Wisconsin Schools - Fall 2015

Hey all!

Who has heard back from WI schools so far?

Anyone have any tips/suggestions for choosing a WI program?

This thread is good for anything related to WI schools.

I applied to: UW-Milwaukee, UW-Stevens Point, and UW- Whitewater in WI with nothing heard back.

I do have official word that UW-Milwaukee is sending out their decisions on Friday March 13th

I applied to UW-Milwaukee and UW-Whitewater as well. I've heard nothing from Milwaukee, though I'm glad you found out a date! All I received from UW-Whitewater was an email saying they received my application, and a link to apply for graduate assistantship while waiting on a decision. 

Really excited its finally March, because I'm so tired of this process and I just want to hear back!

I'm very eager to hear back, but it will be hard to wait two more weeks.

Last year Whitewater did not notify until late March, I hope they notify earlier this year!

Are you from Milwaukee? What made you choose to apply to those WI schools?

Edited by NSSLHANerd

I have been accepted to UW-Eau Claire's distance program starting in June. My acceptance letter arrived around February 8th. I am curious why you did not apply to Eau Claire? I have friends who graduated with their Master's from there and spoke very highly of the program. So interesting why people chose to apply where they do!

Best wishes on being accepted to St. Cloud State! I completed my undergrad there and it is truly a quality program!

Smslp:

That's a great question! I only applied to five schools and I only applied to schools in locations I could see myself living. I did not choose Eau Claire because I felt like I wasn't a competitive candidate for their program. I also had already decided to apply to two other WI programs where I would have to move. It all made sense at the time, though the more I try to explain it the stranger it seems (ha). I have heard wonderful things about Eau Claire's program and I'm very happy for your acceptance, you will likely have a great experience.

I interviewed at SCSU on Friday and really loved the program, I'm hoping for a phone call from Dr. Crowell tomorrow!!

I'm very eager to hear back, but it will be hard to wait two more weeks.

Last year Whitewater did not notify until late March, I hope they notify earlier this year!

Are you from Milwaukee? What made you choose to apply to those WI schools?

I'm from Delaware, but I thought Milwaukee would be a cool city to go to grad school in. Plus. UWW and UWM both have aphasia labs/clinics, which is what I'm really interested in. I also figured since the Midwest isn't quite as populated as the East Coast, I might have a better shot of getting in! Gotta say I won't be excited about those winters though if I do get in  :P

Edited by cosmicmorgan

I applied to Milwaukee and Stevens Point! Haven't heard anything back from Steven's point. I know people have heard back from Madison. Glad you've found a date for Milwaukee sending out their admissions decisions. Thanks for that!

I'm one of those who have heard back from Madison - it's the only Wisconsin school I applied to. I'm going to their open house in two weeks.

@rlywrmn I remember asking you about Madison a few months ago! Do you have any pointers for when I visit? (Besides dressing warmly, haha)

Hi everyone!

I've applied to UW-Milwaukee, UW-Whitewater, UW-Stevens Point, and UW-Eau Claire. I know last year EC sent out their acceptance letters during the first week of March so I'm hoping to hear from them soon! The e-mail I got from Whitewater concerning the GA application said they would be sending out decisions on March 13th/16th. I don't know how much longer I can wait!!!

Good luck to everyone!!!

Ugh I had a dream last night that I got into UW-Milwaukee! Too bad I woke up :P Anyone else been constantly dreaming that they've been accepted somewhere?

Edited by cosmicmorgan

Cosmicmorgan: I have not had any grad schools dreams/ nightmares yet, somehow. I know they exist and am waiting for them.

If you have any questions regarding Milwaukee specifically feel free to message me, I know a bit.

Cosmicmorgan: I have not had any grad schools dreams/ nightmares yet, somehow. I know they exist and am waiting for them.

If you have any questions regarding Milwaukee specifically feel free to message me, I know a bit.

Oh man just had my first nightmare last night.  Is it wrong that I prefer that to dreaming that I got in?  At least that way, I'm relieved when I wake up, rather than disappointed.

I definitely prefer the nightmares...I'd rather wake up relieved! 

@NSSLHANerd  I definitely will if I get in...in the mean time, I don't want to fall in love more than I already am. Its in my top 3 of places I want to go!

I'm one of those who have heard back from Madison - it's the only Wisconsin school I applied to. I'm going to their open house in two weeks.

