Email to ask about status post-interview

kjc

After what I thought to be a successful interview, I emailed my POIs and several others that I met with a personalized "thank you" email. Many of them responded in kind, and both of my potential POIs (co-advised position) said they would keep me posted in the coming weeks (or something equally vague). 

It has now been a month post interview, three weeks post email, and I haven't heard anything. 

Should I email my POIs? Call the office? Do nothing? 

If I do email, does anyone have suggestions for what exactly to say? UGH. This is one of my top choices and I feel like I can't accept my other offer until I hear from this school. 

All opinions appreciated! 

I would give them a full month before following up again. You did everything you're supposed to do, and if they were vague in the initial emails, they probably don't have much more news now. I know it's frustrating. Hang in there. Remember, they will contact you if you're offered admission. You're on their radar. Give them some more time, then consider cornering the program director.

I bit the bullet and sent an email... got the old "Whoops forgot to tell you you were rejected, you were a fantastic applicant but blah blah blah" email. It stung a little but it feels good to know. Now I can actually make decisions about other offers! 

I bit the bullet and sent an email... got the old "Whoops forgot to tell you you were rejected, you were a fantastic applicant but blah blah blah" email. It stung a little but it feels good to know. Now I can actually make decisions about other offers! 

Sorry about that :(. But just like you said, now you know and can move on to decide about other offers. Good luck!

Decaf, 

I'm thinking of emailing and doing the same thing to a few places. 

What did you say in yours? Or do you mind sharing an abridged version? 

THanks!!

I was pretty straightforward. I basically just said- I wanted to touch bases about my application status as I have not heard anything either way. University of ____ is one of my top choices and I would like to know before moving on with other offers. 

Sent to my POIs. I also called the office beforehand but no one answered. 

Hope that helps. 

I was pretty straightforward. I basically just said- I wanted to touch bases about my application status as I have not heard anything either way. University of ____ is one of my top choices and I would like to know before moving on with other offers. 

Sent to my POIs. I also called the office beforehand but no one answered. 

Hope that helps.

That is helpful; thank you for sharing!

Sorry to hear about that.

In my case, 2 months post-interview and still waiting. Sent an email to the coordinator a month ago. No response.

Then on another thread on gradcafe, came to know that successful applicants (those who have already got offers) are to notify their decision by March 15. So maybe the best case scenario is that I'm on the waiting list and might get a call after the offer rejections by others. But I know what's coming.