UCSD IRPS - 2015 Thread

My situation may be a bit different.  I received no additional funding from any programs, am in-state in California, and am committed to a focus in Southeast Asia.  It was these factors that made UCSD may top choice. Your situation may be quite different than mine. After the visit, I do feel confident that the program is top notch, rigorous, and gives you the hard skills needed for a policy career.

The most important aspect for me is about securing a job after these two years. A job that pays well. The in-state tuition does help and is a contributing factor to consider. Also, I feel that the career service is an important, even integral aspect of IRPS. They need to do their best to place their students and alumni, and I feel that they are really doing their best to off-set the distance. Also, when I spoke with one of my undergad professors who does quantitative research, her feedback was that UCSD's social science programs are hot, really hot, in academia, due in large part to the quant emphasis.    

I also feel that I need to take into account what sort of things I can do with the MIA degree, in conjunction with my JD and license to practice law in CA. I am honestly a bit lost. I need to figure things out. :) 

I didn't get a chance to go into the student housing.  However, I talked to an undergrad student who is entering into IRPS and she currently resides in Rita Atkinson.  She seemed very happy with housing and confirms that it is MUCH cheaper than elsewhere in La Jolla.  She said it's about a 15-20 minute walk to the Robinson Building Complex (IR/PS).  I also noticed loop buses all over the place, so plenty of bus transportation when you are on campus.  Although some friends offered for me to stay with them in North Park, the campus housing seems like the way to go for grad students due to cost, distance, and the free gym.

Unfortunately, I had to split during the Career Services sit-down to catch my flight on time.  The representative pretty much echoed what I had been hearing..that their alumni connections have helped them overcome geography. However, there wasn't much "proof" as far as placement numbers.  It was just a verbal Q&A really.  I still think the LinkedIn Alumni search may be a good way to get a "snapshot". Wouldn't be nice if we had some hard stats for all these programs!?

The housing doesn't sound bad at all. I'll have to look into it more. I think the LinkedIn tactic is great for getting a general idea of what types of work people end up doing. It just makes me a bit nervous that UCSD doesn't provide the type of detailed employment information, such as the unemployment rates for each class and a comprehensive list of its employers, the other schools do. I imagine the IR/PS places pretty well actually, at least based on what I've heard; it's just one of those things you'd like to know for sure before making a decision.

The most important aspect for me is about securing a job after these two years. A job that pays well. The in-state tuition does help and is a contributing factor to consider. Also, I feel that the career service is an important, even integral aspect of IRPS. They need to do their best to place their students and alumni, and I feel that they are really doing their best to off-set the distance. Also, when I spoke with one of my undergad professors who does quantitative research, her feedback was that UCSD's social science programs are hot, really hot, in academia, due in large part to the quant emphasis.    

I also feel that I need to take into account what sort of things I can do with the MIA degree, in conjunction with my JD and license to practice law in CA. I am honestly a bit lost. I need to figure things out. :)

I've been really encouraged by the academic reputation of UCSD and their strength in quant and professional skills, which are the skills I'm really wanting to develop as a graduate student; I've written enough "fun" essays for one lifetime, to reference what Kosmosis707 was saying earlier. Also, I know you said you're lost, but as someone currently considering joint degree programs (JD/MIA), I'd actually be really interested in hearing anything you find out about what doors are open to someone with both degrees.

Thanks again to both of you.

The housing doesn't sound bad at all. I'll have to look into it more. I think the LinkedIn tactic is great for getting a general idea of what types of work people end up doing. It just makes me a bit nervous that UCSD doesn't provide the type of detailed employment information, such as the unemployment rates for each class and a comprehensive list of its employers, the other schools do. I imagine the IR/PS places pretty well actually, at least based on what I've heard; it's just one of those things you'd like to know for sure before making a decision.

I've been really encouraged by the academic reputation of UCSD and their strength in quant and professional skills, which are the skills I'm really wanting to develop as a graduate student; I've written enough "fun" essays for one lifetime, to reference what Kosmosis707 was saying earlier. Also, I know you said you're lost, but as someone currently considering joint degree programs (JD/MIA), I'd actually be really interested in hearing anything you find out about what doors are open to someone with both degrees.

