Adelphi MSW Program

rad1993

Hi everyone! 

Just wanted to know if anyone had some first hand experience in Adelphi's MSW program. I was accepted a couple of weeks ago and have heard some wonderful reviews, but when I went to visit over the summer, most of my peers were working professionals returning to the field. I am going straight from undergraduate to graduate school so I wasn't sure if this would be the right fit for me.

I've also heard the program is more focused on clinical work than research. Thoughts?

Best,

Becky

Good morning Becky,

I went to Undergrad @ SUNY New Paltz and I had an internship during my Senior year.  My field supervisor graduated from Adelphi (I believe the campus in Poughkeepsie) with an MSW.  He told me it was a good school.

Brian

I was accepted at Adephi too! The only thing that gets me about the program is that it's not a very well-known name (throughout the country that is), and it's pretty expensive. Fordham, for instance, has the same type of price tag, but least you get the name recognition for the price. On the other hand, I do know that it is a good program and pretty well-respected in the NY social work world. Definitely a good option for the new york area if you've been accepted .

Also, if you applied to the Manhattan campus, you're going to get a lot of older (as in not right out of undergrad) students who are living in NYC, trying to make it work. The garden city campus in Long Island will probably have more students coming right out of college. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this back up! So I am still waiting on my financial aid package from Adelphi but I am hoping it will be more than Columbia has offered me...as of now I am leaning towards Adelphi for the smaller classes and location (I'll be living at home on Long Island). Anyone else thinking of attending Adelphi? 

• 5 weeks later...

Also, if you applied to the Manhattan campus, you're going to get a lot of older (as in not right out of undergrad) students who are living in NYC, trying to make it work. The garden city campus in Long Island will probably have more students coming right out of college. 

Not a bad thing.

Hi TMB! I was accepted to Columbia, Hunter, and Adelphi and I am planning to attend Adelphi due to its small program and proximity to where I'll be living. Feel free to shoot me any questions you might have! :-)