How to ask for more financial aid

alleykattt

I sent an email to the director of admissions of a pretty prestigious school saying I wanted to attend but was hesitant to commit due to financial limitations/asking the school to reconsider my scholarship package. They did, asked me a few basic questions, and a few days later had given me another $5,000 - on the basis of an email. It never hurts to ask. Just be proactive and honest and professional. As they say in Spain, "ya tienes el 'no'" - you already have the "no"...might as well ask and try for a "yes." 

I sent an email to the director of admissions of a pretty prestigious school saying I wanted to attend but was hesitant to commit due to financial limitations/asking the school to reconsider my scholarship package. They did, asked me a few basic questions, and a few days later had given me another $5,000 - on the basis of an email. It never hurts to ask. Just be proactive and honest and professional. As they say in Spain, "ya tienes el 'no'" - you already have the "no"...might as well ask and try for a "yes." 

That pretty cool to hear. Is it bad to ask for more, then not end up going? Did they press you to make a decision after you were awarded more aid. 

In my case, I didn't feel more pressure/they didn't ask me to decide any earlier. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for more, even if you don't end up enrolling - especially if you make sure to let them know by their decision deadline (because then maybe that money that they offered you can go to someone else). As unfortunate as it is, higher ed is a business, and as an applicant/admitted student, you are the customer. So I'd say be as assertive as you can be because if you aren't someone else will be and, ultimately, the "product" you are buying is not essential - you have the power here. 

Just an update...the same school awarded me another $8,000 in scholarships today. So as a result of one email, I received an additional $13,000.

I'm so happy for you! What wonderful news!