University of Washington (Seattle)

merrell

Congratulations! I'm all the way across the country, so I won't get to visit before I officially accept. I'm still waiting on my funding info, which is a pain. I'm very excited to make the big East Coast- West Coast move.

Chemistry here. Our funding info was incorporated into the acceptance letter. Fall in love with university when they arrange open house visit all paid for - I am a simple man. When is everyone going to look for housing for the fall quarter?

Edited by emardiansy

Chemistry here. Our funding info was incorporated into the acceptance letter. Fall in love with university when they arrange open house visit all paid for - I am a simple man. When is everyone going to look for housing for the fall quarter?

I live in Seattle, but I'm in the process of purchasing a condo or townhouse, two beds two baths. Biking distance from UW, not positive which neighborhood yet, but most likely Greenwood or Sand Point (near Magnusson Park, off the Burke-Gilman trail). I'll be looking for a roommate, $800/month most likely, but will see if I can go cheaper depending on the price of the house (that is relatively standard rent for Seattle though). If anyone is interested please PM me and I can give you more details when I buy a place.

I live in Seattle, but I'm in the process of purchasing a condo or townhouse, two beds two baths. Biking distance from UW, not positive which neighborhood yet, but most likely Greenwood or Sand Point (near Magnusson Park, off the Burke-Gilman trail). I'll be looking for a roommate, $800/month most likely, but will see if I can go cheaper depending on the price of the house (that is relatively standard rent for Seattle though). If anyone is interested please PM me and I can give you more details when I buy a place.

My understanding is that the fall quarter starts on 30 September right? Is it normal to worry about place to live now? I am just wondering when I should start to actively look for a place.

I was offered about 23k + health insurance at UW CSE, which doesn't seem like much in Seattle. Anyone have any insight?

I was told by a current graduate student who spend $1200 on grad apartment that he still managed to save money on that 2k-ish stipend a month.

Edited by emardiansy

My understanding is that the fall quarter starts on 30 September right? Is it normal to worry about place to live now? I am just wondering when I should start to actively look for a place.

It's pretty early to look for housing now. I suppose it depends on where you want to live and what kind of apartment you're looking to find. Last year when I was looking for apartments, you basically had to pay a down payment the moment you found something you wanted because if you didn't, someone else would. It wouldn't be a bad idea to familiarize yourself with the neighborhoods now and even check out some places if you don't live too far away. In any case, it's unlikely that you'll find something for the beginning of October in March.

There are almost always places available to rent in Seattle, and honestly if you look now (unless it's something like an arrangement with another grad student who already lives here, like me) the listing you're looking at probably won't still be available in the fall, but it can't hurt to look and get an idea of what neighborhoods generally cost what amount.

When I buy a place I'll post the neighborhood and exact rent but my only real requirements for a roommate (putting this out there for anyone) is that he or she is generally quiet between 10:30 PM and 6:30 AM and is OK with keeping the lights in the common rooms off during that time. 

I will be entering in the fall for the MPA program. I went to visit in November for the program's open house and very luckily had clear skies the whole time I was there. I ended up loving it! But I wonder if that will change when I experience the rain there haha.

Activities for my program start the week of Sept 15, so I am thinking of moving up by the beginning of September. Do any of you know how difficult it is to find a place to live before actually moving there?

I will be entering in the fall for the MPA program. I went to visit in November for the program's open house and very luckily had clear skies the whole time I was there. I ended up loving it! But I wonder if that will change when I experience the rain there haha.

Activities for my program start the week of Sept 15, so I am thinking of moving up by the beginning of September. Do any of you know how difficult it is to find a place to live before actually moving there?

We've spoken, so you already know I'll be there, too! Are you planning on going to the Admitted Student's Day?

I think the experience of finding an apartment here varies for people. Have you done any research into the neighborhoods? I looked at somewhere between 12-15 over the span of three days when I moved here and liked 2 of them enough to move in. However, during my search, on several occasions someone put down a payment or signed a lease before I was able to commit to anything. Luckily, this only happened at apartments I didn't really want, but when I found my current one, I signed for it within one hour of seeing it.

