MFA arts 2015: FUNDING AND DECISIONS

Milkyways

Hey everybody. As acceptances are coming, I'd like to see what kind of funding opportunities are offered and what weight this has on your program selection.

Edited by Milkyways

My case, any insight is very appreciated:

So far I have been offered something that would be +5k/year both for Cornell and Alfred ( between tuition waivers and TA) ,  +15k 1st year and +5k 2d and 3d year for Maryland University, and am still waiting for results in Northwestern and CMU.

Maryland University-College Park 's offer is excellent for the first year because of a 10k fellowship , but for 2d and 3d year it is the same as Alfred and Cornell. So there's not a big difference financially.

Cornell and Alfred are very similar financially. Both offer very good funding, and it comes to a matter of the emphasis of the program. I like Cornell's interdisciplinary approach, and Alfred's strength in material experimentation. Tough choice.

Even if I have no idea wether I'll get into CMU or not (I'd love to) I have read in the forums that even though funding is good, the balance would be something like -9000/ year. Now considering that CMU is a 3 year program, it would come to a 27k total, plus living expenses. This is a dream program, but I am far from being affluent so I would have to think how I could cover these costs. 

What do you think? do you have similar concerns?

Hey everybody. As acceptances are coming, I'd like to see what kind of funding opportunities are offered and what weight this has on your program selection.

Hi Milkways,

I have not heard from all schools yet, but I have an interview with Hunter 3/13, and am assuming that Columbia has rejected me despite not having heard anything.

Rutgers is the only acceptance that I've received up to now and it came with VERY big funding (I don't feel comfortable saying the amount, but it is truly very big). I live in NYC, so if I get into Hunter also (which does not give funding at all), I am going to have a difficult time deciding.

Hunter is relatively inexpensive, I won't have to relocate or buy a car, I have a bit of a network there already, and I'll be able to continue with my current job (although with a reduced schedule). With Rutgers, there'll be much more of an adjustment.

I'm leaning toward the money, but reserving judgement... also welcoming input and recommendations from all!

Hi Milkways,

I have not heard from all schools yet, but I have an interview with Hunter 3/13, and am assuming that Columbia has rejected me despite not having heard anything.

Rutgers is the only acceptance that I've received up to now and it came with VERY big funding (I don't feel comfortable saying the amount, but it is truly very big). I live in NYC, so if I get into Hunter also (which does not give funding at all), I am going to have a difficult time deciding.

Hunter is relatively inexpensive, I won't have to relocate or buy a car, I have a bit of a network there already, and I'll be able to continue with my current job (although with a reduced schedule). With Rutgers, there'll be much more of an adjustment.

I'm leaning toward the money, but reserving judgement... also welcoming input and recommendations from all!

Carter, what kind of work do you do? I know quite a few MFA students at Hunter and I believe everybody is pretty happy here ( I am in a studio currently lol). The second year studios are super nice. And being in New York is great because of the events, openings etc. The open studios are rather informal but there is a lot of crowd seeing what graduates are doing, and that's the biggest plus of Hunter's location. There are quite a few successful Hunter mfa alumni, so people are paying attention too. But if you already live here, it might not be as exciting or advantageous. 

Honestly, if Rutgers is giving you enough money to cover tuition and living expenses, I'd consider their offer very seriously. You might not have to relocate for Hunter, but you'll need to keep working to support yourself and pay tuition ( This can be detrimental to your performance, unless you actually like your job enough to keep it for other reasons besides money). A friend of mine is going through a lot of stress because of that. He feels he doesn't get enough time in the studio because he needs to work to pay the bills. So if the money they are offering you alleviates your workload, go with Rutgers. Otherwise Hunter is a good deal.

* actually there are open studios next friday, I suppose you are coming right?

Edited by Milkyways

Carter, what kind of work do you do? I know quite a few MFA students at Hunter and I believe everybody is pretty happy here ( I am in a studio currently lol). The second year studios are super nice. And being in New York is great because of the events, openings etc. The open studios are rather informal but there is a lot of crowd seeing what graduates are doing, and that's the biggest plus of Hunter's location. There are quite a few successful Hunter mfa alumni, so people are paying attention too. But if you already live here, it might not be as exciting or advantageous. 

Honestly, if Rutgers is giving you enough money to cover tuition and living expenses, I'd consider their offer very seriously. You might not have to relocate for Hunter, but you'll need to keep working to support yourself and pay tuition ( This can be detrimental to your performance, unless you actually like your job enough to keep it for other reasons besides money). A friend of mine is going through a lot of stress because of that. He feels he doesn't get enough time in the studio because he needs to work to pay the bills. So if the money they are offering you alleviates your workload, go with Rutgers. Otherwise Hunter is a good deal.

