How do you handle schools pressuring you into an early decision?

JML

One of the schools I'm seriously considering has stated that they can only keep my position until March 3rd. My question is, how is that possible when the universal deadline is April 15th? Can they actually revoke an offer at any arbitrary date?

I'd like to think that they aren't trying to take advantage of any confusion over the "actual" deadline to accept an offer. They're also playing the guilt card by reminding me of the others they'll be able to offer if I decline.

The thing is, I'm seriously considering this program, but this pressure is turning me off, and is something I haven't experienced from other programs. I also have no intention of waiting till the actual deadline to decide, but the beginning of March is absolutely ridiculous. 

Any thoughts you guys have would be appreciated.

Hi JML,

I am also in the same boat as you. UNR wanted me to respond by this Friday even though I have yet to hear back two other programs. I kindly asked for an extension for making a decision. I believe smaller programs will put my pressure because they want people to commit to their program so they can ensure the slots will be filled for the year. My understanding is that these smaller programs are more looking for declines rather than early acceptances so they can offer the position in the next wave. I kindly sent an email to the program directors telling them I am interested in their program, but cannot reach my decision on such short notice. I'm sure if you give them a sense that you are interested, they will gladly keep your spot!

Is the school a member of the Council of Graduate Schools? Did your offer come with a copy of 'Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees, and Assistants' that every member school of the CGS is obligated to attach to their offers? Apr 15 is the common deadline agreed upon by members of the CGS; but if the school you are talking about does not belong to the CGS, welp, technically I guess it could do whatever it wants :S

If they are a part of the CGS then ignore their pressure. One of my schools repeatedly told me that if anyone tries to tell you that you have to decide before April 15th that they are wrong and to ignore them because you have the right to that time to decide.