Fit VS Community

TheLuckyOne

Hi guys, I'm now choosing between two programs, both in the top 10 to 20 tier. One of them has a much better fit with my academic interests, but I knew instantly during my visit that I wouldn't fit into the culture and people there. I actually left a day early during the visit because I felt very out of place there. The other program is not as prestigious and doesn't have as many resources in my areas of interest, but I genuinely felt welcomed and excited during the visit. With a smaller cohort, the sense of community and support was very strong, and I got an additional fellowship there as well. My heart lies in the second program for sure, but it's also hard to turn down the resources at the first one. I know people all have different reasoning when choosing a program, but I would really appreciate some advice or comments!

For a master's, pick the one with the better community. For a PhD, go to the one that will make you the best scholar and give you the best chance at securing a job, which sounds like the first program from your description.

I think rising_star's post would be true if you were able to be your best scholar at program 1. If you left a day early because you felt so uncomfortable, that is saying something. PhD programs are difficult enough, you really need the social support and a quality of life that will allow you to flourish as a scholar. If you're happy and fulfilled at a program, it'll show in your work. The top 20 program still has resources in your program. And, if you do good work, the resources/opportunities will come. If I were you, and I left a visit because I felt out of place, I wouldn't even be considering that school. Prestige won't make the next six years of your life enjoyable - social support will. And it's not even guaranteed there will be a difference in professional placement (especially if you're not doing solid work at a place you're unhappy with).

Edited by hgp

Setting aside your interactions with other students at program 1, how did you get along with the professors you would want to work with? If you do not believe you would enjoy working with the profs, I would not consider program 1. If you liked the faculty but not the students, that is a tougher call. 

Another consideration is how you liked the potential incoming cohort of students at program 1. If you didn't like the current students, but did like some of the incoming students, I wouldn't write it off. You will spend the most time with other students in your cohort and some of the things that you didn't like might change as new students come into the program. At my program, each of the cohorts seems to have a different vibe/mini-culture. So i'd recommend trying to nail down what you didn't like - and whether that is based on interactions with faculty, a handful of current students, or if you think it is something pervasive that is not going to change.