Applying in Fall 2007?

Othello

Just thought I would add that I contacted 2-3 professors at each school I was intersted in applying to. I heard back from half that I had emailed and the results were very positive. I emailed professors with similar interest and they all were excited to hear from someone interested their field and were interested in learning more about my past research. Several professors suggested I set up a date to visit so we could speak on a more personal level. Most also opened the door for further conversation whether it was via email or telephone.

I've also made contact with the graduate secretaries on more than one occasion. Not only were they able to answer questions about application and admissions, they made it a point to note who I was and that I had called. I figure it doesn't hurt to get your name out there, even if it is just with the secretary. Also, the secretaries provided me with info I wouldn't have gotten off the website or if I spoke with someone in admissions. They actually eased my worries about my application, deadlines etc.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The graduate secretaries are a phenomenal resource. (And much better to call anonymously when you've got a question you don't feel comfortable asking over email, i.e., something you don't want your name connected to!)

What types of things should you say in emails to profs? I've sent out a few saying that I'm applying and this is what I'm interested in. What else should I include? Is it too direct to say something like "I want to work with you in grad school"?

My mails to profs are very short email listing the below:

- My current edu status (e.g., senior at school in major...)

- My research interest (<- customized so it matches with the profs' current works) => this leads to why I wrote the email

- My goal and what it has to do with that prof (e.g., I am applying for Ph.d. program at school X, and would like to know if that profs consider taking students for the time period Y).

- at the end, have a link to CV or webpage listing publications.

I don't know how helpful it can be when it comes to admission. However I figure it can't hurt, the worst case is they just ignore the mail.

Hi, I just joined this forum recently and want to know how others work for the application.

Brief self-introdutcion:

From Taiwan. Graduated with a MS degree (in CompSci) in 2004 and now working as a research assistent.

Applying CompSci PhD program for 2007 fall. With poor GPA, good recommendation, GRE (V: 580, Q: 800, AWA: 4.5, subject: 95%).

My research interests include programming language, compiler, and computer architecture.

I applied to many institutions, from CMU (simply to satisfy my mom, "hey! my boy tried CMU but unfortunately got rejected.") to U. Arizona (well, I'm not saying it's a safety choice; I just list them according to the US News ranking).

By the way, I have to say I know nothing about U. Arizona before finding it on the US News; the only thing I know about Arizona is that Randy Johnson pitched for the Diamondbacks and won the champion once before.

Well, anyone interested in a foreign friend or a potential classmate/colleague, just talk to me.

I created a thread on Comp Sci application for 2007 at http://thegradcafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=760 .

Very nice score on the subject test by the way.

Hi, I just joined this forum recently and want to know how others work for the application.

Brief self-introdutcion:

From Taiwan. Graduated with a MS degree (in CompSci) in 2004 and now working as a research assistent.

Applying CompSci PhD program for 2007 fall. With poor GPA, good recommendation, GRE (V: 580, Q: 800, AWA: 4.5, subject: 95%).

My research interests include programming language, compiler, and computer architecture.

I applied to many institutions, from CMU (simply to satisfy my mom, "hey! my boy tried CMU but unfortunately got rejected.") to U. Arizona (well, I'm not saying it's a safety choice; I just list them according to the US News ranking).

By the way, I have to say I know nothing about U. Arizona before finding it on the US News; the only thing I know about Arizona is that Randy Johnson pitched for the Diamondbacks and won the champion once before.

Well, anyone interested in a foreign friend or a potential classmate/colleague, just talk to me.

Hi everyone. I, too, am deep in the throes of applications and feeling like a total fraud.

stats:

Major: Art History - BA from little-known state college that has a really good art department

GPA: 3.52 / 3.8 major

GRE: 720V, 660Q, 6.0AW

CV: One conference presentation, museum internship, subsequent museum job, 3 art reviews in national publications, 1 catalog essay for an exhibition organized by a well-known curator, study abroad scholarship

Writing sample: Extremely risky 20-pager on the figure of the zombie/revenant in a 2004 French film (re-tooled undergrad thesis)

Recs: Enthusiastic as far as I know. 2 are from well-known people in the field, and 1 is from a controversial up-and-comer in the field

SOP: eighty zillion drafts written, 1 already sent out, 5 more to revise individually

School choices (all with Modern/Contemporary concentration):

UT Austin - MA Art History

Yale - PhD Art History

Tufts - MA Art History

CUNY Hunter - MA Art History

School of the Art Institute of Chicago - MA in Modern Art History, Theory, and Criticism

California College of the Arts - MA in Curatorial Practice

Concerns: I am worried about coming across as professionally acomplished but not academic enough. Will I be penalized for not having enough research / academic publications? Help.

I'm glad to see others who feel like they're scatterbrains as well...

Me -- applying to history PhD programs.

Undergrad -- a foreign language and literature at a top school. (Big three)

GPA -- 3.65

Grad -- area studies MA (AM?) at another top school. (Big three, again.)

GPA -- 3.67

GRE: 680 V, 800 Q, 5.5 AW.

The schools: Harvard, Yale, Columbia,WashU, Michigan, Stanford, Princeton.

From my master's admissions and funding offers, am acutely aware of how important it is to meet the potential advisors, however just haven't done it this time.

History deadlines were early for some schools -- am just dawdling on my last one, for Yale, as they have an extra essay for their applicants to do.

Looking at potential advisors, I'd be lucky to go to any of the places I'm applying to. As I'm kinda switching fields and am a good but not great student, thought I'd toss out as many applications as I could -- hope that one sticks.

Hi All,

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth (applied to 9 Ph.D programs) to people applying to programs ( somewhat late at this point). I am very surprised that a lot of people have not contacted the professors that they want to work with. All of the professors that I have talked with have said that they are shocked, every year, on the number of people who have applied to their department and have either not listed any potential faculty or have listed faculty but haven't contacted any of them. I wouldn't dream of applying to any schools without contacting faculty. If you don't get a response to an email give them a call [i always followed up an email with a phone call anyway because it is often the case that if they don't recognize your name in an email they will think it is spam and often will delete the email.\

Kat

• 5 months later...