UCSD IRPS - 2015 Thread

Sorry, meant to say I was mostly interested in East Asia. Glad to hear UCSD is placing a relatively high percentage of their graduates in your region of interest. It's encouraging for me as well since I'm much more interested in working on site in Asia than in D.C.

I decided to go ahead and check this real quick.  Again, not sure it’s all THAT reliable but the disparities seem pretty large.  Also, I only checked GWU Elliott and American SIS:

China: IRPS - 10.26%, SIS - .50%, Elliott - .70%

Japan: IRPS - 9.26%, SIS - .72%, Elliott - .45%

Korea: IRPS - 4.23%, SIS - .18%, Elliott - .37%

Again, maybe not the most reliable method but you can’t ignore the rather drastic differences.  It appears that if you want to work in Asia, IRPS is a very good choice.  

I decided to go ahead and check this real quick.  Again, not sure it’s all THAT reliable but the disparities seem pretty large.  Also, I only checked GWU Elliott and American SIS:

Again, maybe not the most reliable method but you can’t ignore the rather drastic differences.  It appears that if you want to work in Asia, IRPS is a very good choice.  

Hmm...

I guess these numbers make a lot of sense when you also factor in the nationalities and backgrounds of the students coming to these programs.

IRPS accepts quite a lot of international students from China/Japan/Korea who can (and often do) go back to their countries of origin after the program.

Glad to see there are some other people trying to work abroad in the future! Where have you all lived/worked so far?

I did a 2.5~ year stint in Korea teaching English, and did a little bit of traveling in Japan, Taiwan, and the Philippines. I also studied for a semester in Shanghai.

Hmm...

I guess these numbers make a lot of sense when you also factor in the nationalities and backgrounds of the students coming to these programs.

IRPS accepts quite a lot of international students from China/Japan/Korea who can (and often do) go back to their countries of origin after the program.

This is very true.  Some of the folks you see on the site are foreign nationals.  Really, it’s best to visit the site yourself and just look at the folks that are living out there and what jobs they are working.

Edited by Kosmosis707

Glad to see there are some other people trying to work abroad in the future! Where have you all lived/worked so far?

I did a 2.5~ year stint in Korea teaching English, and did a little bit of traveling in Japan, Taiwan, and the Philippines. I also studied for a semester in Shanghai.

6 months in Tokyo as a student, about 2 years on and off doing prep school work in Seoul, 1 month long class in Hong Kong. I'm probably doing a Japan regional spec and am tentatively hoping to work abroad for a few years before transitioning to a more traditional US based career.

Thanks for running those numbers. It does seem like there is quite a difference between the schools, though I'm sure a lot of it can be explained by the foreign:domestic student ratio. You do get a feel for how relevant that is when looking at the individual profiles.

I'm also glad to see others interested in working overseas. I lived in Korea for about ten years on and off, doing various types of work and study, and in Japan for around 5 months. It'd be great to be able to spend even more time in one of those two countries, or in China, after graduating; I'm not sure how well I would hold up in a D.C. think tank.

Edited by outofspace

Thanks for running those numbers. It does seem like there is quite a difference between the schools, though I'm sure a lot of it can be explained by the foreign:domestic student ratio. You do get a feel for how relevant that is when looking at the individual profiles.

I'm also glad to see others interested in working overseas. I lived in Korea for about ten years on and off, doing various types of work and study, and in Japan for around 5 months. It'd be great to be able to spend even more time in one of those two countries, or in China, after graduating; I'm not sure how well I would hold up in a D.C. think tank.

I'm gonna run up quite a bit of debt regardless of which program I choose, and I know the big money post-degree is going to be in the D.C. think tanks/consulting, but I feel the same way as you...just don't think I'd be cut out for it.

But a chance to head back to China with an interesting job would make it all worth it.

Well, maybe :)

I'm curious to know if anyone knows the specific date the summer prep programs start? I'm contracted with an ESL gig in Korea until late August, and I've got three years of severance and a month of pay banking on being able to complete my contract reasonably well. UCSD will get a lot more relatively expensive if I'd need to relinquish that pay.

Got the official admit letter last week, exciting! But I'm wondering, how does one verify if they need to complete summer prep? I didn't see anything about that in my online application, acceptance emails from IR/PS nor the wider Graduate Division acceptance emails, etc. but maybe I'm

Not looking in the right place?