* actually there are open studios next friday, I suppose you are coming right?

Hey yeah, Great response. Thanks! I know a couple MFA students at Hunter, also a few BFA students. I did my BA there. Well, I was there 2 years doing mostly the art credits for a 2nd BA. The faculty is great and I know that Hunter gets lots of attention. That's my dilemma really. Sure, Rutgers is giving me money, but is there any attention given to Rutgers MFA students?

I already teach, but design stuff and not art. I will continue teaching, but fewer classes. I intend to go to the open studios. I do every year, although this will be the first time in a while that I'll be going on Friday. I've had Friday evening classes to teach for a while now, but not this term. I'd have taken it off anyway because of the interview.

As I stated in the freak-out forum, I got the initial funding offer from SFAI today. They are offering 14k per year. Considering it's a bill of almost 46k, that's not all that much! :wacko:

Hey yeah, Great response. Thanks! I know a couple MFA students at Hunter, also a few BFA students. I did my BA there. Well, I was there 2 years doing mostly the art credits for a 2nd BA. The faculty is great and I know that Hunter gets lots of attention. That's my dilemma really. Sure, Rutgers is giving me money, but is there any attention given to Rutgers MFA students?

I already teach, but design stuff and not art. I will continue teaching, but fewer classes. I intend to go to the open studios. I do every year, although this will be the first time in a while that I'll be going on Friday. I've had Friday evening classes to teach for a while now, but not this term. I'd have taken it off anyway because of the interview.

Ok I see. You're right about Rutgers' not being as popular as Hunter. However being a Hunter alumni, I'm unsure about how many new contacts you will actually be making if you go back there. The contacts you will make at Hunter would come from showing here, but Rutgers is not that far from NYC and I imagine they must run exhibits here too. Plus Rutgers is on this new "the most bang for your buck" list... I would say it's pretty popular too.

As for your job, teaching, even if it's not art stuff, seems pretty cool to me. Anyways, choice. Both of the programs are really good.

As I stated in the freak-out forum, I got the initial funding offer from SFAI today. They are offering 14k per year. Considering it's a bill of almost 46k, that's not all that much! :wacko:

46k including living expenses? 14/46 is not the highest funding around, but if you like the program and can pay, why not? 

46k including living expenses? 14/46 is not the highest funding around, but if you like the program and can pay, why not? 

They suggest using 46k as the yearly cost of attending- actual yearly tuition is about 41k, and being in SF.... well rent yearly will be about 10-13k.

Edited by valoia

They suggest using 46k as the yearly cost of attending- actual yearly tuition is about 41k, and being in SF.... well rent yearly will be about 10-13k.

My two cents, its not worth it. I'm not sure of your financial situation, but this type of offer was given to me last year by RISD and SAIC. I think its fairly common, to cover about 1/3rd of tuition.  The schools are too expensive and its not worth having to take out $50,000+ in loans to attend. At least that would have been my only option. 

Hi Milkways,

Hi, Carter Johnson.

I wanted to ask this more about Hunter not offering funding. Would only mind giving more info/details about that. It would really help because I am introducing interviewing there.

My situation thus far:

I was accepted into both the fiber department and the sculpture department at SAIC. The fiber department offered me a dean's scholarship worth a total of 32,000 to be dispersed over my two years and a TA position! I'm very grateful, but 32,000 over two years doesn't cover most of what SAIC actually costs... They upped the tuition for this coming year so it's currently 45,810, so for two years in total it would cost 91,620 minus my scholarship of 32,000 is $59,620 for tuition. My parents are giving me 30,000 to use for living/expenses (as per they did with my siblings), so the 60,000 in loans would cover it for me.... I have no other loans. I'm also looking into outside scholarships. I'm considering it seriously.

I had an interview for RISD on Monday and if I got in and they offered me more or comparable I might go here instead because I have something hooked up there that my rent would only be 250 monthly. I also just had an interview with carnegie mellon and penn state gave me a full ride and living stipend. I'm considering penn state very seriously as well.

. What are ya'll thoughts on my situation thus far? I'm collecting ideas

My situation thus far:

I was accepted into both the fiber department and the sculpture department at SAIC. The fiber department offered me a dean's scholarship worth a total of 32,000 to be dispersed over my two years and a TA position! I'm very grateful, but 32,000 over two years doesn't cover most of what SAIC actually costs... They upped the tuition for this coming year so it's currently 45,810, so for two years in total it would cost 91,620 minus my scholarship of 32,000 is $59,620 for tuition. My parents are giving me 30,000 to use for living/expenses (as per they did with my siblings), so the 60,000 in loans would cover it for me.... I have no other loans. I'm also looking into outside scholarships. I'm considering it seriously.

