Decision Date before other university sends out acceptance?

RachaelMC

Hi, 

I applied to three programs and have been accepted at Ryerson with funding. Yay! The trouble is, I'm also interested in attending U of Amsterdam, and was hoping to be able to wait for their decision before deciding for myself. Ryerson wants to hear back by March 7th (I just found out I was admitted last night - these guys work fast) and Amsterdam probably won't decide until April 1st. Should I accept Ryerson and forget Amsterdam? As far as I can see, the only advantage is that Amsterdam gives the chance to live in Europe, which I would absolutely love but which is achievable in other ways down the road. I also doubt I'll get funding, since I'm international and don't have a genius academic history. In terms of program quality, I think they're about equal, with maybe an advantage to Ryerson. Thoughts?

Edited by RachaelMC

Congrats! In my opinion, I think you should confirm Ryerson's offer first. I think you can always decline later after acceptance, and they will just give your spot to someone esle? Also, may I ask if your offer is given because you have completed undergrad or still finishing undergrad?

Edited by gradapplicant15

I've been out of undergrad for almost two years. They do ask for a $500.00 confirmation deposit, so I would lose that if I accepted and then left, but that seems like a small enough price to pay. Going to take a little bit of time to think about it. 

Hey! I was also accepted to a program at Ryerson (Urban Planning) but the deposit isn't due for a month or two. Are you sure you've read it right? (Sorry to sound condescending, but for your sake I'm hoping this is the case!)

No, I asked the person from the department and she confirmed it. I guess it varies by program!

Sorry to hear! I would accept the offer, personally. Judging from your original post, it sounds like you may be leaning a bit towards Ryerson anyway. Do they have an international option to take a semester abroad? 

Also the student housing situation in Amsterdam is insane. Keep that in mind.

They do! Several in the United States (including one which I'm applying for, but is probably too expensive at American tuition rates) and at least one further afield - France. That's a good point.