Should I take a "WF" grade or get a "D" in the class?

Hi everyone,

I haven't been able to find any reliable information on this.

I'm hoping to get into graduate school.  If I withdraw now, I will receive a grade of "WF", as I am currently failing, but I'm quite certain I can manage a "D" in the class if I stay it out.

I'm not sure which is preferable for a graduate school application.  If there's no difference, I'd prefer to just stay in the class, as I can no longer get a tuition refund for the credits.  Programs I had considered applying to are: Master's in Social Work, Master's of Education in Counseling, Master's of Psychology in Counseling, and Master's of Psychology in Industrial/Organizational Psychology.

I'd greatly appreciate any input!

Edited by EspeciallyInMichigan

Hi everyone,

I haven't been able to find any reliable information on this.

I'm hoping to get into graduate school.  If I withdraw now, I will receive a grade of "WF", as I am currently failing, but I'm quite certain I can manage a "D" in the class if I stay it out.

I'm not sure which is preferable for a graduate school application.  If there's no difference, I'd prefer to just stay in the class, as I can no longer get a tuition refund for the credits.  Programs I had considered applying to are: Master's in Social Work, Master's of Education in Counseling, Master's of Psychology in Counseling, and Master's of Psychology in Industrial/Organizational Psychology.

I'd greatly appreciate any input!

Is the class in your major? If not, stay in the class and get a D.

It's not in my major.  It's a required foreign language class, and I'm a Psychology major.

Do you need a foreign language class for a Psychology program in grad school?

If not, take the D. For at least, it shows you are willing to stick through a rough time and not give up or fear the D. I had a friend accepted into Yale with a D on his transcript in some class that had nothing to do with the field. Don't worry about it. As long as you have a lot of As and Bs - one D won't make a difference, in my opinion.

Do you need a foreign language class for a Psychology program in grad school?

If not, take the D. For at least, it shows you are willing to stick through a rough time and not give up or fear the D. I had a friend accepted into Yale with a D on his transcript in some class that had nothing to do with the field. Don't worry about it. As long as you have a lot of As and Bs - one D won't make a difference, in my opinion.

I don't need the class for graduate school, it's just a ridiculous requirement of the school that I go to (in my opinion).

Mind you, I already have one other "WF", and two other "WP"s.  I'm not sure how this factors into this decision, if at all.  I realize this obviously isn't ideal.  Also, my first year was pretty rough, but I've had mostly A's since then.

I don't need the class for graduate school, it's just a ridiculous requirement of the school that I go to (in my opinion).

Mind you, I already have one other "WF", and two other "WP"s.  I'm not sure how this factors into this decision, if at all.  I realize this obviously isn't ideal.  Also, my first year was pretty rough, but I've had mostly A's since then.

Don't worry about the WF (universities allow you one free one). WP - you might wanna explain those? (I had two Ws on my transcripts - I don't think it negatively impacted my application). Don't worry about your first or second year (one of my Ws was in my second year). Admissions committees care about your last two years.

It really depends on the university you attend. If you have a GPA over 3.5, don't worry about the D or the Ws. If you are pulling a 3.0, and you are dropping non-stop - it might raise some flags. I am not really sure of your situation. I would take the D in the language class - it's better than 4 Ws. Grad schools don't like to see giving up. 

Don't worry about the WF (universities allow you one free one). WP - you might wanna explain those? (I had two Ws on my transcripts - I don't think it negatively impacted my application). Don't worry about your first or second year (one of my Ws was in my second year). Admissions committees care about your last two years.

It really depends on the university you attend. If you have a GPA over 3.5, don't worry about the D or the Ws. If you are pulling a 3.0, and you are dropping non-stop - it might raise some flags. I am not really sure of your situation. I would take the D in the language class - it's better than 4 Ws. Grad schools don't like to see giving up. 

Thanks a lot, theory411!  I really appreciate the input.  

And just to make sure I understand, do you mean to say that I'm allotted one Withdrawal-while-failing (WF), and that I should be prepared to explain the couple Withdrawal-while-passing (WP) grades?  

Also, are we referencing my cumulative GPA, or my GPA at my current institution?  I did transfer after my first year.

Thanks again- I swear I won't bombard you with more questions.  :)

Thanks a lot, theory411!  I really appreciate the input.  

And just to clarify, do you mean to say that I'm allotted one Withdrawal-while-failing (WF), and that I should be prepared to explain the Withdrawal-while-passing (WP) grades?  Thanks again.

Yeah, well - you might be able to wiggle your way out of the WPs. WPs are suspicious because you were passing and you withdrew...could it be you had a family problem? overload yourself with too many classes? (It might be in your favor to explain the WPs). WFs explain themselves.

Yeah, well - you might be able to wiggle your way out of the WPs. WPs are suspicious because you were passing and you withdrew...could it be you had a family problem? overload yourself with too many classes? (It might be in your favor to explain the WPs). WFs explain themselves.

Okay, I see- thank you!  Also, are we referencing my cumulative GPA, or my GPA at my current institution?  I did transfer after my first year.

Thanks again- I swear I won't bombard you with more questions.

Okay, I see- thank you!  Also, are we referencing my cumulative GPA, or my GPA at my current institution?  I did transfer after my first year.

Thanks again- I swear I won't bombard you with more questions.

Cumulative GPA. Hmm, if you transferred your first year  - they may not consider your first year GPA at all. Admissions committees usually only care about the last 60 credit hours - that GPA.

If you have a nice cumulative GPA, it only strengthens your app.

Cumulative GPA. Hmm, if you transferred your first year  - they may not consider your first year GPA at all. Admissions committees usually only care about the last 60 credit hours - that GPA.

If you have a nice cumulative GPA, it only strengthens your app.

Thanks a bunch!