Dartmouth Earth Sciences

kaypeekay

What is their reputation in the earth sciences field? It is one of the schools I am considering. I really like their program, but have doubts regarding the school and my ability get a job with a masters from their program. I have other options such as UT Austin, but don't know if I would truly benefit more from a small program like Dartmouth's.

It is great that you are weighing such concerns, but, Dartmouth is an Ivy.  Austin is a well know school, too, don't get me wrong, just don't think that Dartmouth's small size will be of hindrance. 

The real question to ask yourself is this:  which will I be able to tolerate more; mild winters but insanely humid summers or mild summers but cold and snowy winters?  

What is their reputation in the earth sciences field? It is one of the schools I am considering. I really like their program, but have doubts regarding the school and my ability get a job with a masters from their program. I have other options such as UT Austin, but don't know if I would truly benefit more from a small program like Dartmouth's.

What kind of job are you aiming for after completing the MS?

To elaborate, if you want to go oil and gas, then UT Austin is almost certainly more connected.

But nobody here is likely to be an expert on Dartmouth student outcomes vs UT Austin student outcomes. If I were you, I would do some LinkedIn searches and see what recent grads of the program are up to. Some programs have alumni results on their webpage but I couldn't find that for Dartmouth.

Also, I should add that while reputation is fine and dandy, it's not the be-all and end-all. It is probably more important to compare factors such as research fit, POI fit, and funding before deciding on a school. 

Hi, thanks for all of the responses. I plan to probably go into consulting or some sort job in the environmental industry. O+G is also a possibility too, have to get my masters first though!