Saint Louis University

I just saw that three people posted results for SLU today - two acceptances and a wait list. Of course, it sent me into a frenzy of checking my email, the results page and the applyweb portal.

Is anyone else currently doing the same? Or has anyone on here heard from SLU? If you have information about how they notify people (in waves, or what), I'd appreciate it!

I'm in the same boat as you!! I didn't see a wait list I only saw two acceptances and that made me nervous! I checked the portal and it hasn't been updated. I'm not even sure where to look. I'm not sure if the send out notifications in waves it's not a super huge program so I would assume that they didn't. Keep hope alive!

Hey!  I was notified yesterday morning and I was pretty shocked that I was accepted because I didn't submit PPI reviews.  Have you received any additional correspondence from them yet? 

Hey, I didn't do the PPIs either! But you know, their website also says that they prefer to do interviews, and from the results page they haven't done any interviews in the last few years. So I don't know. 

I haven't heard anything else from them yet.

So I received a letter in the mail today from SLU about applying for grad assistantships (I live just north of St. Louis).  There's about 7 questions and needs to be turned in by the 15th of March.  I posted the questions below just in case if you two haven't received your letters yet.

1. Briefly describe your interest in SLP. 

2. What are your graduate school goals?

3. Why did you select SLU?

4. Describe any skills & talents you possess that may be useful for the department?

5. Do you have any undergrad research experience?

6. Briefly describe any undergrad clinical experiences you may have had.

7. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

So I received a letter in the mail today from SLU about applying for grad assistantships (I live just north of St. Louis).  There's about 7 questions and needs to be turned in by the 15th of March.  I posted the questions below just in case if you two haven't received your letters yet.

1. Briefly describe your interest in SLP. 

2. What are your graduate school goals?

3. Why did you select SLU?

4. Describe any skills & talents you possess that may be useful for the department?

5. Do you have any undergrad research experience?

6. Briefly describe any undergrad clinical experiences you may have had.

7. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Thank you so much for putting this up! I was away for the weekend and I just found the same letter in my mailbox! The new renovations sound amazing. 

Hey there!

I'm a current first year at SLU, and I also did my undergrad there as well. I randomly decided to hop on here after a year just to check out what schools people are looking into (and secretly to see if I could find any prospective SLU applicants!). Obviously I think SLU is awesome since I chose to go there for my bachelors and decided to stick around for another two years, so CONGRATS! SLU is amazing, and so are the renovations! Dr. Threats, the department chair, also teaches the adult neuro class I'm currently taking, and he usually spends the first few minutes updating all of us on everything from the new pipes and sound proof tiles to where the new vending machines and couches will go. Between that and the fact that I spend about 40 hours there a week, I could probably tell you anything you wanted to know. 

I received funding, so if any of you have any questions regarding that or anything about the program/grad school in general, I would be happy to help! I remember being in this position what seems like 10 seconds ago, so I know how helpful any sort of information and reassurance can be. 

Congrats again!

Hey there!

I'm a current first year at SLU, and I also did my undergrad there as well. I randomly decided to hop on here after a year just to check out what schools people are looking into (and secretly to see if I could find any prospective SLU applicants!). Obviously I think SLU is awesome since I chose to go there for my bachelors and decided to stick around for another two years, so CONGRATS! SLU is amazing, and so are the renovations! Dr. Threats, the department chair, also teaches the adult neuro class I'm currently taking, and he usually spends the first few minutes updating all of us on everything from the new pipes and sound proof tiles to where the new vending machines and couches will go. Between that and the fact that I spend about 40 hours there a week, I could probably tell you anything you wanted to know. 

I received funding, so if any of you have any questions regarding that or anything about the program/grad school in general, I would be happy to help! I remember being in this position what seems like 10 seconds ago, so I know how helpful any sort of information and reassurance can be. 

Congrats again!

Hi ChristinaG! I have a few questions! Seeing that you've been there for a few years do you have any advice on housing, like where to live either on campus or off and in which neighborhoods? And how is starting the program in the summer...I am a little nervous about that part! I am excited about the renovations...it looks like it will be really nice and modern. And do you know how many students in your cohort received funding?? Thank you so much again!

