Academic Conferences - ASC, ACJS

Hey all,

I'm here presenting at ACJS in sunny Orlando and it made me wana see if a conference thread would be well received or not. Specifically, is anyone or has anyone else presented here already this year?

Is anyone planning on presenting at ASC in Washington D.C. in November?

Oh, you were in the Mental Health Panel, right?

Did that go pretty smoothly? 

I present first on Saturday in the Neighborhood Disorder, Communities and Crime panel, gotta be the worst day because everyone I know is gone by then. Yeah, I'm working on abstracts today, looking to submit the abstract for a themed panel for Crime and Place at ASC. 

I'm just surprised how informal ACJS has been this year, sorta wonder if half the people are just here for the weather.

The panel went really well! I was excited to have my panel so early when people were still motivated and not hungover. I am actually heading back before Saturday, but good luck!

I felt the same though about the weather thing. Although, from everything I have heard the turnout and the general attitude observed at this ACJS seems to be typical according to the people I know that have been multiple times.

Do you have to be invited to attend a conference? Why and when are you asked to present? I am solo far behind on knowing this stuff. I'm getting very discouraged. I've been accepted to two Ph.D. programs and I feel like an infant trying to walk.

No invitation necessary. Generally, people just submit an abstract for their paper individually, or they submit their abstracts with others if they already have a panel formed. 

The deadline for abstract submissions for ASC is next Friday. I presented at ASC this past year in SF and have been to/presented at a couple other regional criminology conferences if you have any questions about it. 

Here is the link for more info, if you're interested: http://asc41.com/Annual_Meeting/2015/2015meeting.html

Edited by CeeB

How many people were at your presentations?

At ASC, around 25. Oddly enough, I was on a thematic panel with 4 scholars from outside the US, and every one of them ended up canceling. So I was the only presenter. A little nerve-wracking, but it went well. I was a little surprised about the size of the audience. It was the first day and early in the morning, so a lot of people were stuck in the line to register and some probably weren't even awake yet.. I didn't expect anyone to show up  :blink:

At WSC and the other regional/smaller conferences (my first time presenting) there was around 10 or so people. I would definitely recommend a regional conference if you haven't presented before. It is a lot less formal and the audience is much friendlier.. 

Guest criminologist

That is a lot of people for ASC, were they mostly students, professors, etc.? I haven't presented before but was planning on going to either the next ASC or ACJS meeting. I hadn't considered going to a regional one but would prefer a small audience the first time

Yeah, it was MUCH bigger than I had anticipated. IIRC, there was maybe 5 or 6 professors (guessing based on age), one guy from the FBI, and the rest were students. To be honest, I think most people were there to hear from the others on the panel that didn't show up.. Most of the panels I sat in on were less than 10 people. 

I would definitely look into a regional conference for your first time just to get some practice and familiarity.. I presented at WSC (in Hawaii !) last year for my first time and it was a really good experience. It's a very laid back, supportive atmosphere compared to some others. ASC can be a little more intense and the discussions/Q&A's with the audience are definitely more critical. 

No invitation necessary. Generally, people just submit an abstract for their paper individually, or they submit their abstracts with others if they already have a panel formed. 

The deadline for abstract submissions for ASC is next Friday. I presented at ASC this past year in SF and have been to/presented at a couple other regional criminology conferences if you have any questions about it. 

Here is the link for more info, if you're interested: http://asc41.com/Annual_Meeting/2015/2015meeting.html

That's why I feel so behind. I have no papers. I have no publications or research experience. I am entering  a totally foreign world, and while this doesn't scare or intimidate me, it certainly makes me feel as though I am starting out in a hugely disadvantaged position. 

That's why I feel so behind. I have no papers. I have no publications or research experience. I am entering  a totally foreign world, and while this doesn't scare or intimidate me, it certainly makes me feel as though I am starting out in a hugely disadvantaged position. 

It doesn't have to be anything substantial. I know other students who presented research papers that they wrote for one of their classes. In my experience, it is not uncommon for people to submit abstracts before a paper is even finished (or started, in some cases). Last year, my paper was finished before I submitted my abstract, but my submission for the upcoming ASC is for a paper that is not even close to being complete. 

I wouldn't stress about lack of experience. We all have to start somewhere  :)

I suppose. I'm 11 years detached from my undergrad work and 5 years from Master's. I completed my Master's in one year by taking 7 classes per semester. I did this while working full time. I basically dedicated my life to law enforcement and just decided to majorly switch directions. I know that I'll acclimate, it's just a matter of starting over again at 37 years old... ugh.

How many people were at your presentations?

There were only 6 or 7 people at my presentation, no 25, but mine was on the last day at 9:30 in the morning. It seemed to greatly vary depending on the time of day, reputation of the speaker(s) and whether it was a featured panel or not. 

Guest criminologist

Do you know how do they choose who gets which times? is it random or is it typically grad students get the less popular times?

Do you know how do they choose who gets which times? is it random or is it typically grad students get the less popular times?

Its definitely not up to the panelists. In my [limited] experience they group like panels/activities to the same day. At ACJS last week the grad students were sometimes on panels with professors/practitioners. The last day, yesterday, many of the panelists were undergrad's / grad students an not PhD's. 

That's a reasonable feeling given your stated background; the PhD is a research degree first and foremost and your proven ability to succeed in some research capacity is normally used as an indicator about your ability to succeed in research in the future. I suggest you talk with members of your cohort and your adviser and find out if you can do some work as a co-author or co-presenter to get more exposure to that, that way you have a better idea of how to get into all of this on your own.

My 2 cents: Presentations are a cake walk compared to the peer-review / publication process which can be very drawn out and very critical: you may be rejected from 5 journals before getting accepted to one. Some assignment from one of your classes that can include research, turn that into a presentation with explicitly stated research questions and the other necessary paper components, then have someone review the title / abstract, then submit to present it at one of the regional conferences like ACJS or ASC as a poster or as a part of a panel. 

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Sword_Saint,

Don't feel bad about the number of folks.  I was in a different seminar at the same time and there were 4 of us in attendance (including the wife of one presenter).  The moderator didn't even show up ;>  It was Orlando and it was the last day of the meeting...I'm surprised anybody showed up for anything!

Sword_Saint,

Don't feel bad about the number of folks.  I was in a different seminar at the same time and there were 4 of us in attendance (including the wife of one presenter).  The moderator didn't even show up ;>  It was Orlando and it was the last day of the meeting...I'm surprised anybody showed up for anything!

Yeah, of the 4 people who were supposed to present it was just me an the panel chair. I can't wait to see how ASC is in Washington D.C. in November.