Camus Visit...what's going to happen!?

Carrot123

Hi all, 

I am heading to a school that I have been "unofficially accepted" to, for a math phd program, next weekend and I feel so lost! 

Please help! What is going to happen during this weekend? What will the interviews be like/what should I be prepared to answer and ask? How can I talk to a professor about their research that is way over my head without sounding like a complete idiot? And finally, what's up with this "unofficially accepted" nonsense...is it possible that I will be retroactively rejected after this weekend?

Let me know what you think, please!

"Unofficially accepted" most likely means that the department has recommended your application to the graduate school for acceptance. This means that the department itself has voted you in, they just need the okay from the graduate school's administration before they make you an official offer with financial details and everything. That would be my guess, anyway.

As far campus visits, just go and have fun getting to know people. If they've invited you to campus, they probably believe you have the technical strengths to complete the program. At this point they want a chance to get to know what you're like as a person and they want to give you a chance to get to know the department. So, just be yourself, and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. My personal safeguard against not sounding stupid is not pretending to know something that I really don't -- or at least not talking about it, anyway.

I was invited for campus visit for master program. I interviewed with 5 faculty. However, it's more like chatting than formal interview. I also had a great time with the students. To be honest, they are trying to impress you and give you the chance to know more about the department. Prepare all your questions regarding to the program. It's a good time to ask either the faculty or the students.