Contacting a MSW Program

firewisp11

Is it considered taboo to contact a program to gain an idea of when you'll hear about a decision? I don't want to bother the admissions department because I know they're busy or somehow hurt my chances by asking, but I'm feeling desperate! Specifically, I'm waiting to hear back from UT Austin (the deadline was Jan 15). I know a couple people heard back in January but I haven't heard anything since. Advice?

I don't think it's taboo to contact them and ask about a status update. I wouldn't place any pressure on them, but call or email them and ask if there are any updates/what the timeline is for their decision. No harm in that.

I agree. Especially if it's close to the anticipated decision time. If you were contacting two weeks after submitting your application, that would be odd. 

So long as you're nice and respectful I don't see why it would hurt your chances. Now, if you were sending emails every week, than I can see how that wouldn't help you.

Just start it off with something like, "I know it's a busy time for you all and apologize for any inconvenience, but.....etc. kind regards!

Edited by saidypoo

One more thing: I contacted a university a few days ago, and am happy that I did. I learned that the person who was serving as MSW program coordinator moved on to a different position, and her replacement was only two weeks into the job. And the school had been closed for several days due to weather. 

When I asked her about application status, she said "I'm only up to November."

I applied in January. So I expect it will be closer to April (or later) before I hear. But at least I know...

So strange firewisp! My deadline to give my decision to UT was more than a week ago, makes me wonder what their thought process is with all of this...

But anyway, I agree with everyone on here, it can't hurt to reach out! You might not get a specific response, but it's worth a try for sure.

I finally caved in and left a message to see where they are at in reviewing applications ( submission month, mine was in January). I have so much going on that even just knowing when they will be looking at January apps will ease some stress. We are in the process of moving to a new home and have so much going on, I feel ready to have my head pop! I hope they call me back soon. I was scared to ask. I tried asking graduate admissions about portal updates but she said each department does things different and I should just ask, it happens all the time. I bet my message sounded ridiculous. Oh well!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I went ahead and contacted them and got a very generic answer in response but at least I know nothing has caused a delay on their end.

I essentially got a generic response as well. Mid-March to late April, not saying where they were at as far as applications by month, just regular pool. What worried me though was she had to look up my info to email me since I only left my phone number in the message. Not sure if that is good or bad. I haven't bothered them about it before, so I'm hoping I didn't annoy them. I replied back with gratitude and thanked her for her quick reply. Ugh. Now I feel like I'll be one of the last to know.

Edited by thepinkdragon76