Calc and Stat

Wozezeka

I took Statistics in college, but I don't think I learned much (foreign professor who I couldn't understand!) and it was a few years ago. I also never took calculus. I've been accepted to two school so far. Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest, but I've already been accepted to my top choice. Anyway, neither of them stated that I am required to take these classes as pre-recs but I think I might do so anyway. I think it will help me in class and if I decide to eventually do a PhD it would help as well.

Do y'all know of any cheap but credible online classes? It would have to be short in duration, I can't take the classes while I am working (too busy at work 70+ hours a week)

UC Berkeley Extension and UCLA Extension would be good options to look into (I can't speak as to whether they have the specific courses you're looking for, though I'd be interested in hearing about it if they do). Their courses run between $500-$1000 each, I believe, and are accepted by at least some of the IR programs.

Wow, I appreciate the post, but we have different definitions of cheap. I'm talking $300 or less.

Last spring, I did a pretty thorough search of community college programs and online programs, and I couldn't find anything cheaper than what I took at UCLA Extension, which cost $595. Given that you're working full-time right now, I think you might end up valuing flexibility over cost. The UCLA course in microeconomics was completely online, and just required me to do quizzes online, post short answers, and take a short exam. Nothing had to be proctored through online, and many of the other programs I looked at did. (I think Berkeley required me to find a proctor, or to mail my hard copy of the exam back to them.) So take that into consideration. Finally, if you want it to count as a pre-requisite for classes and come away with a credit-bearing transcript, there's a price for that. Good luck.

Last spring, I did a pretty thorough search of community college programs and online programs, and I couldn't find anything cheaper than what I took at UCLA Extension, which cost $595. Given that you're working full-time right now, I think you might end up valuing flexibility over cost. The UCLA course in microeconomics was completely online, and just required me to do quizzes online, post short answers, and take a short exam. Nothing had to be proctored through online, and many of the other programs I looked at did. (I think Berkeley required me to find a proctor, or to mail my hard copy of the exam back to them.) So take that into consideration. Finally, if you want it to count as a pre-requisite for classes and come away with a credit-bearing transcript, there's a price for that. Good luck.

Hi chocolatecheesecake, Did you look into Cal online classes as well? Which cal class would you suggest?

Is anyone taking online cal classes? Would be very interested to look into the options,  and hear about the learning experience!!!

Greetings!

Adding my 2 cents:

If you are not concerned about credit-bearing and your only goal is only "refreshing" or "getting a solid introduction" of the courses, I would suggest any Open Course platforms (MIT, Harvard, Princeton and many others have their own platforms), also Coursera and similar are popular options.

Edited by Xperto