Math Preparation

I plan on applying to some Sociology PhD programs in the next 2-3 years but I have questions about my math preparation. I stopped my math progression after college algebra. However, I currently work on staff at a university and I have tuition remission as one of my benefits. I want to bolster my application by taking some additional math courses but I am not sure what I should take.  I assume I should take some Calc but how many courses should I take? Should I take some stats classes? I have a BA and a MS in Sociology. 

I'm not too sure how useful calc would be in sociology programs (maybe calc I-II) , but I would absolutely say take some stats classes (basics, experimental design, probability, etc).

Absolutely take a stats course, maybe two.

If you're preparing for the GRE, find a cheap but good tutor who can help you understand the ways the test tries to trick people (otherwise, the math is pretty basic; the tricks are what gets people). 

Take all the maths alllllll offffff themmmmmm. <----biased opinion here. But honestly, take all the math you can stomach while prioritizing stats/probability(by this I mean if you're going to take a bunch, take any stats/probability first). Also, like anything else, your performance on say the GRE will depend on how much you've practiced / your exposure to math(if this is something you're thinking about).

My honest advice is not to practice for the GRE per say, but to increase your exposure to mathematics (maybe taking a bunch of math courses is one way to do this).  Make it a daily habit to solve say, 10 "word problem" math questions that involve mechanics based knowledge and problem solving skills. 

Oh and I hope my other comments aren't confused with any opinions but as uselesstheory mentions above learn how to see through all the tricks on the GRE. 

Here are my other opinions on some potentially useful courses: calc will improve your algebra skills, so I guess it won't hurt, & it may not be a super useful course but i think it provides great exposure to "math based thinking". ALSO, if you plan to take a probability & statistics course it will most likely involve material from calc 1 through calc 3, a simple example are problems involving cumulative distribution functions, where you'll need to know how to integrate and differentiate(things you learn in calc). 

Take linear algebra, multivariate statistics is linear algebra(to an extent). 

If your'e up to it, consider a course such as discrete math or a foundations on proofs(or something to this extent) course. The reason I mention these courses is because you'll learn how to define terms mathematically, you'll learn how to think through problems in a specific way. You'll learn how to interpret many types of problems which you may have had problems with beforehand. 

I don't agree at all. Practice very specifically for the GRE

The program I'm attending specifically said that if you haven't taken an undergraduate statistics course, you must do that before coming to the university in the fall (or you'll have to take an undergrad stats class there, which will take up time you could be spending on your graduate coursework, etc.). This is a requirement I've seen from a lot of departments, so it would be a bad idea to completely avoid taking a statistics course, unless you simply cannot do it, for some reason.

That being said, an introductory undergraduate stats course is pretty basic and will leave you plenty of time and math-related brain space to prepare for the GRE in a way that will yield a satisfactory score. If anything, taking one stats class will help your mind get back into that type of mathematical thinking and will make familiarizing yourself with GRE math/concepts a bit less painful.

I know that UNC does have some sort of requirement on calc. As for other schools, I would just say get good at some stats, but be ready to take stats regardless of ability in stats.