I had an interview for RISD on Monday and if I got in and they offered me more or comparable I might go here instead because I have something hooked up there that my rent would only be 250 monthly. I also just had an interview with carnegie mellon and penn state gave me a full ride and living stipend. I'm considering penn state very seriously as well.

Penn State is the obvious choice. Especially if you're getting a stipend -- its like they're paying you to go to school!

The scholarship from SAIC is a nice gesture, and they have a great reputation, but that's still $60k in student loans you'll have to wrestle with. Sixty thousand dollars. And I mean, look at how much number-crunching you're already doing and you haven't even stepped foot onto campus yet. You're already in the left-brained/logical/rational frame of mind ... isnt that the opposite frame of mind to be in when it comes to art making? Like you, Ive been lucky to receive full-funding from a school, and i'm grateful for that because I know it will allow me to focus on the work and I won't have to use brain power worrying about tuition. And ultimately, I think this will help keep me more lucid and engaged in the work while in the program. These programs will demand a lot from us, and I think worst thing that I think can happen in an MFA experience is to have this weird concept of "tuition" creep into the studio. Personally it would throw me off & the work would suffer.

It does seem like you come from a more affluent family though, so maybe the burden of loans wouldn't weigh on you as much as it would someone like me (?) And if that's the case, maybe the private art schools are worth a shot. I mean, if your parents are giving you and your siblings $30k each, I would imagine that you could go to them if you run into serious money problems down the road... I dont know, I could be wrong here, I dont really know you. 

Anyway, I'd kick SAIC and RISD to the curb if I were in your situation. Don't pay for grad school unless you have no other options.

Edited by Vinny51

Penn State is the obvious choice. Especially if you're getting a stipend -- its like they're paying you to go to school!

The scholarship from SAIC is a nice gesture, and they have a great reputation, but that's still $60k in student loans you'll have to wrestle with. Sixty thousand dollars. And I mean, look at how much number-crunching you're already doing and you haven't even stepped foot onto campus yet. You're already in the left-brained/logical/rational frame of mind ... isnt that the opposite frame of mind to be in when it comes to art making? Like you, Ive been lucky to receive full-funding from a school, and i'm grateful for that because I know it will allow me to focus on the work and I won't have to use brain power worrying about tuition. And ultimately, I think this will help keep me more lucid and engaged in the work while in the program. These programs will demand a lot from us, and I think worst thing that I think can happen in an MFA experience is to have this weird concept of "tuition" creep into the studio. Personally it would throw me off & the work would suffer.

It does seem like you come from a more affluent family though, so maybe the burden of loans wouldn't weigh on you as much as it would someone like me (?) And if that's the case, maybe the private art schools are worth a shot. I mean, if your parents are giving you and your siblings $30k each, I would imagine that you could go to them if you run into serious money problems down the road... I dont know, I could be wrong here, I dont really know you. 

Anyway, I'd kick SAIC and RISD to the curb if I were in your situation. Don't pay for grad school unless you have no other options.

much yes!

My situation thus far:

Hello Leah. I believe that fibers is a different monster, as it might probably end up offering you a different, more stable kind of job. If the loan is payable in your case and you have your parents' support, I would still consider it. Specially if you want your practice to head that way. That's the big heavy reason (ok and maybe prestige) I see to stick with SAIC. In my current economic situation, I would not even dream about going into a 60k loan (my parents are more the kind that will probably ask me to lend them some cash).

A full ride at Penn is a great offer, it is pretty prestigious. But wait for RISD and CMU's proposals. I believe CMU offers excellent funding. Maybe not a full ride but enough for you to save more than half what you need to ask for SAIC . I am waiting for CMU as well, and in my case funding is a determinant factor.

Hello Leah. I believe that fibers is a different monster, as it might probably end up offering you a different, more stable kind of job. If the loan is payable in your case and you have your parents' support, I would still consider it. Specially if you want your practice to head that way. That's the big heavy reason (ok and maybe prestige) I see to stick with SAIC. In my current economic situation, I would not even dream about going into a 60k loan (my parents are more the kind that will probably ask me to lend them some cash).

