcampushousing.bc.edu/  You will need to log-in with your BC credentials.

I hope this information helps.

Good afternoon Drdoom,

I believe the overall program is really good.  BC has the only Social Work library in the entire New England area.  The professors are really knowledgeable and resourceful, and the field placement advisors are excellent as well.  Yes, the price tag is quite steep especially when you factor in the cost of living here in Boston.  Although I'm one of the anomalies who has their education fully covered (thanks to the VA since I'm a Veteran), generally speaking most students receive some form of scholarship $ to offset the tuition costs.  If the cost is scaring you, you could opt for the 3-4 year part-time program and pick up a graduate assistantship on-campus that provides some tuition remission as a form of $ compensation + a small monthly stipend.  I have a good friend of mine who's in the part-time program who did just that; however, the thing to keep in mind is that most of these require between 15-25 hrs a week.  Depending on whether you choose the 3 or 4 yr part-time program, you'll eventually be in field placement between 2-3x a week. 

As for the safest and cheapest neighborhoods close to campus, Allston/Brighton is a really good neighborhood to live in.  My wife and I live in Brighton right along the B line on the MBTA (a straight shot to campus) and are within a 15 min walk as well.  My wife and I pay approx. $1700 a month in rent; however, depending on the # of roommates you get, you'll most likely be paying around $800 a month for a room.  I would HIGHLY recommend NOT bringing a car into Boston.  So far this winter we've received over 100" of snow which has caused quite a mess for finding parking spots let alone the commute (to say the least).  Should you bring a car, I'd recommend getting MA plates & a resident parking sticker or finding an apartment which offers paid parking.  Generally speaking most paid parking spots can avg. around $150 a month and you would be able to negate having to switch plates & registration to MA.  The town of Brookline is quite expensive, so I'd stay away from there. 

Lastly, with respect to the website question regarding roommates, BC has the following website:  https://offcampushousing.bc.edu/  You will need to log-in with your BC credentials.

I hope this information helps.

Thank You!  I am very appreciative of your response.  A lot of my research matches up to what you said so I know I am on the right path.  I replaced my car less than a year ago to something new because it was totalled so I won't be leaving my baby at home but I will be switching to boston plates (maybe uber my car for some extra cash since it will be parked a lot it sounds). Your current winter has scared this FL boy though. I also made a BC offcampus housing profile just two days ago, my only wish is for more grad postings. BC gave me a scholarship that covers about 40% of my tuition which is good but compared to my other option but not the best, when I factor in the cost of living in Boston. My goal is to take out no more than 25k in loans. Boston is pulling me in though.  Again thank you.  

Hey guys! I am also a Floridian who just got accepted into the MSW program. However, I am a transfer Clinical Social Work student and will be finishing up my final year at BC. My greatest concern is housing and finding roommates. It's hard getting this all ready when I'm wayyy down here. Another issue concerning me is securing a second year field placement and getting all the paperwork ready. I may need to arrange a trip up there (when the weather gets better, of course) to take care of those matters.  

Hey guys! I am also a Floridian who just got accepted into the MSW program. However, I am a transfer Clinical Social Work student and will be finishing up my final year at BC. My greatest concern is housing and finding roommates. It's hard getting this all ready when I'm wayyy down here. Another issue concerning me is securing a second year field placement and getting all the paperwork ready. I may need to arrange a trip up there (when the weather gets better, of course) to take care of those matters.

I completely understand you! I feel I need to make a trip earlier than August before I actually get up there. I think I need to move up earlier than August :x Did you complete the field placement application? That is definitely the first step to start the process of being placed

I called today and my application is still being reviewed! UGH! hurry hurry BC!

This week is spring break for them btw. Patience lol easier said than done I know but hopefully you hear soon. Good luck!

I completely understand you! I feel I need to make a trip earlier than August before I actually get up there. I think I need to move up earlier than August :x Did you complete the field placement application? That is definitely the first step to start the process of being placed

I finished my field placement application yesterday! *fingers crossed* :)