Sending GRE scores?

pickfights

Hi all,

I'm planning on taking the GRE this summer and applying to grad schools fall 2015. i know that when you take the GRE you have the option to send the scores. my question is, can i send scored to a school i have not yet applied to? i really dont want to have to pay the extra $25 just to send scores i could have sent for free. does anyone know how this works, or has been in a similar situation? i could always move my test date back....

It's a good way to avoid paying the fee for sending them out afterwards! I think there's a limit on the number you can send, though; I believe it's six. (Could be mistaken, it's been several months since I took them.)

Edited by Sarochan

Yeah you can send the scores anywhere, even to schools you don't end up applying to. If/when you do apply, the scores get matched up with your application.

I've never heard of this! They just get matched up by my name? So I could conceivably take the test in July, send the scores that day, then apply in Nov/Dec? Thanks for the reply

Yes, they'll match based on your name. How long the schools save the scores varies, but most will save them for a year or so. I took the GRE in Oct 2013 and applied for schools in Dec-January 2014, and my scores were still on file at several places.