Any additional undergrad classes you recommend???

It looks like I will have a light load both semesters next year - I was wondering if there are extra classes (like maybe linguistics or child development or English etc) that you wish you had taken prior to your Masters?

Or extra classes outside of the major that you are really glad that you did take?

Thx!

I don't know what your university offers, but outside of the obvious child development, dev psych, linguistics, etc., you may want to see if there are courses you can take that help you think more about diversity and culture! Depending on where you wind up clinically, you will have to work with a lot of people who are different from you. It's amazing how much a college course that seems unrelated to CSD can really be applicable to clinical practice just because it stretches our ability to empathize! See if there are any light workload courses at your school that are known for interesting discussions and stretching your brain. :) Good luck!

Everything you listed would be great. See what fits best in your schedule and doesn't seem to be too challenging! Here's a couple other recommendations:

Cognition could be useful - many people we'll work with with brain injuries may have cognitive difficulties on top of any communication difficulties. It's good to be aware of these challenges more in depth. I've also thought that it tied in nicely after taking neuroanatomy.

This is more specific, but I took a class on family involvement. When working with children, the family piece is especially important and I've found gets brought up in my classes a lot. It's nice having that foundation and knowledge coming in. I also found the topic extremely interesting.

Counseling - I didn't take this class and (sort of) regret it. Counseling is very important when working with all populations and some programs do not have an in-depth course on it. The client-SLP relationship can make or break the outcome of therapy so developing strong relationships with our clients is key. Having a background in counseling can definitely help you do that.

But in the end, you should take whatever you want! Whether it's related to SLP or not. This will probably be the last chance you have to take a class you are truly interested in that may not be "relevant" or "relevant enough" to be able to take in grad school. If it happens to overlap somehow with the field, that's great. But if not, that's great too. Just make sure it's something you enjoy and won't make you work too hard!

I don't know what your university offers, but outside of the obvious child development, dev psych, linguistics, etc., you may want to see if there are courses you can take that help you think more about diversity and culture! Depending on where you wind up clinically, you will have to work with a lot of people who are different from you. It's amazing how much a college course that seems unrelated to CSD can really be applicable to clinical practice just because it stretches our ability to empathize! See if there are any light workload courses at your school that are known for interesting discussions and stretching your brain. :) Good luck!

Hey pmarie, I noticed you're still completing your undergrad which will likely  be my case next year. I just wanted to know if you finished most of the CSD prereqs courses that the schools you got in asked for? A few of my prereqs  will be in progress but not complete by the time I apply... Hope that won't be a bad thing.

Hey pmarie, I noticed you're still completing your undergrad which will likely  be my case next year. I just wanted to know if you finished most of the CSD prereqs courses that the schools you got in asked for? A few of my prereqs  will be in progress but not complete by the time I apply... Hope that won't be a bad thing.

Yes, I had, but I still have one that I'm finishing up. Both acceptances stated that they required my official transcripts from my final semester if I decide to attend, showing that I have actually completed my prereqs. SDSU actually calls their acceptance a "conditional" acceptance, provided you receive your bachelors in CSD. If I'm not mistaken (and someone please correct me if I am!) ASHA-approved undergrad programs should give you all of the prereqs you need. Schools definitely don't hold it against you that your degree is in progress when you apply, though! :)

If you know where you want to work (state-wise) and in which setting, it might be a good idea to look into licensing requirements. For example, I know that North Dakota requires school SLP's to have taken a class in Native American culture before they are able to be fully licensed - not sure how many states do that, but always good to look into! 

I definitely second taking a course in counseling though, such a huge part of our profession! 

If you know what schools you will be applying to, definitely double check their list of pre-reqs to make sure you have all of them.

Other than that, if you haven't already taken it, I'd totally recommend an intro to social/cultural anthropology class - it's a lot more applicable than you may think!

It looks good to have some psychology classes. In a recent grad school interview I was asked about what classes I've taken outside of CSD that would be helpful. I was able to use a lot of my psychology background for that question which I think (hopefully) impressed the interviewers. I would recommend taking behavioral psychology courses like Learning and Conditioning or Behavior Modification. They are very relevant for individuals with special needs or difficult behaviors. Much of what I learned in those courses are directly related to fluency disorder interventions as well. They really carry over nicely to many areas of SLP. 

I'm not entering grad school until the fall, but my opinion is any linguistics class, or psychology or cognitive science class related to language. I think having a deeper scientific understanding of language is really important. I've also taken a couple classes in children's cognitive development that I've found really cool and will be helpful knowledge to have when working with kids.