Johns Hopkins SAIS 2015

Does anyone know how many students attend/are admitted to the SAIS DC campus? Is it a small cohort such as GU MSFS (less than 100) or larger? 

The campus numbers for SAIS are: Washington ~675/Bologna ~200/Nanjing ~180. DC has all the year 2 students, and roughly half of the year one students (with roughly the other half being in Bologna), so the first year DC cohort is between 200-300.

Edited by WinterSolstice

I've heard that most people attend SAIS Pre-Term and that this is the main way people make friends, especially in the first year. Will I be at a disadvantage if I don't go? I landed a pretty good internship for the summer, and it doesn't end until mid-August so I wouldn't be able to go to pre-term. But I'm not sure if groups will be formed by this time and it will be tough to break the surface. Thoughts? 

Edited by crisisdiplomacy

Greetings!

Anyone accepted/ thinking seriously about the MIEF Program? I've been admitted, and its high quant focus + short period + a nice financial offer are attracting me. Would love to discuss about it either here or privately

Hit me up if you are in a similar situation

Thanks a lot!

Good luck in your decisions guys and girls!!

Cheers!~

The same ques I want to ask...   :)

Pro I think: short period, supper heavy course emphasis on quant and econ, tint-sized class, intense course structure, two electives on IR course (offset for a lack of pol course)

con: high cost, short period, brand new program which barely has grad to demonstrate its quality...

Anyway, SAIS is my dream school which i would kill myself to get in. already paid the $500 matri fee.

Other schools like Elliot GWU, SIS AU, NYU GSAS IR, IRPS UCSD, their graduates i don't think are in the same weight class with SAIS graduates to compete for high-salary private sector posts

What do you think? Correct me if i am wrong

Can anyone that attended Admitted Student Day today share some insight on their experience? 

1) Academics: Top-notch, no doubt you'll be getting a really good education, especially in international economics as compared to other IR schools. Acquiring "technical" skills will, no doubt, help you getting jobs.  

2) Careers: two sides 1) It seems a great fit for multilaterals and thinks tanks but 2) private sector I'm not so sure. Although almost half enter the private sector, in finance or consulting, median starting salary is 65K, which tells me that those going into the private sector are not going into high paying jobs such as investment banking or management consulting. Most likely they go into risk analysis, idev consulting, risk management, etc. 

2.1) Careers Services: SAIS students have complained about how CS doesn't help them much. 

3) MBA? It's not as flexible as an MBA degree! You might be able to make it into investment banking, with some effort, but it's highly unlikely you will make it into strategic/management consulting.

4) Students: International, a bit younger crowd than MSFS Georgetown, different professional goals. You will find from Stanford/Yale/MIT undergrads to graduates of state schools. Usually those from elite schools come right out college and some are doing a joint JD.  

Financial Aid: It gave me the impression the staff is not really helpful in finding alternate sources of funding. Not much additional aid from SAIS. You may apply for 2nd year funding and that will be completely dependent on your GPA (3.6/3.7 seem to be the cut-offs). 

Can anyone give some insight on thier conflict management concentration? I'm also intersted inrefugees and migration, but I'm not sure how SAIS is with these subjects...

I'm interested in those topics as well, but the iLaw and Organizations concentration seemed to have a lot more courses related to refugees etc. than conflict management. But I don't go there yet so idk for sure! 

• 2 weeks later...

Crisisdiplomacy - what convinced you that SAIS was your best bet? Considering your interest in refugees etc. Please indulge a panicking addmitee.

It was the fact that they had such a versatile curriculum that didn't only focus on theory but actually is practical and applicable. the ILAW concentration seems like it offers a lot of interesting courses and opportunities, and I like that, you get to take ILAW courses plus courses in a few other areas as well. But I also like the strong economic and quantitative component the program provides, which I believe is extremely important and can open a lot of doors. That's just my reasoning! Plus being in DC you have huge access to humanitarian NPOs etc. SAIS and SIPA are pretty much the only two prestigious schools I've seen that offer a variety of courses in human rights / humanitarian action etc. 

Has anyone that submitted their deposit to SAIS received any post-acceptance info yet?

I submitted my deposit 3 weeks ago and I've heard nothing, and I'm getting kind of antsy!  

Post-acceptance info doesn't really go out until after the May deadline. Anyone who didn't receive aid still has a couple weeks to respond, so they hold off on substantive information until then. 

Edited by WinterSolstice

I don't think so. I've tried looking and haven't found any for incoming F 2015 / class of 2017. One should definitely be created though! 

They have a student create it every year. You'll receive an email about it. Today's the may deadline, so probably sometime next week. 

Edited by WinterSolstice

The same ques I want to ask...   :)

Pro I think: short period, supper heavy course emphasis on quant and econ, tint-sized class, intense course structure, two electives on IR course (offset for a lack of pol course)

con: high cost, short period, brand new program which barely has grad to demonstrate its quality...

