I have an MA in Philosophy. What the hell should I do with it?

JTMurray

I just finished a graduate degree from Queen's University a few months back and I am looking for work. What's difficult is knowing what transferable skills to accentuate on my resume, and more importantly, what jobs to look for. I'm interested in Canadian politics and public policy with my academic focus having been in moral and political philosophy. Anyone have any thoughts other than telling me to do a Ph.D or to be a professor? Those things aren't going to happen. 

Not sure but can you work for a local government office?   I know in LA the local governments really like people with poly sci degrees.  Oftentimes there are associated organizations that deal in elections, politics, etc, that you could probably get involved with, even at a volunteer level, to build up your resume. 

I know someone who did this and it was a fantastic experience. https://pip-psp.org/en/apply/how-to-apply Getting an internship could give you the experience and practical skills that you need. Otherwise, consider a graduate level diploma or a master's program in your area of interest (preferably one that includes an internship). Some of them are as short as one year.

• 4 weeks later...

I find that Philosophy majors are fantastic writers.  If you have interest in a particular area and enjoy writing, you can certainly have a fulfiling career using your writing, reasoning and abstract thinking skills.  My friend from high school was a Philosophy major and writes for various sports websites.  Good luck!