UC Irvine ESS

omoplata

So I posted in here a while back about transitioning from biology to earth sciences, and by some stroke of happenstance, I was able to get an offer from UCI. There are a number of faculty I would be really interested in working under there, it is in a location I would be willing to live at for a few years, and the grad students seem happy. So, I am on the verge of turning down the other bio programs I've gotten into for the sake of evolving research interests, even if they are from traditionally CV-beautifying names. 

Anyway, before I pulled the trigger, I just wanted to get some indication about the reputation of the program with those who have been involved with the earth sciences for longer? I've given up on specific rankings due to endlessly questionable and debatable methodologies and weights at this point and all I care is that it is regarded as a department with solid track record for putting out good research and students, which it definitely seemed to do when I visited. 

Your help is appreciated, thanks! 

Honestly, ESS is a great department and UCI is a great school. Congrats for getting in! It's a very competitive program and has a fantastic reputation. A lot of their grad students go on to do great things.

I haven't seen any relevant papers, posters, or talks at national conferences I attend from UCI ESS. But that really just means there is little/no field overlap. Still, I'd take a look at where students in the department are getting published and going for postdocs before you pull the trigger.