Thanks again to both of you.

outofspace, I wish I could tell you what sort of doors a JD opens up for someone. But I have to yet to experience, or figure that aspect of the degree out for myself. With the current job market, my lack of quantitative skills, I cannot say that it did many things for me. Though, to be fair, I did not much looking. I think there is a certain cliche attached that a law degree opens up many doors. I think it depends from what program you graduated and how much experience you have. But these are just my thoughts. 

yep, as facade says, the most important factor for me is also securing a job after the program ends.

my best resource in helping me make my decision is definitely my friend who graduated from IRPS a few years ago and is now working a job she loves. it seems career services really does everything they can to help (they have it broken down by sector...so each advisor specializes in a particular sector, like NGOs, private/public).

the second big factor to me is the emphasis on the quantitative skills. my math/econ isn't particularly strong, but i'm excited to be gaining some hard skills that are useful!

the only drawback (personally) is their quarterly system. what would normally take a full semester to learn is crammed into 8-10 weeks, which detracts from deep understanding imo. especially with languages in particular (and difficult ones, like Mandarin, for example).

Edited by robinsoncrusoe

Thanks, Facade19 and Kosmosis707, for giving those of who couldn't make it an idea of what all went on. Did you have a chance to check out the student housing at all? If so, any thoughts on them? I was also wondering if one of you would be willing to elaborate a bit on what the career services people had to say? I'm really curious how they make up for the distance and also what kind of employment figures the program has (the figures on their website aren't as detailed as those other schools release--both in terms of where graduates end up working and how many end up finding full-time work upon graduating--and that worries me). Thanks again!

It's too bad IR/PS doesn't have something comparable to what I just received from Elliott regarding employment statistics.  It's a 13 page PDF with specific outcomes and stats.  Has anyone enocuntered anything besides the one webpage at: http://irps.ucsd.edu/current-students/career-services/employers/employment-statistics.htm?

outofspace, I wish I could tell you what sort of doors a JD opens up for someone. But I have to yet to experience, or figure that aspect of the degree out for myself. With the current job market, my lack of quantitative skills, I cannot say that it did many things for me. Though, to be fair, I did not much looking. I think there is a certain cliche attached that a law degree opens up many doors. I think it depends from what program you graduated and how much experience you have. But these are just my thoughts. 

Thanks, it's good to get the perspective of someone who actually has the degree. I've gotten into a couple of good law schools, but the total cost of a joint degree program is huge. Considering what you've said and what I've heard from others, I'll probably just pass on the law school side of things unless I get a significant scholarship.

yep, as facade says, the most important factor for me is also securing a job after the program ends.

my best resource in helping me make my decision is definitely my friend who graduated from IRPS a few years ago and is now working a job she loves. it seems career services really does everything they can to help (they have it broken down by sector...so each advisor specializes in a particular sector, like NGOs, private/public).

the second big factor to me is the emphasis on the quantitative skills. my math/econ isn't particularly strong, but i'm excited to be gaining some hard skills that are useful!

the only drawback (personally) is their quarterly system. what would normally take a full semester to learn is crammed into 8-10 weeks, which detracts from deep understanding imo. especially with languages in particular (and difficult ones, like Mandarin, for example).

That's awesome to hear about your friend. And about career services, as I know people at some other schools receive little hands-on attention.

I'm also concerned about the quarter system and would prefer to operate within the semester system. I did read a post by a professor (at another school) online, however, and he/she praised the quarter system because it let professors focus on the most important aspects of the subject without including filler. Great for breadth and perhaps poor for depth, like you said.

It's too bad IR/PS doesn't have something comparable to what I just received from Elliott regarding employment statistics.  It's a 13 page PDF with specific outcomes and stats.  Has anyone enocuntered anything besides the one webpage at: http://irps.ucsd.edu/current-students/career-services/employers/employment-statistics.htm?

I was looking at that earlier as well. Great information to have, and it made me like Elliott even more.