This was the first I had heard about the summer prep program as well. It seems like the earliest of the classes, besides the ESL classes, starts August 17: http://irps.ucsd.edu/programs/admitted-students/summer-prep-program.htm. I'm not sure what's required or not but did find this UCSD PDF saying that your letter of admission will tell you whether you are required or recommended to take a prep course: http://irps.ucsd.edu/assets/038/11406.pdf. It looks like it might be outdated though.

Edited by outofspace

I guess then that our acceptance emails would have indicated if we need to take any summer prep courses. I'm happy not to do it as what I can only assume would be a summer tuition fee. My econ skills are lacking, but did complete an introductory course in undergrad and applied to IR grad programs because they emphasize and cultivate such a skill set (which I need!) 

I see a few others here are familiar with the SD area/are from around that area. Could anyone shed some light on housing? La Jolla seems expensive, and grad housing has long waitlists. I wouldn't mind being a bit socially removed from the campus anyway. Are there any good neighborhoods distinct from the UCSD area while also being within a short drive/biking distance?

I would be shocked, but pleasantly so, if UCSD thought I didn't need to take a summer math prep course. I haven't taken a math class since my junior year of high school, almost a decade ago! If GRE's are worth anything, I did get a 162 on my quant section. Fingers crossed they think that means I'm competent in the numbers.

San Diego's expensive almost everywhere, and the cheap places are typically in more beaten down neighborhoods. I don't think you can reasonably expect to bike to school unless you're in La Jolla, which is a pretty expensive area. The good news is there should be a large college population in the area so there should be a lot of availability, short term stays, sublets, etc.

The school is located right off the 5 freeway, which gets pretty bad during rush hour. The neighborhoods I'm familiar with that are driving distance are:

East downtown area (North Park, University Heights, Normal Heights, nearby neighborhoods): Residential housing in walking distance of hipster nightlife. Mustaches galore, along with some of the best and most interesting bars SD has to offer. Bars are more lounge and talk, artisanal food (whatever that means), craft beer galore.

Downtown (Little Italy, Gaslamp): More typical downtown scene, lots of businessmen and international folk wandering on weekends, home to SD's limited club scene. More mature, night on the town type place.

Beach Neighborhoods (Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, Mission Beach): Stereotypical beach living. Each beach city has its own personality. PB is known for its sports bar, young 20s crowd, lots of college kids, with a strong Jersey Shore streak; the douchiest of the three beach cities. OB is the laid back, dog beach, burn out beach where everyone is happy and it feels like you're taking a step back in time to the 60s. Decent nightlife, but everything is low key and hole in the wall. I think OB is the cheapest of the three. MB is also very collegey, but a bit more low key than PB. MB is a nice middle ground area.

Asia Town (Convoy): A decent section of town that is comprised of Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Korean restaurants and bars. Includes karaoke.

There's a few other neighborhoods, specifically east of UCSD, but as far as I know they lack personality. You'd more or less be living in a typical suburb and would have to drive out to make it to decent nightlife.

Anyone still waiting on funding info? I havent heard anything yet....

Hmmm.  You may want to reach out to them.  I received a letter on March 20 informing me of no funding. 

• 2 weeks later...

I attended the admitted students day (Friday), and I was impressed with the location of the school. Cannot deny it, but the campus is absolutely gorgeous and it felt so serene. Definitely a great place to spend the next two years studying. As far as for a need for a car, I feel that given the constant shuttles and public transportation options available, and if you decide to live on campus, you should have no urgent need for a car. The peers seemed very cordial and friendly. Also, I found out that the grading is curved at a B+ (3.3).

The presentation by the career service was very reassuring and demonstrated to me that they are doing everything they can to make up for the distance to the East Coast. But, I also feel that there are definite advantages. For one thing, the Pacific region emphasis is a logical aspect of the program. So, they are employers (more so in the private sector) that would look to hire graduates from IR/PS, especially with the heavy quant emphasis. And they mean business with the quant. If you decide to attend be fully prepared to as much quant as you can imagine. Overall, I had a positive experience and am pleased. The 3 hour drive did not feel as long as I imagined it. 

I just flew back to Northern California after attending admit day today.  Here’s my two cents on the program and the Admit Day:

The program seemed just as advertised.  I sat in on a couple of classes and I felt they were stimulating and very much “applied”.  Also, in both classes there was discussion of some practical assignments: memorandum drafting and one course had presentations that were given positive and negative feedback by fellow students.  Overall, the program is definitely focused on skills…which may not be as “fun” as writing about your favorite country tr topic, but way more necessary.

