Johns Hopkins SAIS 2015

GUYS, Those who are admitted to IDEV:

What program is it and what office?

I ask, as I have applied for MIPP (it has IDEV too) Washington office. But the results are still pending.

So I am surprised that you already have news..

Suprised and feel scary a bit

To add another question, I've noticed many people specifying which program within SAIS they were accepted into (aka IDEV).  In my acceptance letter, it only mentioned that I was accepted into the master of arts degree program for fall 2015 in DC - does that mean I get to pick my concentration/specialization?

To add another question, I've noticed many people specifying which program within SAIS they were accepted into (aka IDEV).  In my acceptance letter, it only mentioned that I was accepted into the master of arts degree program for fall 2015 in DC - does that mean I get to pick my concentration/specialization?

You can usually transfer to any concentration except IDEV. You have to specify IDEV at the time of application. 

I second this question, mine did not specify either! But elllieannn above said that you can switch to any concentration within the first few weeks of the program! 

Hi,

Is there anyone currently in the SAIS Bologna Campus who can provide some insight on the learning experience in Bologna. Is it worth the 60k with regards to the availability of courses on African Studies and AFP,  as I have read some mixed reviews.

Furthermore, is it possible to switch to the DC campus? Thanks

I got into SAIS(MA) and Harris(MPP) and think both are a great fit. I'm interested in security so I'm leaning towards SAIS but I would love to hear some advice from anyone who may have some input. 

Hi,

Is there anyone currently in the SAIS Bologna Campus who can provide some insight on the learning experience in Bologna. Is it worth the 60k with regards to the availability of courses on African Studies and AFP,  as I have read some mixed reviews.

Furthermore, is it possible to switch to the DC campus? Thanks

Switching to the DC campus is difficult, but do-able. The formal policy is that it is not allowed, but it has been done. It depends a lot on what your funding status is, if you have outside scholarships, etc. Much of the institutional aid is tied to your location. 

As for African Studies, do you plan on doing a dual-focus or uniquely African Studies? It is tricky to do in Bologna because there are limited course selections and the center as a whole skews towards Euro Studies (unsurprising given the location). It is possible to spend time fulfilling requirements, but at a certain point, you will have completed pre-reqs and may end up in a situation of having to take courses you are not quite passionate about, which would not be a fun position to be in given the costs. I strongly recommend looking at course listings/descriptions (can be found here: http://www.jhubc.it/ACADEMICS/ACADEMIC-PROGRAMS/). As you can see, there are a fair number of courses that are cross-listed under African Studies, but there are only 2 to 3 courses that are uniquely under the African Studies Program. Take the time to do your due diligence of courses you are interested in and professors you want to work with. Grad school is a considerable investment, and it's worth it to take the time to know what you're signing up for. 

@n8t - If you want to do Security, SAIS is a great option. Strategic studies is known as being one of SAIS's best programs, and Eliot Cohen is a big name.

Extremely excited to have been accepted, but a little worried about not having any funding.

Any thoughts on the pros/cons of attending SAIS by taking out loans (Stafford/Direct PLUS)? May only be necessary for the first year of study, but it is still a lot of debt. Definitely my dream school but I don't want to let that blind the rational side of me. 

Can you work full-time while at SAIs (DC Campus) or are classes mostly during the day, only leaving time for internships?

Don't quote me, but I was looking at the SAIS course registry earlier today to try to answer this question, and just eyeballing it it seems at least half of the courses offered are during morning or afternoon. About 1/3 of the courses or so are scheduled from 6pm or later. So it's not like George Washington which boasts about "strategically scheduling" 100% of their coursework to be after business hours.

I would still like to hear from an actual SAISer on this to be sure.

Edited by ir_gradstudent

For anyone curious, I asked SAIS for more funding (have about $10k more at Gtown). Got a reply from finaid today that said 45-50% of second year students get funding and there'd be an opportunity to apply for more then, based on academic performance. Oh well. I didn't like econ that much anyway. 

Greetings!

Anyone accepted/ thinking seriously about the MIEF Program? I've been admitted, and its high quant focus + short period + a nice financial offer are attracting me. Would love to discuss about it either here or privately

Hit me up if you are in a similar situation

Thanks a lot!

Good luck in your decisions guys and girls!!

