In-state vs. out-of-state funding

sighborg

hi all,

I've been accepted to a program in my state of residence with tuition remission, stipend, and health insurance, and while my stipend is very generous, it's still much less than living wage in this city. I'm trying to figure out ways to negotiate a little bit better of a package, and my question is this (and it might be a stupid one, so bear with me): are programs technically paying less overall for in-state candidates than for out-of-state candidates? for example, for University X, in-state tuition is $4000 and out-of-state is $10000. candidate A is in-state and candidate B is out-of-state. both have a stipend of $9000. is the program actually paying out more for candidate B ($19000) than candidate A ($13000)?

and more importantly, is this an appropriate thing to bring up with the DGS in trying to negotiate a more reasonable stipend/funding package?

thanks for the input!

In my experience the better bet for negotiating funding is trying to guarantee a 12 month salary instead of a 9 month. That way, they aren't actually paying you more, because they might be giving you summer funding anyway! 

I do not think the tactic you are using doing instate vs out of state is reasonable because after 1 year they will be qualified for instate tuition. So while someone for the first year might be making more, the second year it evens out. Thats the price of bringing in great candidates, I do not think you have any leverage there.

If this in state program is higher ranked, or if other programs do not off you funding, then you really don't have leverage as well.