Stony Brook University - fall 2015

Adelantero

I've been admitted here and am pretty likely to attend - I'll be attending a departmental retreat in a couple of weeks but am pretty committed to going at this point given the research interests in the lab and the fellowship I've been given. I'll be entering through Ecology/Evolution. Anyone else?

Edited by Adelantero

I'll be visiting the department next weekend and I'll talk to some of the current students about housing. I get the feeling most grad students live off campus, which is what I would want to do in any case. Still, I'm not sure I'm going to have a lot of time in August to arrive very early, see a few apartments, and make a decision, so I'm not really sure what I'll end up doing.  I've been watching craigslist every couple of days, but I figure more places will open up after the end of the academic year/closer to August.

I have been told that a fair number of students live in Brooklyn and Queens, but that just seems too far for me.  I would rather take the train to the city, rather than have to take it to class.  Something small and close to campus would be perfect, hopefully you are right about the CL situation, Adelantero.  

I've been watching Craigslist, too, for a few weeks now just because I've been really bored waiting for other decisions! I saw a few cute cottages that would have been amazing but those got snatched up very quickly. I loved the area when I visited and I am definitely not interested in living in Queens or Brooklyn.

I am currently a masters student at stony brook psychology, and am going to start the phd in psychology- integrative neuroscience in the fall. I live in port jefferson right now, and i think most grad students do not live in the dorms (they are kinda gross).

I think I'm gonna try for Port Jeff. I hope I find something good and don't have to settle for another area!

Also, cats. I want em.

How much is housing (regular apt, sharing with other ppl) on average...? last time i visited they said around $800?

Need to save money for a frenchie. 27k isn't too much ==

Okay - just back from the departmental retreat. Here's what I can report re: housing - Almost everyone told me that living on campus was a waste of money. Long Island is sort of a weird place covered in strip malls with few real towns in the way that most people think of them. Grad students are pretty spread out in a circle from the campus, so I think driving time factors into folks' decisions as to where to live.  Port Jefferson seems to be the place that people suggested first, with the caveat that it's typically a little more expensive. Housing is expensive in general, and most of the towns nearby restrict legal rentals to 3 people who are not a family. So as you can imagine, the majority of people living off campus live illegally, either in apartments that are floors of someone's home, converted basements, or whole homes with a ton of bedrooms.  

I was told it's kind of hard to do the apartment shopping thing from afar, but the gang in my lab was super helpful and offered to take a look at a place for me if I found one I liked. There are also typically departmental email lists you could get in on, because other grad students are always looking to fill rooms that people have moved out of. I'm worrying less about it all now.

I'm seeing a few cottages on Craigslist that would be so affordable, and comfortable, if split with a few roommates. Some of these are right by the water which would be so amazing! I need to meet potential roommates!

hey anyone wants to rent rooms tgt? Im a girl - want to have a puppy at some point in the future but not right away - normal life cycle - maximum acceptable rent $900......

might end up somewhere far away lol

And does anyone know when the program officially starts? is it gna be early august or something?

I have nowhere to live this summer - haven't heard back from interns or so, and I'm not going home

If orientation is a week before term, then orientation starts the week of the 24th of august. Which is going to make my life hellish because I get off of my job on the other side of the country on the 17th.

Ditto on the needing to meet potential roommates!

I ended up listing my name on the off campus housing roommate page, though I still haven't seen it post. Hopefully more people do this! I already found someone that matches up with my preferences so this is a pretty easy way to get going.

I just accepted my offer! So Stony Brook, here I come!

To join the previous discussion, I stayed in Port Jeff while I was visiting the program and it was lovely. The down side is I think you'll definitely need a car to live there (it took me 15/20 minutes by car each morning).

I do think I'd rather find a walking/biking distance house for the first year since I'm moving from Italy and I don't think I'll have the money to buy a car.

In talking with a new professor in my department, there's a bus that will take you from Port Jeff to campus. The problem with living close to campus is that there really isn't a town. In other words, it's a task to get groceries and what not without a car unless you live in one of the towns nearby that actually have supermarkets. But then you need a car to get to school... catch 22.

I ended up listing my name on the off campus housing roommate page, though I still haven't seen it post. Hopefully more people do this! I already found someone that matches up with my preferences so this is a pretty easy way to get going.

hi VulpesZerda could you please share the page with us..?