Well, the more I think the more I like UCSD more and more. In retrospect, I wish I had not applied to the PhD programs, but instead applied to the MA programs at all the various schools. I am sure I would have been competitive. My GRE scores were ok (Verbal: 159, Q: 148, AW: 5.5), fluent in 3 languages (English, German and Farsi), lived in Germany. Undergrad GPA was a 3.69 (CA state school) majored in Poli Sci, law school GPA was a 2.93 (though the curve was set at 2.8). 

But I will deal with the cards I have.

Another info I almost forgot to share: around 40% of each graduating class have jobs secured by the time they graduate. Around 80% - 90% after 6-9 months. I was able to elicit that info. I thought it was very equitable on the part of them to disclose that info. And I gave them credit for their transparency. 

Another info I almost forgot to share: around 40% of each graduating class have jobs secured by the time they graduate. Around 80% - 90% after 6-9 months. I was able to elicit that info. I thought it was very equitable on the part of them to disclose that info. And I gave them credit for their transparency. 

I assume those numbers already include those who choose to pursue further studies/PhDs and such?

I'm also going to assume that the 6-9 month figure is largely due to students working internships after graduation that turn into fulltime offers?

Would be nice to have more info...but that is up to the school's discretion. From what my friend tells me, pretty much all of her classmates were satisfied with their outcomes, so that's a good sign.

Right now, I'm down to either SIPA (no $) or IRPS ($$$). Trying to get as much info as humanly possible before making a decision, but IRPS is making me decide by early next week if I want to claim my scholarship.

Do you think UCSD IR/PS is worth going to if you did not receive funding from the big name schools like Georgetown and JHU SAIS?

I think UCSD is perfect fit for me and so far, I prefer it. and cost would be so much easier to handle (in-state tuition), but am afraid I might limit my opportunities after graduation.  My main interest is working in the private sector (consulting or global trade or finance) or research.  Is it worth paying full price tag in SAIS or Georgetown or not? UCSD has a great career services placement and I'd also be getting a lot of hard skills, something that is useful for someone that doesn't have much relevant work experience like myself (1 yrs in software). What do you guys think? 

Edited by 2012latam

I'm in a similar debate 2012latam. I think IRPS suits my academic and professional interests, but I fear distance from NY, DC could be detrimental. That said, it seems IRPS has a pretty devoted bunch of folks working in career services. Additionally, IRPS students frequently intern in DC, and the school runs professional development trips to DC, NY, SF. In the end, securing an exciting job in one of those hotspots will depend a lot more on your networking skills and prior experience, regardless of where you go to school. No doubt being in DC makes everything easier. But UCSD is cheaper, and I think a better fit if Asia and Latin America are of primary interest to you.

zd0943, my main focus is on international trade , consulting, and finance in the private sector, I feel there would be many opportunities in California as well.  Whereas if I want a job in the public sector, maybe then it would be harder for someone coming out of UCSD.  Anyways, good luck with your decision !

Quant and econ. At least they're not charging full unit price, I guess. $1600 out of pocket seems steep but $1600 in the grand scheme of loans (assuming these classes qualify) is just a drop in the bucket.

Anyone have any reading suggestions for getting back into the academic mindset? I to get some recommendations, but will probably get stuff from a pretty diverse array of subject areas. I'm thinking about picking up Henry Kissinger's On China, and was wondering if anyone who has read it would recommend it.

My short reading list consisted of Robert Gates' Duty, Noam Chomsky's Hegemony or Survival, Daniel Yergin's The Quest, and Henry Kissinger's World Order.

The University sent out a list of suggested summer reading material as part of the admit packet thing they e-mailed us post-acceptance. I've already started on it, but it seems a bit easy.

Yeah I gave that a quick glance but it seemed more like a bunch of plugs for work done by the program's faculty

Yeah, was the reading list provided via email? In terms of digital communication, I haven't received too much of an "admit packet;" just official acceptance letters, next steps/instructions for submitting deposit, etc. 

I received it on March 17th in the same e-mail as the Dean's letter, and it was a pdf file with 14 pages dubbed "an electronic version of your admit packet". I'm abroad now, so perhaps the same thing was mailed to those in the US? There isn't anything in it all that important, but it would certainly be something I enjoyed looking over.

• 2 months later...