A full ride at Penn is a great offer, it is pretty prestigious. But wait for RISD and CMU's proposals. I believe CMU offers excellent funding. Maybe not a full ride but enough for you to save more than half what you need to ask for SAIC . I am waiting for CMU as well, and in my case funding is a determinant factor.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!!! Yes, I was thinking with fibers there would be more career possibilities. I only applied to fibers at SAIC, but everywhere else I applied to sculpture. What's the more stable job that you're thinking of? I was imagining that if I can't get a professorship or while I wait to land a professor gig, maybe I could get involved with costume or theater with a fibers degree. I have been told by my professors that I could teach fibers or sculpture with a SAIC degree in fiber and material studies... As long as my portfolio contained sculptural techniques and with the prestige of SAIC.

I'm definitely waiting to see what all my schools say. I think I owe it to myself to see it through... I'm not kicking anyone to the curb yet. :) I'm trying to look at this thing from all angles and pick what is best for me. I'm thinking about what I can reasonably afford.

Good luck with carnegie mellon! Maybe we'll end up at the same program! :)

I've been watching this forum and thought I'd chime in with a few thoughts.   I have applied for MFA, but am assuming rejection right now.  Although disappointing, it's okay because I could use the time to get ready to go.   

I am likely more than a little older than most grad applicants and have a bachelor's and master's in entirely different fields.  I remember being as freaked out as many of you are about the cost of my first master's.  Someone said to me: "Well, you can work for 10 years to earn enough, or you can take out a loan, go now, and take 10 years to pay it off."  That convinced me to take out the loan and do it.  (I do recognize that we are in a different economy these days)

I attended SAIC as a prior degree undergrad (I had applied for the BFA because I didn't feel ready for an MFA).  I went for one semester, absolutely loved it, have no regrets about the debt, but felt any further financial investment would be better put toward a masters.  I wasn't sure my work was ready for that, but thought I'd apply anyway.  The debt I incurred for one BFA semester was about the same as I did for my whole master's oh so many years ago!   As I said, I have no regrets.   

A word of caution to those thinking they could get through a prior degree BFA at SAIC in 2 years:  You will need to have a ton of studio credits that transfer in order to do that.  Many first time bachelor's students take 5 years to finish a BFA at SAIC.  

I have a career that provides a stable income, but not enough excess to pay for an MFA without scholarships/grants/loans.   I'd be more than willing to incur more debt for school, but with limits.  Finances are important to consider....and consider carefully....but don't sell your soul!    Take your time to figure out how to go where you really want to go.   

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!!! Yes, I was thinking with fibers there would be more career possibilities. I only applied to fibers at SAIC, but everywhere else I applied to sculpture. What's the more stable job that you're thinking of? I was imagining that if I can't get a professorship or while I wait to land a professor gig, maybe I could get involved with costume or theater with a fibers degree. I have been told by my professors that I could teach fibers or sculpture with a SAIC degree in fiber and material studies... As long as my portfolio contained sculptural techniques and with the prestige of SAIC.

I'm definitely waiting to see what all my schools say. I think I owe it to myself to see it through... I'm not kicking anyone to the curb yet. :) I'm trying to look at this thing from all angles and pick what is best for me. I'm thinking about what I can reasonably afford.

Good luck with carnegie mellon! Maybe we'll end up at the same program! :)

Thanks Leah, good luck to you too! It could be nice if we did, we would have a funny grad cafe story to tell our children lol

I was referring to jobs in the textile or fashion industry. Yeah,  scenery/costumes for theatre too. It's a field that could be in the contemporary art circuit and in practices more often associated with design. I don't see why it can't be both at the same time, but I imagine this would demand more from you. Depends on how you work.

Vinny51

Decaf

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.png
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA
  • Application Season:2015 Fall
  • Program:MFA Studio Art

Posted Today, 06:38 PM

Vinny51, on 02 Mar 2015 - 4:26 PM, said:snapback.png

Does anyone know how much power we have to negotiate better deals if we've been accepted into multiple programs? Some schools have given me better funding packages than others, and i'm curious if I can use this to my advantage & pit schools against each other in order to get better offers. Has anyone done this, or heard of anyone who has done this? Is this even a thing? I don't want to use sleazy business tactics, but at the same time, I really don't want to graduate with 60-80k in student loan debt...

thepictureisstill, on 02 Mar 2015 - 4:41 PM, said:snapback.png

You should absolutely use this to your advantage. There's nothing sleazy about that.

lgrcwest, on 02 Mar 2015 - 4:50 PM, said:snapback.png

I mean it definitely can't hurt. I've been trying to do it in not a crazy obvious way. It's worth a shot.

Thanks lgrcwest &  thepictureisstill for encouraging me to try this.  It turns out negotiating with schools actually works! Last week I spoke with SFAI and mentioned that I received better financial packages from a few other schools and that I was seriously considering them. The graduate recruiter asked me what these offers were, so I told her the breakdown of scholarships, fellowships, etc. Then she asked me to put all of the offers in writing for her, and she would run it by her department. In the end, it turns out they couldn't do much to match the other offers, but they ended up offering me an extra $7k a few days later. Not the best offer, but it was at least something. 

