Penn State 2015

danica1

Figured I may as well start this one! I have officially accepted my offer to the PhD program in Applied Linguistics and am very happy about my decision. Anyone else out there going to Penn State? 

I'm currently a first year at PSU so if you have any questions about State College let me know! :)

Thanks! From what I hear it's a quaint town - although a little isolated. It made me nervous at first, but I think it'll be fine. Maybe I'll take up hiking or something  :lol:

I'm currently a first year at PSU so if you have any questions about State College let me know! :)

Same here!  Feel free to PM if desired as well.

Here's a question for those of you familiar with the area (I'm really not):  I've been living in a city of almost 9 million people for the past four years . . . and I am really not a city person!  I am an introvert who oh-so-sincerely dreams of having a personal bubble once again.  I would absolutely LOVE to live in a small, quiet town, and I noticed that there are several that seemed appealing around the Harrisburg campus (where I'll be going, assuming the funding comes through).  From a practicality standpoint, how is the commute if I lived in, say, Elizabethtown?  Or Hershey, perhaps?  I want to be in a quiet area that isn't next-door to campus but also isn't going to be a pain in the neck to drive to and from each day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends--

I went to State for my undergrad and will be returning this Fall for my MBA.  I'd love to be able to connect with as many grad students as possible while there, especially because I still would love to be able to go out and have fun to blow off steam during the stressful academic year!

Hi.

I will be going to PSU for my PhD in economics this fall!

Lots of questions about housing. The following to begin with:-

1. What's the average rent (including utilities)?
  2. Is living far from campus advisable if I don't have a car?
  3. When should I start looking for housing if i need it in the first week of August?

Hi.

I will be going to PSU for my PhD in economics this fall!

Lots of questions about housing. The following to begin with:-

• What's the average rent (including utilities)?
  • Is living far from campus advisable if I don't have a car?
  • When should I start looking for housing if i need it in the first week of August?

1) Average rent is really going to vary on where you live, how many roommates you live with, and the quality of the apartment. Studios downtown can cost as much as two bedrooms out of town.

2) If you don't have a car, I would advise living downtown, or on one of the busier bus lines. (Martin St, Aaron Drive, Vairo Blvd) Being close to a grocery store would help also.

3) I would start looking ASAP. There are plenty of listings on Craigslist already. If you want advice on a particular place/ area, feel free to ask here or PM. :)

I am currently a Penn State undergrad and I have just been accepted into the masters program for CSD. Waiting until now to find housing has made the process a lot more difficult since most places are pricey if you don't have a roommate.  :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Starting a PhD in chemistry this fall and I'm pretty excited! However, I'm not sure how I'd handle the change in environment as I'm used to living in big cities :(

Hey I am in the same boat. I found an apartment in downtown Harrisburg. It provides an easy enough commute to Hershey but still puts me in the middle of a city-like environment. Maybe that will help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.I am a newly admitted PhD student going to the penn state college of medicine, hershey PA at the first week of august. I am seeking for a roommate to share a 2 bedroom apartment on campus and also making friends. give me a message if you are interested :)