@rlywrmn I remember asking you about Madison a few months ago! Do you have any pointers for when I visit? (Besides dressing warmly, haha)

When are you visiting?!? That's very exciting. I love love love the city of Madison. But yes, definitely dress warm. If you are going to eat by campus go up State St. to Capitol Square (which is literally just the square of road surrounding the the Capitol Building). There are excellent restaurants there. Madison rocks, but the biggest selling points are things that go on during the summer. There's always something going on. Make sure you bring good walking shoes too! The campus is long and narrow, so there's a lot of walking to be done to cover all of campus!

Edited by rlywrmn

Does anyone have an idea of when UW-Eau Claire will be sending out letters? Last year it looks like they sent them out first week of March. I'm getting anxious.  :wacko:

Does anyone have an idea of when UW-Eau Claire will be sending out letters? Last year it looks like they sent them out first week of March. I'm getting anxious.  :wacko:

Just kidding, it looks like they've started sending them out as there's one acceptance on the results page. Looks like it's time to obsessively check my mailbox!

Good luck @polarbeara!!! I'm in the same situation with Rush right now...and I'm sure it'll be the same next weekend when we're supposed to hear from Milwaukee and Whitewater

I am very happy to have found this forum....Anxiously awaiting results from UW-Whitewater and UW-Milwaukee! Good luck to everyone.

Same here! Luckily we only have a few more days to wait. :)

In regard to UW- Milwaukee and UW-Whitewater.....does anyone know how many of their own undergrads they take and how many applicants they take from outside their program? Basically any insight to these two programs would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.

I go to UWM for undergrad and it seems to me like they accept both our own undergrads and those from other schools pretty evenly. If I remember correctly, only a few of our current grad students (first years at least) did their undergrad here. If anyone else knows anything differently feel free to correct me but from my observations, being an outside applicant won't hurt your chances at all.

Feel free to ask if you have any more UWM questions :)

I go to UWM for undergrad and it seems to me like they accept both our own undergrads and those from other schools pretty evenly. If I remember correctly, only a few of our current grad students (first years at least) did their undergrad here. If anyone else knows anything differently feel free to correct me but from my observations, being an outside applicant won't hurt your chances at all.

Feel free to ask if you have any more UWM questions :)

UWM's website mentions a minimum 3.0 for consideration for the program, and ASHA's site had the lower end of the GPA range for UWM listed somewhere around 2.98. Do you know if it's fairly accurate that some applicants are accepted that don't have 3.5+ GPA (especially if they have good GREs?)?

I originally decided to apply because of these stats but as I looked more into the school and into Milwaukee I've kinda fallen in love and it's my top choice. I'm so anxious for this weekend!

Edited by cosmicmorgan

UWM's website mentions a minimum 3.0 for consideration for the program, and ASHA's site had the lower end of the GPA range for UWM listed somewhere around 2.98. Do you know if it's fairly accurate that some applicants are accepted that don't have 3.5+ GPA (especially if they have good GREs?)?

I originally decided to apply because of these stats but as I looked more into the school and into Milwaukee I've kinda fallen in love and it's my top choice. I'm so anxious for this weekend!

In regards to EdFind, I would take the info on there with a grain of salt. I've heard through the grapevine that these numbers, including UWM's, aren't always very accurate. I definitely think it's accurate that some people could accepted with lower than a 3.5, especially if they have good GRE scores and the other aspects of your application are strong (letters of rec, personal statement, relevant experience, etc.) I think it's true for most grad schools that if you have deficits in certain areas but the rest of your application is stellar, you still have a chance. 

I don't know if you've seen this, but UWM's website has a chart for stats of past year's admitted students. I would use this information over EdFind. The average overall GPA last year was 3.56, so about half of applicants had lower than a 3.5 I'd say. Our NSSLHA chapter had a "Getting Into Grad School" event with the graduate program coordinator, and she said that they usually look for an average GRE percentile of 50% (average of percentiles for V, Q and AW). Your GRE scores are great so I think you're good there. I do know that the program got around 330 applications this year, which is a ton, and more than they've had in past years. 

GomVsOV.jpg

I hope this helps a little bit! Friday seems like a lifetime away.  :wacko:

Edited by polarbeara

I hadn't seen those stats, thank you! I'm nervous but hopefully I have a solid shot. Here's to hoping I find something to occupy my time until Friday....fingers crossed for all of us!