Current or alumnis of USC/UCLA MSWs?

hello everyone! I really hope to get an insight on everyone's MSW experiences at UCLA/USC. I got accepted to advanced standing for USC which allows to me finish school in one year, as well as the 2 year track for UCLA.

Initially, I was certain that I would go to USC but the admissions process hasn't really been that helpful and encouraging. Within 3 weeks of receiving my acceptance letter I am being rushed by my field coordinator to pick a concentration and field placement. When told that I am still debating between two concentrations and asked if it is possible to change my concentration if I get accepted to a stipend I was informed I must stick with the concentration that I need to pick (now!) and that is "just the way USC works". When asked why I was unable to change concentrations when school does not start anytime soon, I was informed they are very busy with their placements since they are competing for spots with other schools. Which doesn't make sense to me, because UCLA has barely sent me my intent to enroll forms, nor are they asking for my acceptance deposit yet. I sense they will not grill me on my concentration for at least another two months.

This was not the only incident that made me feel uncomfortable about enrolling into USC, but it was the tipping point that led me to question my enrollment after I've already made the 280$ nonrefundable deposit! I understand the admin faculty should not reflect the program quality and hope the program itself is worth it, so I am interested in your experiences at USC and UCLA. The price tag would essentially be the same, since USC adv program is 1 year ~55k, vs UCLA 2 year which comes out to be about the same price. The big plus here for USC is the time saver. USC is offering a 9k scholarship, and UCLA hasn't sent any information for scholarships yet but I have heard that they are more generous.

Your issue might not be with the entire USC School of Social Work itself, but rather with the nature and structure of an advanced standing program. I was also accepted to both USC and UCLA; however, I did not apply for advanced standing but rather, the standard 2 year track for both. In my case, USC has not yet pressured me to pick a specialization or field placement (I won't be allowed to "pick" a field placement during my first year of the 2 year program I think); however, I know I will eventually have to for both USC and UCLA. To my understanding, advanced standing programs assume you have already covered the basics of social work and have enough experience to where you would only need to focus on what you wish to specialize in the field. This would explain the requirement of having a BSW in order to get into an advanced standing master's program I believe. Since you are in the standard 2 year track for UCLA, that program is probably assuming you still need to cover the basics before specializing. If you are not ready to pick a specialization, then I would suggest going into the standard 2 year program, since its curriculum will allow you to cover the basics and get some exposure before deciding where you want to specialize. Also, it may be worth noting that, even though UCLA does not offer an advanced standing program, you can have some of your previous courses taken during your BSW program approved by the department, thus allowing you to substitute those intro courses with other courses within or outside the department, according to pages 8-9 of the 2014-2015 UCLA MSW student manual. (http://luskin.ucla.edu/sites/default/files/mswmanual_14-15.pdf)

Thank you for your reply adacot. Yes I agree it may be because of the advanced standing program, and not of the USC school itself which is why I'm wondering what alumnis or current students think of the USC program. I actually have my pick in concentration already, but just wanted to have a peace of mind that I could change it in case I decided to apply for a stipend.i felt like 3 weeks from the day of my acceptance was a bit fast to determine which school to even go to, let alone explore my options for scholarships and stipends. From my knowledge most schools do not ask you to accept their program until at least april. UCLA can have some of its courses waived, but still requires 76 units for graduation- making it a 2 year program nonetheless.

Edited by MSWdilemmas

I was also accepted to both USC and UCLA, and I called USC to ask for an extension to respond about my decision. They simply gave me two more weeks to decide and I was able to extend it again as much as I needed. As far as I know, I believe graduate schools are not able to mandate that you reply before April 15 (the national deadline) and even if you do, you are able to retract your decision.  

https://grad.ucla.edu/asis/entsup/resolution.pdf

• 10 months later...

Hey all!! I applied in December for fall 2016... I have not heard about my status, but I was emailed an invitation to apply for the Deans Leadership Scholars scholarship....Any thoughts?!

Edited by MrsKozee
Typo