Today, after a ton of thinking,  I decided to formally decline the offer from SFAI, so I gave them a call to inform them of my decision and to thank them, out of respect. I gotta say it was kinda painful and awkward, like breaking up with someone... Anyway, as soon as I told them that I was going with a school that made me a better offer, the grad recruiter immediately asked me if another $3,000 would help. I said no, thanked her, and that was that.  

I mention this because I know a lot of you will be receiving funding packages soon, and we definitely have the power to negotiate these deals. If I hadn't said anything at all, I wouldn't have received any additional money. And i'm sure if I wanted to really press the issue with SFAI, I could've easily negotiated that last-second $3k offer into $5k, or possibly an extra $10k.  I know people are still interviewing and all that, but if you find yourself in a similar situation down the road, i'd strongly recommend pitting these schools against each other for a better deal. We have a bit more power than we think. Especially at these private art schools. 

Okay everyone thought I would hop in on this action!

I read someone got accepted into Rutgers! Damn you beat me! I really wanted to go to that school :C  I got rejected from MICA and from Virginia Commonwealth as well (though this is just coddling my ego but I did get an interview with MICA and I got a 'try next year, I also got a try next year from VCU pffffffffffff yeah right. and an offer for their summer program? Is this something they just do with any failed candidate? try next year my butt ).I'm joking though, they both seemed like very nice schools.

Anyway, for the acceptances, I have a 13,000 dollar offer from Pacific Northwest College of Art. This is puny. I rejected them outright .I belive the other offers I have recieved are much better offers anyway..

Syracuse University- 60 % off tuition, though I told them I had a full tuition offer and they actually did bring the price down $1000 dollars a semester...So that would be about $4,000 dollars a semester. $8,000 for 3 years (yes I love that it is a 3 year program) which totals to $24,000 tuition for 3 years.

Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art- $34,000 offer, which really covers about one of the 2 years. so that's more like half tuition (a little less than half) . This would mean I pay $38,000 for 2 years.

They are telling me this is one of the highest offers they have avaliable, though because of a better offer elsewhere, the professor I am in contact inquired with financial aid.  I could get more with this offer, but I am doubting it.

The best of all though is Boston University with a full tuition scholarship. That means 0 dollars for tuition for 2 years. I did try to keep in mind that Boston University's tuition is lower than PAFA's but 0 is too alluring of a number.

I think Imma have to go with Boston lol. :o I like and dislike things about each program. I am a painting candidate and I think Boston University is fairly strong in painting and it stands its ground DEFINITIELY with PAFA and Syracuse in terms of talented output (again there are things I like and dislike for each of them). 

Like someone said about SFAI, though I am feeling kind of bad about having to reject both Syracuse and PAFA. Especially Syracuse...The guy  in my skype interview walked me around and showed me all the studios and all the graduate students :C. it was so nice and he was so nice...;3;. It breaks my heart to say no haha.And this school has been the most adamant about regularly sending me emails and keeping in touch. (Boston has been very impersonal with not so much as a phone call, PAFA has emailed and given me a phone call) . 

I still have not heard from Rhode Island School of Design, though I did get into the interviews there as well. To be honest I am expecting a no. LOL.

I don't know...it's too hard not to just go for the best financial offer, especially if the schools have pretty equivalent standing (from my own opinion).

Edited by KSuverkrubbe

It probably is best to go with the money right?  :D Is that what we are all saying? haha ;p.

I think when you get into programs that are obviously pretty good it gets harder to deny the moneys. And lets all be honest, in the art world going to a certain school doesn't necessarily gurantee success (outside of academia anyway-seems like a crap ton of professors have went to Yale :P )..

Well, there may be one or two schools that you have 'guranteed success' but I doubt it..Art just isn't really like some other industries.

It probably is best to go with the money right?  :D Is that what we are all saying? haha ;p.

I think when you get into programs that are obviously pretty good it gets harder to deny the moneys. And lets all be honest, in the art world going to a certain school doesn't necessarily gurantee success (outside of academia anyway-seems like a crap ton of professors have went to Yale :P )..

Well, there may be one or two schools that you have 'guranteed success' but I doubt it..Art just isn't really like some other industries.

Well if you like the program and it's a good deal, go for it.

I would hesitate to pick a program SOLELY on financial concerns.

Certainly, money is paramount, but there are many other reasons to choose a program. Weigh all the pros and cons, tangibles and intangibles.