Interested to hear feedback on UCSD's new MPP program at IRPS (now GPS.)  Has more of a comparative bent to domestic policy issues. Also seems to not have a foreign language requirement like the MPIA program has.  

It seems similar to other programs I'm looking to apply to:  USC Price & UCLA Luskin. As I am an alum of UCSD from the Political Science Dept, just really intrigued with this new Master of Public Policy program at IRPS.  Thanks

Hi everyone,

I graduated from IRPS in June of 2014. I have some comments regarding what I have read in this forum so far:

1. The quant requirements. In general, I would say they are easy (except maybe for QM1) if you have taken classes on regression or econometrics. You could even waive them (I wish I would have done that). However, if you are, for example, an English major who has never ever taken any Calculus/Economics class in your undergrad, IRPS might be daunting. Pretty much everyone passes and there were three people who were "conditioned" 2 foreigners and one American, but they did fine in the second semester.

2. Career services. They are pretty good and could help you. However, you have to understand that they do not get you a job, you are the one doing that. Therefore do not expect to do nothing and get job interviews. They have big networks and always inform you about jobs, but it is your main responsibility to get an internship and a job.

3. I have friends who studied at SIPA. In terms of the quality of students and teaching, it seems that both schools are pretty similar, as my friends (exclassmates from college) made the same comments about their fellow classmates and the effort they put into classes. However, I would say that SIPA has better connections and you could get better jobs if you study there, but it is my perception. Also, one American female classmate was disappointed about people not having a job right after finishing classes; I thought she was exaggerating but said schools in DC/New York were better at placing their students. I got a job in Risk Management in a Financial Group in my country like 2-3 months after finishing, it was a change in my career and I do think my education in IRPS was the reason I got it, plus my college is pretty good at the national level.

4. RA/TA. I have seen that some students got involved into some projects, but I would say it is definitely less than  one third. For example, the IRPS (now GPS) students become TA's for the classes for the first year (Managerial Econ 2 TA's, Finance 2 TAs, QM1 2 TAs from IRPS, QM2 2 TAs from IRPS, QM3 1 TA from IRPS. Other classes might have one TA or none, as many classes are not that big. However, consider that in order to be a TA you need to have at least A in the class and be familiar with the professor. 

5. General classes. I found that most "policy" classes are irrelevant to those working in the private sector, as you do not use them at all (a girl from another class told me the same). Still, I had to take them and realized I could have taken other classes.

I do not regret my education there, as I got things from it and now I can have more education on something else. Still you can make the best of your stay; it entirely depends on you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

I am a second year student at GPS (IE, China). I assume many of you are at UCSD already for prep, and I look forward to meeting you all in September! As a current student, I would just like to add on to the points made in the post above mine: 

- In our class (a year after Karoku_valentine), we had at least two people fail the Quant/Econ required classes; neither of them are in the program anymore. So if you are not someone with a previous background in these subjects and are struggling to pick it up, please find a study group and/or friends to study with ASAP! The curve does help most people pass the classes even if they are struggling, but there are outliers, and if you aren't a Quant person, don't wait too long and let yourself be the unlucky one that has to retake the course. 

- Career Services has a large network for private sector jobs. David Robinson in particular is an invaluable resource and I encourage all of you to be proactive and get in touch with him early! For government sector work though, IRPS/GPS has virtually no network outside of California. Compared to the traditional power programs in the East Coast, UCSD has no significant network to speak of in DC, all there currently is are individual graduates sparsely spread out amongst various three/four-lettered agencies (Other schools have blocks of alumni within these agencies). From what I've seen, UCSD has no plan or intention of developing its DC connections, so if you are attending GPS but you want to do federal government work once you graduate, you need to get a jump-start on that by yourself as Career Services won't be much help.

- As Karoku_valentine mentioned, graduate placement (within the US, at least) is one of the biggest weaknesses of GPS, so be prepared to have to start earlier and do more to distinguish yourself from East Coast MIAs. To me, doing clubs (and taking on leadership responsibilities) and unique extracurriculars (of which there are plenty of in San Diego!) is the best way to go about this; in job and internship searches everyone is going to have a glittering GPA, so you need more than that to stand out in the crowd. Get a start on extracurriculars as soon as the first Trimester starts!