UC Berkeley Goldman MPP 2015

naso

Hey,

I did not see any threads for Goldman's MPP for the current application cycle, so I thought I'd start one.

If historical information regarding notifications is any indication, I am thinking we should be expecting decisions to be released later this week. Last year they sent notifications on the 6th. The year before they did so on the 1st.

For how many of you is Goldman your first choice? What are your reasons either way?

I have a feeling we'll find out in the next couple of days!

Goldman is my close second choice, right after HKS. I absolutely love the Bay Area, and would enjoy staying put. Berkeley's program is a lot more intimate than HKS with a smaller cohort, and if you're a California resident, a whole lot more affordable. 

I'd also LOVE to take classes and learn from Robert Reich. I also like that since Goldman is THE School of Public Policy at Berkeley, and only offers one other degree, a lot of the resources will be available and accessible to MPP students, like career services, etc. Whereas HKS has four different masters programs housed under the Kennedy School.

My reasons to choose Goldman would be: affordability, location, learning environment/experience, and its rising reputation. 

Hi!!

Berkeley is my top choice because it was the program to which my interests fitted the most while researching the schools I applied to (I guess I could be entirely wrong but it was my perspective at the moment).  My main interests are educational policy and impact evaluation methods; the faculty and the research centers seem alligned to these interests. Also, the curriculum seems to me pretty liberal and flexible.

The only thing that would "worry" me if I was fortunate enough to be admitted would be the power of its network outside the US (I'm an international student). 

The last time I checked the Goldman Admissions Blog, it didn't say anything about a possible date for admissions/rejections. I really hope for a result next monday.

Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone!!

I'm curious if I get in. I know I'm a long shot due to my atypical undergrad (agriculture) no name university (although I think I had an excellent education) and GRE scores that, while above average, weren't stellar. It's not my top choice, but it would still be a great opportunity. Plus all the other schools I applied to are in cold locations!

It looks like Goldman releases admissions on the first Friday of March according to the last few years. So, I will be checking my email compulsively Friday and TRY to be calm until then (easier said than done!). 

I consider both HKS and Goldman to be my dream schools. I'll be ecstatic if either accept me!  

As far as stats go, my GRE scores were in the top quarter for reading and writing and pretty average for math. I was an Economics major and PPIA Fellow that excelled in quant so I hope my track record offsets my GRE math. I have demonstrated leadership in a number of diverse capacities, have interned for a big think tank in DC, and have been working in the public sector domestically and internationally for 3 years. I'm looking to enter a multilateral organization or global consulting firm (public division) with interest in education, economic policy, and developing economies. My ideal work environment features being able to work on education/economic/developing economies policy projects and being able to get involved with site implementation (travel). If anyone has any ideas for this rough criteria, please chime in on possible organizations to look into! Greatly appreciated. 

Funding aside, the community feel, small cohort, fast response time and availability of faculty and alumni, weather, diversity, music venues/cultural festivals, flexibility of coursework, the 48 hours policy project, mandatory internship, and the APA real-world client project during the final MPP term are all huge draws for me to UC Berkeley since I feel like I'd enjoy both Goldman and my life outside of it. I'm also a fan of Berkeley athletics and the greater Bay Area sports teams. Plus, the proximity to family in SoCal and Valley are great having been away for awhile. The opportunity to GSI to greatly reduce/eliminate tuition costs and make some pocket change is also a huge draw since, from what I gather, GSI's (Teaching assistant positions) are plentiful relative to many other schools. However, the main drawback for me is Berkeley's international presence since I'm considering working for multilateral organizations or global consulting firms in their public divisions. However, I'm thinking Berkeley has a strong enough alumni base to leverage such opportunities, but that'll be a question for Goldman's employment office and personal networking!

On the other hand, HKS has an unmatched employment resources, network, excellent internship/work placement, greater density of international classmates that can make for a great global network, a constant stream of big names coming in for talks, and the opportunity to take classes at HBS (I'm also interested in social entrepreneurship). The main drawbacks for me would be the relative lack of diversity compared to Berkeley and the freezing cold snow (temperatures less than Mars?). I'm a California native and having experienced two Far Eastern winters, I now know that I do NOT thrive extended periods of time in cold weather. And personally, I am in no way a fan of the Boston Celtics and New England Patriots (fair weather about the Red Sox) and I KNOW Boston folk love to talk sports. But in a way, it would be fun arguing. Last, funding is a make or break issue in and of itself and doesn't offer the same generous fee remissions Berkeley does. 

With all that said, I'm ever so slightly tilted towards Berkeley. But alas, gotta see what admissions says! Good luck everyone! 

Edited by kooyah

I found a new entry in Goldman's Admissions Blog:

"We've received many inquiries about the status of MPP admissions decisions. Please sit tight! The Admissions Committee is finalizing decisions and we'll be sending letters soon."

Talk about suspense... 

Yeah, this wait is killing me.

I got into USC and UCLA but Goldman is my #1. They're a great fit (housing and employment), I'd like to move to the Bay area so the network would help, I like how small and focused it is, and it's affordable. Hard to beat.

I got my USC notification at 2am (I'm assuming auto-send) so I'm thinking of setting my alarm for the middle of the night, haha. 

I got into USC and UCLA but Goldman is my #1. They're a great fit (housing and employment), I'd like to move to the Bay area so the network would help, I like how small and focused it is, and it's affordable. Hard to beat.