Thanks ChristinaG for sharing! I also have a question about financial aid. Someone posted earlier about financial aid and listed questions she received in the mail. I haven't received anything yet and was admitted last week. I don't want to miss the March 15th deadline of getting those questions in. What should i do? Thanks so much! 

Thanks ChristinaG for sharing! I also have a question about financial aid. Someone posted earlier about financial aid and listed questions she received in the mail. I haven't received anything yet and was admitted last week. I don't want to miss the March 15th deadline of getting those questions in. What should i do? Thanks so much! 

Maybe you should call and ask? I received the same questions in the mail as well so I would call and follow up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! So, I haven't committed to SLU yet, but I'm fairly certain I will be accepting. Would those who have accepted mind telling me their reasons for choosing SLU? This is a big decision for me, so I'm trying to accumulate as much information as possible. Thank you!

I'm in the same boat as you! I was offered an assistantahip and that really helps my decision out a lot! I love SLU because it is a great institution, the faculty is diverse, they focus on cultural issues, externship for a whole semester, the faculty seems to care about the students' well-being, it's a fun city, the school's motto is serving and helping others, and I also talked to a current graduate student and she had nothing but great things to say about the program!

I am definitely struggling with the same thing! Still waiting to hear from some schools, but right now this is my top choice! I visited on Monday and really loved the program. The facilities are so nice and new and everyone I talked with was so nice and approachable. The one thing I'm worried about is starting school so early in the summer...but I know that is a still reason to not choose SLU. Feel free to message me on here or Facebook, I'd love to chat with (potential) future classmates!!

• 3 weeks later...

So sorry I dropped off the face of the earth here and didn't get back sooner! I'm not sure how helpful this info will be since it's already May, but I'll include it anyways just in case :)

Housing:

There are a lot of great places to live! A few of the girls in my class chose to live right off of SLU's campus (literally on the other side of the street) in University Heights Lofts, Coronado, Lindell. Mainly junior and senior undergraduate students live in these complexes since it's a little cheaper than actually residing on campus, but it doesn't require a car. I lived in the University Heights Lofts my junior and senior year. Other "upperclassmen" housing that is right off of campus include Vandaventer, Michelangelo, and Donatello. The West Pine Lofts are also opening in August. That being said, these are generally more expensive than housing options which are a little further away (still walkable, but most people will drive the 5 minutes). A lot of people live in the Central West End (mainly in The West End Terrance complex), a neighborhood which is a 4-5 minute drive/20-35 minute walk or in Soulard, which is about a 5-10 minute drive south east of campus. This is where the big Mardi Gras parade is each year! Former students have also lived in Tower Grove Park. I actually live downtown right by Busch Stadium which is only a 5 minute drive from campus since I can hop right onto the interstate. 

Summer Start:

I was also a little concerned about the summer start, but probably less so than non-SLU undergrad students because I was already familiar with the whole area/program, etc. Honestly though, it's such a great time to get integrated into graduate school because it eases you into the level of coursework and clinic rather than throwing you in full force in the Fall. Looking back, I am so appreciative that I had the summer to get adjusted to the new expectations, even having come from SLU. 

Financial Aid:

14/27 students in my class received assistantships for the first year. Some of us got them from July 2014-May 2015, and others didn't start until August 2014. I believe everyone who had an assistantship for year 1 got it renewed for year 2, and a few additional students received assistantships as well. Dr. Threats confirmed that the incoming class is going to be about 46 students, but I'm not sure how the number of assistantships offered is determined (i.e. strict number of 14-16 vs. half of the class size but less money per student, etc.). The way it works right now is that GA's receive some tuition remission plus a monthly stipend, and the amount varies per person and per semester. For example, for my first year I got 3 credits for summer, 5 credits for fall, and 4 credits for spring comped, and this upcoming year I'm only getting 3 credits comped for the fall. 

Sorry again for taking so long to get back, but I hope this information is still somewhat helpful! Congrats on your acceptances, and hopefully I will get to meet you in McGannon in a few weeks!

• 10 months later...