Cheers!~

After reading the question earlier in the thread about transferring from Bologna to DC - I am strongly considering trying to transfer from DC to Bologna.  I want to give the admissions office a call to attempt this.  I plan on majoring in European and Eurasian Studies with the Russia track, also I don't have any funding tied to DC. 

Has anyone successfully done this transfer before (in either direction)?  Any advice?

After reading the question earlier in the thread about transferring from Bologna to DC - I am strongly considering trying to transfer from DC to Bologna.  I want to give the admissions office a call to attempt this.  I plan on majoring in European and Eurasian Studies with the Russia track, also I don't have any funding tied to DC. 

Has anyone successfully done this transfer before (in either direction)?  Any advice?

You should reach out to Kathryn Knowles, the Associate Director of European and Eurasian Studies. I skyped with her in January and she was pushing for me to transfer from DC to Bologna. I similarly was planning on majoring in European and Eurasian Studies, and was also accepted in DC.

She informed me that for European Studies specifically, it would be pretty easy to make that switch. She wasn't clear on whether funding would transfer between the two campuses.

I'd reach out to her for more information.

Don't quote me, but I was looking at the SAIS course registry earlier today to try to answer this question, and just eyeballing it it seems at least half of the courses offered are during morning or afternoon. About 1/3 of the courses or so are scheduled from 6pm or later. So it's not like George Washington which boasts about "strategically scheduling" 100% of their coursework to be after business hours.

I would still like to hear from an actual SAISer on this to be sure.

Most students moving to DC take an internship/job the second semester, just to adjust to the pace of life. I know several students who did work from the moment they came in, but full time work is very, very demanding. Some courses will just require more work than others, and I would not neglect the importance of a healthy work-life balance. A number of students do keep on their old job in the form of consulting or something, so it's possible, but not all classes will be after 6pm.

Also, if you're in the regular MA program, your language classes will be three times a week, mostly in the mornings. I feel that most glasses are Monday to Wednesday but there are ofcourse exceptions, like a Saturday class this semester. Some required classes for Econ and quant will be offered on multiple time slots, depending on the class size etc.

You should reach out to Kathryn Knowles, the Associate Director of European and Eurasian Studies. I skyped with her in January and she was pushing for me to transfer from DC to Bologna. I similarly was planning on majoring in European and Eurasian Studies, and was also accepted in DC.

She informed me that for European Studies specifically, it would be pretty easy to make that switch. She wasn't clear on whether funding would transfer between the two campuses.

I'd reach out to her for more information.

Wow thanks for that information, really helpful! I will try to get in touch with her.

Wow thanks for that information, really helpful! I will try to get in touch with her.

I am planning to do the EES concentration as well, and Kathryn was able to switch my acceptance to the Bologna campus almost immediately after I emailed her to request it. It didn't affect my funding at all (I just have institutional funding, no outside scholarship or anything)

I am planning to do the EES concentration as well, and Kathryn was able to switch my acceptance to the Bologna campus almost immediately after I emailed her to request it. It didn't affect my funding at all (I just have institutional funding, no outside scholarship or anything)

That sounds like a good sign.  I sent her an email last weekend but still haven't heard back, how long did it take her to respond to you?

To all here, I was admitted to the HNC SAIS program with a modest funding package, but still seems to be more than Hopkins normally gives. For those of you ultimately choosing SAIS, how are you reconciling the cost? I really love SAIS, but am apprehensive to tack on more loans.

To all here, I was admitted to the HNC SAIS program with a modest funding package, but still seems to be more than Hopkins normally gives. For those of you ultimately choosing SAIS, how are you reconciling the cost? I really love SAIS, but am apprehensive to tack on more loans.

Would you be doing the HNC Certificate / Masters program, or just the one year at Nanjing? 

Does anyone know how many students attend/are admitted to the SAIS DC campus? Is it a small cohort such as GU MSFS (less than 100) or larger? 

According to their website, there were 400 incoming students for the M.A. degree in Fall 2014. I assume half or a little more than half of those were for the DC campus, so the cohort should be around 200-250 students. 

As far as I know, MSFS has one of the smallest graduate cohorts in IR--perhaps not quite as small as Yale, but quite a bit smaller than SAIS or the other DC schools. 

Hope that helps! 

Edited by whitemocha37