Caltech vs UCSD Bioengineering

Dubblebubble898

Hello people! Do you guys have any insight or opinion between these two programs? I am leaning towards academia like professorship and I heard during my visit at Caltech that a lot of professors nowadays came from Caltech (but idk if BioE specifically). But UCSD is a higher ranked school and San Diego has a big biotech industry (but I am probably not going to do industry). Essentially, it's Caltech's big name in general vs. UCSD top ranked BioE program. What do you guys think? Any views would be great!

What is your research fit like between the two schools? Do you fit in at one a great deal more than another?

Honestly, at this level, for academia the name of the school in general might still help getting postdoc/faculty positions, but it's really more about your mentor who is going to be writing letters for the rest of your life. If you have a great fit with a few excellent faculty at one school, that's probably the one for you. Either way, they are both excellent/top-tier programs. For industry, UCSD might have an edge because of the huge biotech industry/network in San Diego (similar situations in the Bay and Boston).   

There are 2 professors at each school where I can really see myself work there.  The research at Caltech seems more exciting and fields I will love to learn more about but am not experienced in yet while UCSD research is more translational (cool to see the application as well) and closer to the research I did in undergrad (and wouldn't mind doing in grad school as well).  I feel Caltech caters towards the academia route, which is what I'm leaning towards; however, I think I will be happier at UCSD (graduate students at UCSD seemed to be happier and I like the more lively campus).  

Any thoughts?

There are 2 professors at each school where I can really see myself work there.  The research at Caltech seems more exciting and fields I will love to learn more about but am not experienced in yet while UCSD research is more translational (cool to see the application as well) and closer to the research I did in undergrad (and wouldn't mind doing in grad school as well).  I feel Caltech caters towards the academia route, which is what I'm leaning towards; however, I think I will be happier at UCSD (graduate students at UCSD seemed to be happier and I like the more lively campus).  

Any thoughts?

I've heard the same thing about Caltech being more theoretical/academia-based instead of being more translational/industry-based. I suppose it boils down to what you want to do with your PhD. Clearly, going to UCSD won't prevent you from doing academia, but if you feel like there's an edge to Caltech then perhaps that might be better for you?

I've heard the same thing about Caltech being more theoretical/academia-based instead of being more translational/industry-based. I suppose it boils down to what you want to do with your PhD. Clearly, going to UCSD won't prevent you from doing academia, but if you feel like there's an edge to Caltech then perhaps that might be better for you?

Thanks for your input!  I was thinking of asking professors about their opinion of Caltech versus UCSD, do you think that would be a good measure of how good a school is in terms of the academia world?  

Btw, congrats on all the acceptances!  Are you leaning towards a specific school so far?

Thanks for your input!  I was thinking of asking professors about their opinion of Caltech versus UCSD, do you think that would be a good measure of how good a school is in terms of the academia world?  

Btw, congrats on all the acceptances!  Are you leaning towards a specific school so far?

I suppose, but idk if profs at one place in particular would have enough feel for both of the programs (unless you're at one of them haha). I guess it's worth a try though!

Thanks! I'm leaning towards living in the bay area so probably Berkeley/UCSF or Stanford. 

I suppose, but idk if profs at one place in particular would have enough feel for both of the programs (unless you're at one of them haha). I guess it's worth a try though!

Thanks! I'm leaning towards living in the bay area so probably Berkeley/UCSF or Stanford. 

I did BioE at Berkeley, so I can answer any questions you have for Berkeley!