I got my USC notification at 2am (I'm assuming auto-send) so I'm thinking of setting my alarm for the middle of the night, haha. 

Just checked the thread from last year and it looks like people found out in the evening? Maybe I'll just sleep in tomorrow...

Can I ask what you mean when you say "housing and employment"?

I've seen it referenced on these forums that Berkeley awards many (if not all?) of their MPP students with some pretty nice assistantships, but I cant find anything to that effect on their website. Does anyone know if that's true or not?

Hi All,

Still no word on the decisions. Seems the results will be out next week as its already past 5.30pm and now decision mails seem unlikely.

Been refreshing the mailbox every five minutes.

Good luck to everyone.

Hey! Just got the email. I'm in. No funding. Kind of wondering what to do about the money but really excited right now.

Good luck to you all!

Hey! Congrats! The rest of us seem to be eagerly waiting.

For funding, I suggest you google and read up about "GSI" (Teaching Assistantships) that comes with fee remission benefits. They're much more plentiful at UC Berkeley relative to other schools from what I've gathered on these forums. Also, read up on reducing tuition costs for year 2 by applying for California residency. 

Hopefully more of us will be contributing to this thread with good news! Congrats again!

Hey! Just got the email. I'm in. No funding. Kind of wondering what to do about the money but really excited right now.

Good luck to you all!

Man, I almost wish you wouldn't have updated us. Now I'm furiously refreshing my email. I've been expecting to hear back all day and was basically useless at work..

Congratulations @oscarsson!! I didn't expect decisions so late today!! Good to know its coming :)

@MJA87 I'm with you, I haven't received anything and Im tripping about it. I refreshed my email for like 100 times at work. Good luck!!

Hey! Congrats! The rest of us seem to be eagerly waiting.

For funding, I suggest you google and read up about "GSI" (Teaching Assistantships) that comes with fee remission benefits. They're much more plentiful at UC Berkeley relative to other schools from what I've gathered on these forums. Also, read up on reducing tuition costs for year 2 by applying for California residency. 

Hopefully more of us will be contributing to this thread with good news! Congrats again!

Thank you kooyah! Yes, I've been reading about the TAs here and in other threads. I wanted to ask you: is it possible to apply for residence even if you are not an American citizen? (probably not, right?) I'm just really unfamiliar with US legislation.

Something tells me more emails will be coming in tonight, so hang in there and best of lucks!

Man, I almost wish you wouldn't have updated us. Now I'm furiously refreshing my email. I've been expecting to hear back all day and was basically useless at work..

Sorry dude, it was the same for me all day today. I actually had to turn off my phone because it was driving me crazy. I thought they released all admissions decisions at once, so maybe emails will be coming in later today. Good luck!

Congrats oscarsson!!!!!

Still waiting for the news. Continuously staring and refreshing the mailbox.

Has anyone else got the good news?

All the best.

Thank you! Good luck!

Congratulations to those who have been accepted! I am a current first year MPP student at the Goldman school and I would be happy to answer your questions or refer you to relevant individuals. This forum was useful to me around this time last year and I am feeling nostalgic.

Best of luck to the rest that are waiting to hear back!

I just checked the status page again, and my application is still at submitted. Does anyone know if they release the acceptances first and wait for everyone else? This process has me a bit uneasy right now. 

I just checked the status page again, and my application is still at submitted. Does anyone know if they release the acceptances first and wait for everyone else? This process has me a bit uneasy right now. 

In looking at previous years, there doesn't seem to be any pattern in how they release decisions. If you look at previous years there are a mixture of acceptances and rejections on the first day. I'm not taking the fact that I haven't heard in the first hour or so as bad news, I'm just hoping I hear soon.

Hey, I just checked mine as well and it isn't updated as yet. I just got the email.  As MJA87 I don't think there's any pattern either. I really think you guys will be hearing soon, and hopefully good news.

Hang in there and good luck!

To those of you who have gotten in, congratulations, first of all.

Did you guys get an email with a letter attached? Or were you directed to gradadmit? I know the formal offer is made by the Graduate Division. Did you receive notification from Goldman or the Grad Division?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just not gonna sleep all weekend.

Hey, my email stated that the official notification will follow shortly from the graduate division. This mail came directly from GSPP with a letter attached. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Edited by oscarsson

Hey, my email stated that the official notification will follow shortly from the graduate division. This mail came directly from GSPP with a letter attached. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Was it a MailChimp message or a more personalized e-mail? I had an issue getting their first MailChimp message (back in January), so I am curious. I use MailChimp for work, and it's the worst...

The email said , "Congratulations! I am pleased to inform you that you have been recommended for admission into the Master in Public Policy program at the Goldman School of Public Policy. Official notification of admission to the University will follow shortly from the Graduate Division"

Was it a MailChimp message or a more personalized e-mail? I had an issue getting their first MailChimp message (back in January), so I am curious. I use MailChimp for work, and it's the worst...

I'm in and got my e-mail at 6:30pm PST tonight. I think when I checked it on my phone it said something about mailchimp but I can't find it now. I'm also surprised they didn't send it all out at once.

I also didn't get funding but I'm still really excited. This is definitely #1 choice for me. Good luck to everyone else!

Applied: Price MPP, Luskin MPP, Goldman MPP

Accepted: Price ($$$$), Luskin, Goldman