Anyone else leaving their jobs for school? How do I let them know I'm leaving?

Hi all

So I applied to my one school and got in for 2 year MSW (Columbia) starting Fall 2015. I've been working at this nonprofit agency for close to a year now and intend on staying basically up until I leave for school in August/September. My former supervisor (who wrote one of my LORs) has now moved on to another role in the agency and now I have another (great) supervisor, who didn't really know of my plans to go back to school. (I didn't think I would be necessarily going back this year either, but it worked out and I feel like it's the right time to do it.)

My question is - how do I go about letting my new supervisor know about my acceptance and my plans to go back to school? I'm the youngest person working at the agency so no one would hold it against me to leave and pursue my MSW, but I want to do it as tactfully as possible. I don't want to make things awkward because I LOVE working at this agency, and love the people there, but I know I need to pursue the MSW to really be able to get deeper into the field, continue my education, do what I ultimately want to do, get my LICSW, etc.

I know most people give "2 weeks notice" when leaving a job on any other terms, but obviously that probably wouldn't fly in this case and want to give them more notice - but I would also still be working there for another 5 or so months after telling my supervisor that I'll be leaving in the fall. Is that weird? SO, do I tell them now? Do I wait for a few more weeks? Do I give them like 2 months notice? 1 month? Maybe I'm over thinking it (after all people leave jobs all the time, especially in the human services field with its high turnover….) 

Any input would be appreciated!!

I wouldn't give more than 4 weeks notice, unless you have a good reason to think they won't be able to replace you in that time or something like that. Telling your supervisor now doesn't seem necessary. It's probably unlikely to happen, but there's some chance that your employer would fire you when you give notice (so they could fire you for saying you're leaving in five months and leave you without a job until you start school). Otherwise, just be mindful of the fact that you're planning to leave; don't take on any new roles or responsibilities that will make it harder for someone else to fill your role. You might let some of your coworkers know, if you have a good relationship with them. 

As for how you tell your supervisor, doing it in writing is generally a good idea. You don't want to have any confusion about what your last day will be, and if you have it in an email, that helps. If you're hoping to possibly keep working with them during summers or after you graduate, you could mention that, although it's hard to say how that suggestion would be received. 

You're over thinking it. You leave this job like you would leave any other job. I think a standard 2 week notice is fine, but if you want to give a 3-4 week notice because a larger transition time is needed then that seems fine too. I wouldn't give too far advance notice because there is a possibility they will go ahead and replace you leaving you unemployed. I also wouldn't tell coworkers as it might get back to your manager and that information really should come first-hand from you and she should be the first to know.

Congrats on the acceptance!

First off, congrats on Columbia!!!!!

I think a 4 week notice is best. I know most jobs require 2 weeks but this is social services! They are probably going to need time to transition your caseload. I'm in a similar situation and I'm already trying to keep my paperwork in order. I actually like my supervisors lol so I don't want to leave them with a mess.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone :) and thank you also for all your insight, it's definitely giving me a better idea on what to do!!

I wouldn't give more than 4 weeks notice, unless you have a good reason to think they won't be able to replace you in that time or something like that. Telling your supervisor now doesn't seem necessary. It's probably unlikely to happen, but there's some chance that your employer would fire you when you give notice (so they could fire you for saying you're leaving in five months and leave you without a job until you start school). Otherwise, just be mindful of the fact that you're planning to leave; don't take on any new roles or responsibilities that will make it harder for someone else to fill your role. You might let some of your coworkers know, if you have a good relationship with them. 

As for how you tell your supervisor, doing it in writing is generally a good idea. You don't want to have any confusion about what your last day will be, and if you have it in an email, that helps. If you're hoping to possibly keep working with them during summers or after you graduate, you could mention that, although it's hard to say how that suggestion would be received. 

You're over thinking it. You leave this job like you would leave any other job. I think a standard 2 week notice is fine, but if you want to give a 3-4 week notice because a larger transition time is needed then that seems fine too. I wouldn't give too far advance notice because there is a possibility they will go ahead and replace you leaving you unemployed. I also wouldn't tell coworkers as it might get back to your manager and that information really should come first-hand from you and she should be the first to know.

Congrats on the acceptance!

First off, congrats on Columbia!!!!!

I think a 4 week notice is best. I know most jobs require 2 weeks but this is social services! They are probably going to need time to transition your caseload. I'm in a similar situation and I'm already trying to keep my paperwork in order. I actually like my supervisors lol so I don't want to leave them with a mess.

Good luck!

At this point, only my 1 closest coworker knows my situation and I think it'll stay like that based on your responses. I wouldn't want word getting around to my supervisor/etc. before I've had a chance to tell them myself.

You've all definitely convinced me to stick to the typical 2-to-4 week notice schedule - while I would HOPE that they wouldn't go ahead and replace me before I left, I still wouldn't want to risk it. I'm probably going to err on the side of 4 weeks, but that's something I can figure out when the time comes closer. Like you @justwannagetin, I really like the people I work with including my supervisor and its like a little work family so I don't like keeping this from them, but at the same time I have to remember my supervisor is my supervisor and they probably have duties to report to HR or whatever. So keeping things in order and basically getting all my projects done before I plan on leaving will be top priority. 

I think what I'm a little worried about is if my former supervisor asks me how my apps went (as she did one of my LORs) - what do I tell her? If I tell her I got in to Columbia, then word may make it back to my current supervisor, which I want to avoid. But I also don't want to lie to her. Hopefully she'll be too busy in her current role to think about it (lol). I guess I could always say that I'm considering my options but haven't decided on anything concrete...

Again, I know I'm overthinking it. I just want to leave on good terms - this is the first job I've had to leave that didn't have a defined "ending point" (i.e. I did undergrad internships that lasted for the year/semester, worked at an on campus job that I obviously had to leave when I graduated, etc) And who knows, I'd like to keep the option of returning to the organization open.

I think since your former supervisor wrote you a recommendation letter then I'd tell her if she asks about it. I would also mention you haven't told your current supervisor yet so if she could not share that information you would appreciate it. I think she will understand why you need some discretion.

I think giving the 4 week notice, telling your supervisor in person when the time comes, and writing a nice resignation letter thanking them for the opportunity will be all you need to do to leave on good terms.

Also, if your current supervisor asks why you didn't let her know as soon as you accepted an offer for grad school, then I would just say something like you wanted to make sure everything was going to fall in place like financial aid and until you were positive you would be attending you didn't want to say anything. It's a reasonable way to explain the gap in notification, but I think it's unlikely she will ask.

Edited by louise86

I'm in a similar boat but my non-profit is really small and my job is going to be really strange to transition. I'm personally telling my boss as soon as I make my choice. If I stay nearby he will drop me to part-time.

I have numerous projects I need to transition out of, and he wants me to be a part of the hiring process for the person who comes in behind me. I'm very close with my boss and when I started the application a year ago I asked him flat out how he preferred I handle it, and this was his preferred response. However, I am promised job security until I move on. I'll be leaving at a time my office gets crazy busy- so being able to prepare the office for the transition ahead of time saves A LOT of stress.

I agree with the formally mentioned- ask your former supervisor who wrote you a recommendation letter.