Anyway, SAIS is my dream school which i would kill myself to get in. already paid the $500 matri fee.

Other schools like Elliot GWU, SIS AU, NYU GSAS IR, IRPS UCSD, their graduates i don't think are in the same weight class with SAIS graduates to compete for high-salary private sector posts

What do you think? Correct me if i am wrong

Hi! I got accepted into the MIEF program as well!

I talked to a lot of people about SAIS and the MIEF program. All of them unanimously agree that SAIS is the best when it comes to job opportunities (WB and IMF being a stone throw away et all) and in terms of networking opportunities. The only bummer is that is that it's a one year course but the credit hours is the same as that as a two year course. So it's a good course choice and a very good university.:)

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm very glad I was accepted at SAIS. I honestly thought I was not going to get in but somehow managed to score a partial scholarship and the possibility to increase that aid next year so the cost will be significantly lower. From what I could see, the education at SAIS is top-notch, very international, and well-known among international policy circles. Having said that, as prestigious as SAIS is, I still feel like I need to pair it with another degree, MBA or Law School, in order to be competitive in the private sector and be able to pay graduate school loans as soon as possible. Here is my background and desired career path I'd like to take. Any thoughts, recommendations would be appreciated. 

I graduated from a big state school (flagship) but not well known nationally. Overall GPA: 3.7/3.8? Majored in political sciences but have a decent math background (I was an engineering major freshman year). I scored on the lower side of the GRE for SAIS students. I have various full-time internships and fellowships across the non-profit (advocacy), government (congress), and private sector (government relations). I've mostly worked in politics and IR. I've been out of undergraduate for about 2 years now. 

Initially I wanted to work for think tanks, non-profits, politics, and other international policy stuff, however, the more I have personally seen that industry the more I want to join the private sector. The people who work in international development, NGOs, and think tanks are some of the smartest and socially conscious people I've met, they're wonderful, but the industry itself leaves much to be desired. Which leads me to the dual degree options at SAIS. 

1) Law School: Very much aligned with my background and initial goals, but I'm afraid a U.S. law degree will limit my possibilities for an international career (I'm from a developing region). I'm no longer interested in public international law (many students are but there are very few jobs available and most are taken by multilingual European students with no law school debt). Private international/corporate law would be my focus, if I go this route. I also really like the law school atmosphere! Dream school is, of course, Yale law. I'm confident I can get into at least Georgetown Law, but will it be worth the time and money on a JD to practice abroad? knowing that in most countries law degrees are undergraduate degrees and, thus, do not carry the 6 figure salaries. Will I be incurring into so much debt that I will have no option but to work for a U.S. firm in NYC? 

2) MBA: Certainly my not aligned with my background! I did not study economics or business, did not do finance or management consulting after undergrad. The only quasi-private sector experience I have is "government relations" (lobbying) for a multinational corporation, I doubt that will count as business related experience to MBA programs. I do have leadership experiences but not the business kind. Pros of MBA: very international/global. I can use an MBA in every corner of the world (well maybe that's not true e.g. North Korea). Salaries are also very solid in most places outside the U.S. I'd be interested in emerging markets, infrastructure projects, energy, and public-private partnerships. Cons: It might move my career into the private sector a little too much. I wouldn't want to work in Wall Street because of the bad reputation finance has had after the great recession and it would look really bad in my resume if I decide to enter public life in 15, 20 years from now (Think Mitt Rommey and private equity; he made tons but that made him pretty much unelectable for the commander in chief position). Also, I haven't visited business schools but I sense the environment from their students is "make money at any cost." Wharton school is my desired option: global, top, strong alumni, and already connected to SAIS. HBS would be a stretch. If I do decide to go this route, I'd probably would have to 1) defer my enrollment at SAIS and 2) get some business related experience. 

3) MPP Oxford. Lastly, although not an MBA nor a law degree, Oxford's MPP seems like another good option to pair a SAIS degree with. 1) Oxford brand 2) Oxford alumni networks. Also, I have seen many Oxford MPP graduates getting jobs at the three big management consulting firms, which is something I'd definitely want. Cons: another policy degree. Since it's a new program it doesn't have a big alumni network. Also, the curriculum doesn't seem academically challenging. Overall, it seems a good finishing school for would-be politicians. It will polish communication, negotiation, and policy skills. And it will give me the Oxford name, which might carry a lot in entering international political circles. 

My desired career path? Ultimately in 20 or 25 years I'd like to enter public life or elected office, but I want to leave my family financially stable before entering public service. A judge who lost to Sonia Sotomayor in a minor election many years ago once told me to have a plan B if public life doesn't work out. He lost and his plan B was to pursue a legal career. Also, in those 20 years I'd like to build a strong personal and professional narrative. I'm still undecided on the best strategy for my goals: SAIS/MBA, SAIS/Law School, or SAIS/OxfordMPP???

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated. 

Thank you! 

Edited by ir393