Thoughts on my GRE scores?

jesbevo

So I just got my scores back yesterday, and I'm not sure what to think. I scored a 166 V, 154 Q, and 5.0 AWA. I'd like to study Biology - Evolution. Are these scores good?? Not so good? I'm getting mixed signals! I know that the quantitative score seems a little low, and I've always sort of struggled with math. What kind of programs would these scores get me into? Should I set my bar low, lol?

I know that the GRE scores aren't the be-all-end-all, but I'd still like your thoughts/experiences on this. :)

Your writing score is great, you will find it to be higher than the averages when you start looking at schools. Your verbal score is good. Your quant score is low, but if you look around at some of the stats pages for the past year or two, then you will see that people have been accepted in with similar scores. I have been accepted to one (and anticipating another one, possibly a third as well) institution with scores very similar to yours. However I spent five years working between graduating undergrad and applying now for PHD programs.

It really just depends on what the rest of your application looks like. What kind of research experience do you have?

Also, make sure you apply to institutions that have similar research interests as you do. Research fit is definitely the most important thing. I spent probably a solid year researching schools and programs. You could have perfect scores and GPA but if your research interests are animal behavior and you apply to a lab that studies Crohn's disease, you will probably not be invited for an interview.

I was in a pretty similar position to you, even a little lower:

V 165

Q 153

A 4.5

Yeah, our Quant score is a little low. But what does the rest of your application look like? If you can round out the rest of your application, these GRE scores shouldn't hold you back. My collage GPA was 3.92, 3.93 in major. I have 3 years of undergrad experience, 3 years experiences as a research technician. I got plenty of interviews, and plenty of offers.

I'd say those GRE scores might hold you back from schools that do a GRE cutoff (they do, even if they say they don't on their website), but plenty of good schools will look past a low Quant if the rest of the application is sound.

Edited by babybird

Ah, well a little background on me, I'm in undergrad  currently and by the time I'm applying I'll have 3 years experience working in an evolution lab at my university (probably no publication from here by this point), and an additional 1.5 years working in a radiology lab (from which it's possible I will have a very small contribution on a paper - though it's not super relevant considering my interests are in Evo Devo and Speciation Genetics). I'll have honors in my major/a bio honors thesis and colloquium presentation based on my current research as well. My GPA is 3.82, though my GPA in my major is 3.62 :/

Do you have suggestions on how to "swing" the lower quantitative score?

Do you have suggestions on how to "swing" the lower quantitative score?

Have you taken a Statistic course in which you did really well? Have you had any hands-on, quantitative analysis practice in any of your research experiences?

If so, address these things in your SoP. That's what my advisor told me to do - show that you can compensate for the lower maths score in other areas.

It was too late for me to retake it if I wanted to make my deadlines this winter, but you could always retake the GRE if that's an option fiscally.