Penn Fall 2015

ceapa421

I don't think there's a thread yet for us -

Who has been accepted to Penn for the fall? And who is going??

I'm currently debating between Mich and Penn and my preference changes every day.  I live near Penn though and I think it will be a great fit.

Why are YOU choosing Penn? 

Good question! I am accepted at Penn. I'm waiting on a few other schools before I make the big decision. I was so happy to receive the Penn acceptance and it is definitely on my shortlist  :)

Have you visited or sat in on classes at either Mich or Penn? Have you talked to current students and alum from either school?

While Penn doesn't have the exact program I thought I wanted, they have another really interesting program for MSW that is unique and I have always loved everything about the school, from communicating to admissions people to the fact that they required an interview- it felt like they really wanted to know me. I briefly visited a friend in Philly last summer and quickly fell in love with the diversity of the city- it seemed familiar to me as a Bostonian but more integrated (though I could be wrong, I was there a few days). I am going this Saturday to the open house, which conflicted with Columbia's open house but Columbia offers some other dates and I really wanted to see Penn. I think Penn has an edge over Columbia- I'm a bit worried that NYC living could stress me out.

Also, still waiting on more information from Michigan and I think Mich and Penn will be my top 2 as well. I'm holding off on visiting Mich for right now. There are a lot of great things about Mich and as a Big Ten alum, I'd love to go back to an awesome college town with a vibrant campus life and its SSW offers so much. Looks like we are all in very fortunate positions to be deciding among these great MSW programs!

@lemonlime - I visited Ann Arbor but the only time I could go was their spring break - which I  didn't realize til after I booked.  I got to walk around campus a lot and meet a few current students of the program.  I live very close to Penn's campus and living here have been able to get connected to a lot of friends of friends who are currently in SP2 or alumni, so I've gotten coffee with a few people. I'm also going to their open house this Saturday.  Definitely helps talking to people!!

@MissyTee - you are so right.  I keep lamenting what a 'tough decision' this is but we're lucky we're in a position to be making this decision!!  I'm also going to the open house this Saturday!  I'm looking forward to it.  Living so close to Penn, I feel like I haven't done the proper visit/tour yet, so I think this will be good.  I visited Ann Arbor and fell in love with the city, but I was really holding out for a fellowship that would involve classes and field work in Detroit, which didn't work out.  I think Penn has many more field placement opportunities.  I do like how you can really personalize your MSW at Mich, but sometimes a lot of options is almost too much, and maybe the binary at Penn is better - and I also like the fact you have two field placements and can take classes in other schools.  Financial aid between the two was pretty comparable, though I did get a little bit more from Penn.  So we'll see!  Good luck with your decision! Maybe meet you in the fall :)

I got into Penn but into the 2 year full-time program because of that I probably won't go there. The other schools i've been accepted to I recieved 1 year advanced standing. While Penn has a strong program and was on my shortlist doubling my tuition and spending an extra year out of the job market is simply not worth it for me. I asked them to reconsider it but I am not too hopeful. 

@MissyTee and @ceapa421: Have fun at the Open House! I think I am going to attend the in-person open house in April. I would also like to sit in on a class and meet current students. I have never been to Philly so I am eager to explore the city! 

@ceapa421: Feel free to PM me regarding my experiences sitting in on classes and chatting with current students at U Mich!

I paid my deposit to Penn yesterday so it's official!! Looking forward to meeting whomever will be joining me in the fall.  It seems like a personable environment dedicated to fostering and inspiring each individual person in the program. 

I'm happy to answer any questions or address any concerns for people who are considering.  I also live in Philly already and can answer questions about the city!

Has anyone gotten a financial aid letter from Penn yet? The only thing I've seen i the scholarship in my admissions letter- but no other talk of loans I qualify for. If not, does anyone know when we can expect to get one? Thanks!

I don't think Penn sends out official loan information until after April 15th. The financial aid director can provide you with what you can expect the official loan information to look like though. I'd recommend contacting them!