Johns Hopkins SAIS 2015

Accepted to the MA at Bologna, which is great - but financial aid will be key - glued to my email today!

Accepted: SAIS, SIS, SIPA, PSIA

Rejected: Yale Jackson, WWS

Waiting: SFS

Surprised but in at SAIS. I did not select a preference for site and got placed in Bologna.

I'm still undecided, but I'm not sure I see myself in Europe next year.

Good luck everyone!

Oof, waitlisted. The waiting continues.

Edit: I'll be searching the forums, but anybody have a sense of when they'll start taking people off the waitlist? 

Edited by it's an IR world

Surprised but in at SAIS. I did not select a preference for site and got placed in Bologna.

I'm still undecided, but I'm not sure I see myself in Europe next year.

Good luck everyone!

Hey Filmore22, I see in your footer that you already know your SAIS aid package - when did you receive that?

Thanks in advance!

Admitted to SAIS DC campus with 15k in first year funding....I kind of like SAIS the best, but with 50k guaranteed funding to Fletcher....I'm not sure I like SAIS THAT much better!!

I got 15k also! Fletcher gave me 12k for comparison. :) But my application to SAIS had an analytical essay and more Statement of Purpose space to flesh out my research focus for the Adcom.

Keep in mind that 15k is renewable for the second year at SAIS, also.

I just have to ask, even though I know it's obnoxious. Does SAIS actually take anyone off the waitlist? 

I've seen plenty of people on these forums turn down SAIS acceptance from previous years. Often due to funding, sometimes due to other reasons, so sure they do take people off the waitlist. Read about how to handle being waitlisted, and try to improve your chances!

I've seen plenty of people on these forums turn down SAIS acceptance from previous years. Often due to funding, sometimes due to other reasons, so sure they do take people off the waitlist. Read about how to handle being waitlisted, and try to improve your chances!

Yes! I've already sent them a detailed message. I also let them know I'm taking an accelerated Econ class online and sending them the grades by the end of the month. My undergrad advisor and the dean of my undergrad program are also standing by ready to write me a joint rec letter.

I knew that whole quant thing would come back to bite me in the ass at some point. Congrats to everyone who did get in! I promise I won't co-opt the thread with my neurosis. 

For any current SAIS (DC) Students or for those who know details of the program, could you tell me more about the economics courses? Are they manageable, extremely difficult, a pain, etc.? Same for the quantitative reasoning requirement course.

In regards to the language requirement if we are already fluent in a foreign language but we want to learn another, is that an option? Or do you just have to stick with the one you're already proficient in? 

Additionally, are any electives allowed between concentrations, or is it a pretty strict curriculum?  

Also what if you want to switch concentrations, is it hard to do so? 

Thanks! 

Edited by crisisdiplomacy

For any current SAIS (DC) Students or for those who know details of the program, could you tell me more about the economics courses? Are they manageable etc.? Same for the quantitative reasoning requirement.

In regards to the language requirement if we are already fluent in a foreign language but we want to learn another, is that an option? Or do you just have to stick with the one you're already proficient in? 

Additionally, are any electives allowed between concentrations, or is it a pretty strict curriculum?  

Thanks! 

Dang, I am wondering exactly these same things!

For any current SAIS (DC) Students or for those who know details of the program, could you tell me more about the economics courses? Are they manageable, extremely difficult, a pain, etc.? Same for the quantitative reasoning requirement course.

Thanks! 

I was pretty worried about the econ stuff, but it's really not too bad. Honestly, nobody gains it you fail a required core too, so they will do their best to help you pass: tutors, TAs, office hours.. The only thing that could've prepared me better was brushing up my basic calculus/algebra for micro economics, and I wish I could've taken that in pre-term so I would've been able to choose different classes. As SAIS has worked its magic over the past half year, I'm honestly regretting I didn't study economics earlier in life. 

Regarding the quant course: it's totally manageable. Like with all things in life, do your homework and you'll be fine. Different professors have a slightly different emphasis on different aspects of stats, but it was fine. 

Regarding the language - you can take how many you want, but certain concentrations require a certain language, so you need to pass that to fulfill your concentration's requirement. If you're proficient in one already, you can test out of them in the first week or get placed at a certain level to take classes. For example - I qualify as a non-native speaker, my native language is not offered at SAIS. I was required to pass proficiency in English, and am taking French and German now. The three will be listed on my transcript. 

Regarding concentrations - you have the first week or so, or during orientation, to sit in on these presentations. You can switch to anything, but if you've received specific funding that's tied to your primary concentration, you can't switch. However, you can add a second concentration, and they're pretty flexible with it. As long as you meet your concentration's reqs, you can choose as many electives as you want. The more cores you manage to test out of/pass the core or waiver, the more freedom you have. 

Feel free to PM me if you need more info!

Got half-tuition funding (the US Bologna fellowship) for the upcoming year, but no mention of the second year. What does that mean for second year funding? If I have half-tuition for both years, well, SAIS would be a serious contender against Yale for me.....:)

Hi all :) After consecutively being rejected by 6 programs, I welcomed my dream program after all!!! Admitted to IDEV at SAIS, and direct from undergrad.

There's still a lot to learn, especially from those who have already had a few years of work experience ahead. Still thrilled after 20 hours receiving the admission letter :D Woken up at 2:30 am (Beijing time) finding admitted to SAIS IDEV was seriously like a dream.

:) all the anxiety was paid off, and learnt

I was pretty worried about the econ stuff, but it's really not too bad. Honestly, nobody gains it you fail a required core too, so they will do their best to help you pass: tutors, TAs, office hours.. The only thing that could've prepared me better was brushing up my basic calculus/algebra for micro economics, and I wish I could've taken that in pre-term so I would've been able to choose different classes. As SAIS has worked its magic over the past half year, I'm honestly regretting I didn't study economics earlier in life. 

Regarding the quant course: it's totally manageable. Like with all things in life, do your homework and you'll be fine. Different professors have a slightly different emphasis on different aspects of stats, but it was fine. 

Regarding the language - you can take how many you want, but certain concentrations require a certain language, so you need to pass that to fulfill your concentration's requirement. If you're proficient in one already, you can test out of them in the first week or get placed at a certain level to take classes. For example - I qualify as a non-native speaker, my native language is not offered at SAIS. I was required to pass proficiency in English, and am taking French and German now. The three will be listed on my transcript. 

Regarding concentrations - you have the first week or so, or during orientation, to sit in on these presentations. You can switch to anything, but if you've received specific funding that's tied to your primary concentration, you can't switch. However, you can add a second concentration, and they're pretty flexible with it. As long as you meet your concentration's reqs, you can choose as many electives as you want. The more cores you manage to test out of/pass the core or waiver, the more freedom you have. 

Feel free to PM me if you need more info!

Thanks a bunch! I will probably PM you to ask more questions. 

Also, typically how many courses do students take per semester? Are most classes in the evenings? Are students able to hold a job and do school at the same time?