Visiting Programs

fiveby5

Hi all, 

I'm having a bit of a predicament here. I'm waitlisted at a bunch of schools, and I'm wondering if people feel that it is worth it to spend (a lot) of money going and visiting these programs, since unfortunately waitlisters don't get that nice funded visit. I live overseas and this would not be a cheap endeavor. 

I'm also in to a program that had on-campus interviews, but I skyped in. So there's an additional cost to visit there as well. And unfortunately these programs are spread across the US. 

However, I was reading a different forum and it looks like for a whole lot of people, visiting completely changed their minds. They ended up going to programs they never thought would be at the top of their lists. I've also visited one of the programs via on campus interview and did a total 180 on my feelings about it (negatively--- it was my top choice and visiting made it clear that it wasn't going to be a great fit for me). 

Anyone in a similar position? What do people generally think about making decisions w/o visiting? 

Edited by fiveby5

I suppose that it depends how much those particular programs mean to you. I see that you have been accepted into some good programs so this isn't a matter of whether or not you get to go to grad school at all. Campus visits are certainly important but are no guarantee either. I paid out of pocket to visit one campus (my top choice at the time) and I thought the visit went extremely well and left believing on some level that I would be accepted. I ended up being rejected by that program anyway and am just out the time, money, and effort I spent on that trip. Fortunately, I was accepted with full funding by a program that I did not visit until after they accepted me. I realize now that though I had a "good" visit and an individual POI expressed interest in my work, I am a MUCH better "fit" at the school that I will be attending. Importantly, though it was expensive, I did not go in debt and it was not a financial hardship to pay for that one visit. I would not recommend someone in your situation paying for a campus visit out of pocket if it is a financial hardship.

I wouldn't spend a ton of cash flying out to check out programs I've been waitlisted at.  I'd start getting in touch with students and see what they say about the program. Schedule phone or skype conversations with faculty you want to work with. That might give you a better idea of what its like there.  This season I visited one school and really liked it there.  They paid for the trip and it was before acceptance.  However, I had already been in touch with students and they told me it was awesome and they had no complaints.  The visit very much confirmed what I learned via email months before. 

It's true visiting a school may change some one's mind about whether its where they want to be or not. However, have you heard any horror stories about folks accepting an offer at a school they haven't visited and it turned out terribly?  Probably not. I'd say its likely quiet rare. 

It should be noted I don't think there is some perfect school out there for each of us and we just have to find it.  Ultimately, we go where we're accepted and there are probably good and bad things about those programs.  

Problem with that is that it might be April 15 before I get off the waitlist.....

That's fine because they aren't going to force you to make a decision as soon as they let you in off the waitlist. I guess if you have a lot of disposable income, visiting while on the waitlist wouldn't be a problem. But, visiting is not necessary. I say this as someone that did not visit the PhD program they attended.

visiting is not necessary. I say this as someone that did not visit the PhD program they attended.

Concur this statement.

There were a few schools on my list that I hustled HARD. Reached out to POIs months in advance, visited campus, sat in on classes, attended group discussions and open house days ... and didn't even get an interview. 

On the other hand there's a school on my list I never visited, ever. I never reached out to any POI. Never even had a phone call with anyone in admissions about paperwork or anything. I just uploaded all my documents and hit "submit." And I got in. It really is all about fit. 

Exactly the same thing for me. First two times I applied I visited almost everywhere, interviewed, really went out of my way. This time around I've gotten two acceptances so far, both to programs that I never visited once, and one I never even got a hold of the POI via email.

Just echoing the posters above - my only funded MA offer came from the only program at which I never contacted a POI.  In fact, for one of my rejections I contacted a POI in July, which in hindsight was way too early and probably hurt my chances.

Visiting the programs definitely was a major factor that helped me decide. However, I wouldn't invest money on a program that I'm waitlisted at and would wait until I hear back. Emailing students is a good idea for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Emailing students is best. I'm working abroad and I still feel comfortable getting information from graduate students. Traveling is a lot of money and I doubt that you would accept and arrive in town only to find that you don't like the vibe. You'll get a good sense of what you need to know from the current students. They've all done this application-gauntlet before.