Everyone at the Admit Day was very helpful, but I will say that if you missed Admit Day, it’s no biggie.  Much of the information that was presented I had already discovered on the website, although there were a couple of new pieces of information.  

The biggest highlight was the short conversations with other admits and the first year students.  It was VERY interesting to hear everyone’s backgrounds.  It’s a diverse class with diverse interests.  One student who sat for lunch with me and a couple of other admits was a cool fella from Indonesia.  He gave us some good, honest information on the first year of the program.  

Overall, it was great to see the campus and talk to those involved.  But learning new things about the program that you can;t find on the website..somewhat minimal. Feel free to post any questions!  They may have covered something that you are curious about.

I just flew back to Northern California after attending admit day today.  Here’s my two cents on the program and the Admit Day:

The program seemed just as advertised.  I sat in on a couple of classes and I felt they were stimulating and very much “applied”.  Also, in both classes there was discussion of some practical assignments: memorandum drafting and one course had presentations that were given positive and negative feedback by fellow students.  Overall, the program is definitely focused on skills…which may not be as “fun” as writing about your favorite country tr topic, but way more necessary.

Everyone at the Admit Day was very helpful, but I will say that if you missed Admit Day, it’s no biggie.  Much of the information that was presented I had already discovered on the website, although there were a couple of new pieces of information.  

The biggest highlight was the short conversations with other admits and the first year students.  It was VERY interesting to hear everyone’s backgrounds.  It’s a diverse class with diverse interests.  One student who sat for lunch with me and a couple of other admits was a cool fella from Indonesia.  He gave us some good, honest information on the first year of the program.  

Overall, it was great to see the campus and talk to those involved.  But learning new things about the program that you can;t find on the website..somewhat minimal. Feel free to post any questions!  They may have covered something that you are curious about.

So, after your visit, are you closer to making a decision on which school you are going to attend? For me, it is between Chicago and UCSD. 

Thanks, Facade19 and Kosmosis707, for giving those of who couldn't make it an idea of what all went on. Did you have a chance to check out the student housing at all? If so, any thoughts on them? I was also wondering if one of you would be willing to elaborate a bit on what the career services people had to say? I'm really curious how they make up for the distance and also what kind of employment figures the program has (the figures on their website aren't as detailed as those other schools release--both in terms of where graduates end up working and how many end up finding full-time work upon graduating--and that worries me). Thanks again!

So, after your visit, are you closer to making a decision on which school you are going to attend? For me, it is between Chicago and UCSD. 

My situation may be a bit different.  I received no additional funding from any programs, am in-state in California, and am committed to a focus in Southeast Asia.  It was these factors that made UCSD may top choice. Your situation may be quite different than mine. After the visit, I do feel confident that the program is top notch, rigorous, and gives you the hard skills needed for a policy career.

Thanks, Facade19 and Kosmosis707, for giving those of who couldn't make it an idea of what all went on. Did you have a chance to check out the student housing at all? If so, any thoughts on them? I was also wondering if one of you would be willing to elaborate a bit on what the career services people had to say? I'm really curious how they make up for the distance and also what kind of employment figures the program has (the figures on their website aren't as detailed as those other schools release--both in terms of where graduates end up working and how many end up finding full-time work upon graduating--and that worries me). Thanks again!

I didn't get a chance to go into the student housing.  However, I talked to an undergrad student who is entering into IRPS and she currently resides in Rita Atkinson.  She seemed very happy with housing and confirms that it is MUCH cheaper than elsewhere in La Jolla.  She said it's about a 15-20 minute walk to the Robinson Building Complex (IR/PS).  I also noticed loop buses all over the place, so plenty of bus transportation when you are on campus.  Although some friends offered for me to stay with them in North Park, the campus housing seems like the way to go for grad students due to cost, distance, and the free gym.

Unfortunately, I had to split during the Career Services sit-down to catch my flight on time.  The representative pretty much echoed what I had been hearing..that their alumni connections have helped them overcome geography. However, there wasn't much "proof" as far as placement numbers.  It was just a verbal Q&A really.  I still think the LinkedIn Alumni search may be a good way to get a "snapshot". Wouldn't be nice if we had some hard stats for all these programs!?