Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGS)

vhym06

Anyone applying for the Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGS) - for nationals of developing countries wishing to pursue Masters in Development/Public Policy/Public Admin/Econs, etc?

Info here :

http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/WBI/EXTWBISFP/EXTJJWBGSP/0,,contentMDK:20276784~menuPK:551652~pagePK:64168427~piPK:64168435~theSitePK:551644,00.html

Does anyone find the question on "Financing" strange? I feel like they are referring to the Masters Programme that is being applied for, though they mention "earning your highest university degree" (meaning a degree you have already earned)?

Quote:

"At the current US exchange rate, what is your best estimate of the total cost (tuition and other university fees) of earning your highest university degree? [enter amount in US $] *"

Indicate by percentage, the source of financing for earning your highest university degree.

Loans.... Self... .Family... Employer... Scholarship/Fellowship...

Unquote

Any insight on this?

@techboy - thanks! my undergraduate degree was at a local state univ, so fees were way way wayyyy cheaper (25% by merit scholarship, rest by family funding) than the MPP programs I'm applying to now. Not sure how much impact this info will have on my application. hmm.

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about applying to the JJ/WBGS, but I'm uncertain whether I fulfill the eligibility criteria. They specifically ask for a bachelor's degree obtained before 2012. I finished all of my undergrad subjects in 2011, but my graduation was in March 2012. I would normally just write them an email asking about it but they say on their FAQ that no exceptions regarding the eligibility criteria are made, and that every applicant should assess if he/she is eligible or not.

I just don't feel like asking for recommendation letters to apply if they won't even consider my application.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about applying to the JJ/WBGS, but I'm uncertain whether I fulfill the eligibility criteria. They specifically ask for a bachelor's degree obtained before 2012. I finished all of my undergrad subjects in 2011, but my graduation was in March 2012. I would normally just write them an email asking about it but they say on their FAQ that no exceptions regarding the eligibility criteria are made, and that every applicant should assess if he/she is eligible or not.

I just don't feel like asking for recommendation letters to apply if they won't even consider my application.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I tried looking at Japanese websites to see if there was any clarification, but it seems that all the information in Japanese talks about the requirements for Japanese nationals and not those of developing countries.

I think the real reason they list that is because they require 3 years of full-time professional experience in development. The 2014 scholarship mentions that you needed a degree received before 2011. In Japan, the academic and fiscal year ends in March and begins in April, so it's possible that it could be considered for the 2011-2012 academic year. In your case, I think I would really e-mail them and ask for clarification.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know about the results?

Hi Cags,

The decision will not come in time before the deadline to accept admissions offers... If you check the scholarship site, it says ::

Quote:

Attention:

The call for applicants from developing countries is now closed. Selected finalists will be notified by email by the end of July 2015. Unsuccessful applicants will not be notified.

Unquote

http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/WBI/EXTWBISFP/EXTJJWBGSP/0,,contentMDK:20276784~menuPK:551652~pagePK:64168427~piPK:64168435~theSitePK:551644,00.html

Edited by vhym06

I tried emailing them last week. Haven't got any reply until now and I tried calling them but 'the answer was simply we do not give updates to individuals, our team will reply to your email'. Would by any chance, anyone knows when last year's award recipient got their news? The timeline doesn't quite match the school. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

Let's wait for May 14th !!!

The JJWBGSP 2015 call for applicants from developing countries is now closed. Semifinalists will be notified by email of their status by May 14, 2015 and required to send in their unconditional letter of acceptance to a preferred master’s program and copy of ID. Please refer to the application guidelines for further details.

Please note that if you are selected as a semifinalist this does not guarantee that you will be offered the scholarship. Semifinalists have only passed the first phase of selection and competition will still be fierce. Semifinalists who are selected for the scholarship will be notified by email by the end of July 2015. Unsuccessful applicants will not be notified.

The program is not accepting any inquiries at this time regarding the status of applications, either by phone, fax or email.

http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/WBI/EXTWBISFP/EXTJJWBGSP/0,,contentMDK:20285740~menuPK:556575~pagePK:64168445~piPK:64168309~theSitePK:551644,00.html 

Hi, 

Let's wait for May 14th !!!

The JJWBGSP 2015 call for applicants from developing countries is now closed. Semifinalists will be notified by email of their status by May 14, 2015 and required to send in their unconditional letter of acceptance to a preferred master’s program and copy of ID. Please refer to the application guidelines for further details.

Please note that if you are selected as a semifinalist this does not guarantee that you will be offered the scholarship. Semifinalists have only passed the first phase of selection and competition will still be fierce. Semifinalists who are selected for the scholarship will be notified by email by the end of July 2015. Unsuccessful applicants will not be notified.

The program is not accepting any inquiries at this time regarding the status of applications, either by phone, fax or email.

http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/WBI/EXTWBISFP/EXTJJWBGSP/0,,contentMDK:20285740~menuPK:556575~pagePK:64168445~piPK:64168309~theSitePK:551644,00.html 

Cags,

THANK YOU SO MUCH! At least we won't have to wait till July to get some indication of hope (haha)... now... 2+ more days till 14 May. Good luck everyone!!

Hi Guys,

i am Arif from Indonesia.

I also applied JJWBGSP 2015 (Preferred University) : MPA programme in University of Bradford, UK.  At the moment, I have been offered scholarship from Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, NUS for MPA Programme. However, I still wait for the outcome of JJWBGSP. Hope for the best.

Good luck everyone

Has anyone received email yet ? It's 14th may , eagerly awaiting . If someone has received mail , please share with us , so that we know that decision has been made :) 

Has anyone received email yet ? It's 14th may , eagerly awaiting . If someone has received mail , please share with us , so that we know that decision has been made :)

I didn't receive the email yet. But I believe it will take couple of hours. Maybe afternoon(EDT)?