Change of plan late in my senior year...now what?

mmr08

I am a senior math major at a decent state university. I have been preparing for a career as an actuary for most of my undergraduate career, but after working for nearly a year as an actuarial intern with a financial company, I have decided that it is not the right path for me.

I am have completed around 18 hours of economics coursework, and feel that economics is really a better fit. I would ultimately like to pursue a career in some kind of international economic development, perhaps in the non-profit sector. I would like suggestions on master's programs that may prepare me for this kind of work. I am not opposed to PhD programs, but in my current state, I see no possibility of admission into any reputable programs (I don't have any research experience, and I am not particularly close to any economists that could write thoughtful  letters of recommendation for me). 

I would also like opinions on what my next move should be...I am considering staying at my university for another year to complete a bachelor's in economics (since it is too late into the academic year for me to apply to master's programs for the 2015-16 year). Is this a good idea? Furthermore, does anyone have any suggestions for internships or other experiences that may help me with admissions into a program?

Thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think getting a second bachelor's in economics is a bad idea. It's only a year anyway, right? Can you do some research while you are working on the degree? What about a related internship or job experience?

Yeah, staying an extra year for economics makes sense.

Have you considered a Master's in economics or MPA?

One thing that helped me was once I decided on a field I was interested in, I contacted advisors and professors from various grad schools and introduced myself and my situation, interests, and goals....and while some professors are busy, surprisingly, some can be pretty friendly and helpful, and they can give specific advice.

So maybe you can find people who work and/or teach economics or international economic development who can guide your further.

I went to grad school the first time around for Economics.  I would say half our class did not have a degree in economics, and some had only taken a couple economics classes at all.  If you have a strong math background, that is much more important because a graduate degree in economics is all about math.  The research experience would be a big plus though, if staying an extra year would allow you to develop that, I would do it (assuming it's financially viable).