Would you help a lost brazilian?

Hey guys,

So, I'm an int student (my nickname kind of gives it up haha) and hope to get some advice applying for a phd. I'll finish med school by october next year. I was wondering if there are schools that allow me to apply on 2015 and start at the end of 2016, beginning of 2017. This fall/spring semester is rather confusing. I'm currently thinking about applying to Harvard BBS (dream program) and others in UK, like Oxbridge, KCL, UCL. I'll have a 6 years lab experience, plus two summer internships at Mcmaster and University of Sao Paulo by the end of my undergrad. My grades are 8.2/10. Am I dreaming on applying this year/ to these universities?

Any comment is appreciated!

The way most programs work in the US/UK is that you submit an application in fall/winter (December-January), hear back about admissions decisions in the spring (February-April), and start the program the following fall (September or October). I know it's a bit different from the application cycle in other countries, so hopefully that helps.

As for your chances of getting into those specific programs, I have no idea. I do know that USP is well regarded among academic institutions here in the US so you have at least that going for you!

Good luck!

Edited by womp

I'm Brazilian and just got admitted to both Oxford and Cambridge (for a Master's, but the procedure is similar). It is definitely possible, just work on the stuff everybody else does (have as much meaningful research  experience as possible, perfect LoR, high GRE scores for the U.S, graduate-level courses if applicable and good TOEFL/IELTS scores) and try to get decent faculty contact in target institutions. The next application round should begin in August/September and I recommend you complete your application as soon as possible once they are open. Also, ensure good grades in the GRE and get rid of it as soon as possible (so you'll have time to take it again should you need it).

Hey, Feanor, thank you for the comment. It's reassuring to know of a successful brazilian grad application. And thank you for the tips, I'm working on my GRE for U.S and on publications as well. Besides the application itself, a big concern of mine is funding, but that's after acceptance, isn't it?

Cheers

Actually, do some research on funding options provided by Capes or CNPq. If you manage to get funding from these agencies, it is probably going to be easier to be admitted to graduate programs outside Brazil. It seems to be more expensive, in general, for institutions to take international students; so you have better chances if you bring external funding with you.

If you don't manage to do that, then yes, you'll only know about funding after acceptance. But it shouldn't be a great concern with the institutions you've mentioned. If they like you, they are going to fund you.

Edited by andos

As mentioned by andos, you should check CAPES and CNPq as there are many funding options for PhDs. In the U.S case, I highly recommend you check the LASPAU-SwB scheme (http://www.cienciasemfronteiras.gov.br/web/csf/laspau)  and in general look for all possible funding opportunities. This includes the "Fundação Estudar" and international organizations that may support your particular field of research. You may also be sufficiently good and lucky to get a scholarship from the university or a college in Oxbridge or elsewhere in Europe, but I wouldn't count on it.

Good luck with your preparation!