I get the feeling this happens a fair amount here. If you find an apartment you like, you kind of just have to jump at it. Depending on your price range and location, this could happen in a day or, if you are extremely picky, up to a month. My advice would to plan on spending at least a few days looking at places before you settle on one. Though, it sounds like you are going to put a down payment on one without visiting it? If that's the case, do your research online (Craigslist seems best) and find something that looks trustworthy. I wouldn't do it that way, but if you don't have a place to stay here before finding an apartment, I could see how you might have no other choice.

We've spoken, so you already know I'll be there, too! Are you planning on going to the Admitted Student's Day?

I think the experience of finding an apartment here varies for people. Have you done any research into the neighborhoods? I looked at somewhere between 12-15 over the span of three days when I moved here and liked 2 of them enough to move in. However, during my search, on several occasions someone put down a payment or signed a lease before I was able to commit to anything. Luckily, this only happened at apartments I didn't really want, but when I found my current one, I signed for it within one hour of seeing it.

I get the feeling this happens a fair amount here. If you find an apartment you like, you kind of just have to jump at it. Depending on your price range and location, this could happen in a day or, if you are extremely picky, up to a month. My advice would to plan on spending at least a few days looking at places before you settle on one. Though, it sounds like you are going to put a down payment on one without visiting it? If that's the case, do your research online (Craigslist seems best) and find something that looks trustworthy. I wouldn't do it that way, but if you don't have a place to stay here before finding an apartment, I could see how you might have no other choice.

Hey Nocho.. Yeah, I remember speaking with you! I actually won't be able to make it to Admitted Students Day, unfortunately.. Let me know how it goes though if you go!

I've been considering Greenlake/Ravenna and possibly the U District. Looking for roommate(s) since my ideal budget is $700/mo or less. I'll try my luck at finding a place beforehand, which worked for my friend currently attending UW.. He was saying that his program had a facebook page for incoming students where he was able to find roommates from there, but I'm not sure if the Evans School will have that.

If anything, I can probably stay with him while I search for somewhere to live - hopefully I can get that sorted out before the program starts!

Hey Nocho.. Yeah, I remember speaking with you! I actually won't be able to make it to Admitted Students Day, unfortunately.. Let me know how it goes though if you go!

I've been considering Greenlake/Ravenna and possibly the U District. Looking for roommate(s) since my ideal budget is $700/mo or less. I'll try my luck at finding a place beforehand, which worked for my friend currently attending UW.. He was saying that his program had a facebook page for incoming students where he was able to find roommates from there, but I'm not sure if the Evans School will have that.

If anything, I can probably stay with him while I search for somewhere to live - hopefully I can get that sorted out before the program starts!

I'll be at the second Admitted Students Day. Hoping to find more information about assistantships and funding the program. After running through some (worst case scenario) numbers, I realized Evans is going to be a little bit pricier than I was expecting. It's mostly the cost of living that's killer.

I forgot to mention there is a Facebook page for housing. It's a UW-wide page, not just Evans. The link is here, and it looks like it's updated very often with postings. I don't think you're going to have any trouble finding anything. $700 should be fine for those areas. I pay $750, which is definitely reasonable for where I live. The Green Lake and Wallingford areas are great. I haven't spent much time in Ravenna, but it looks like you know what you're looking for, so you'll be fine.

I'll be at the second Admitted Students Day. Hoping to find more information about assistantships and funding the program. After running through some (worst case scenario) numbers, I realized Evans is going to be a little bit pricier than I was expecting. It's mostly the cost of living that's killer.

I forgot to mention there is a Facebook page for housing. It's a UW-wide page, not just Evans. The link is here, and it looks like it's updated very often with postings. I don't think you're going to have any trouble finding anything. $700 should be fine for those areas. I pay $750, which is definitely reasonable for where I live. The Green Lake and Wallingford areas are great. I haven't spent much time in Ravenna, but it looks like you know what you're looking for, so you'll be fine.

Thanks for sharing the link to the facebook group.. Looks like it might really come in handy!

Going for the MPA program, so Nocho and Glitter I guess I'll be seeing you there! Is anybody looking at any of the graduate housing options like Mercer, Nordheim, or Stevens?

Going for the MPA program, so Nocho and Glitter I guess I'll be seeing you there! Is anybody looking at any of the graduate housing options like Mercer, Nordheim, or Stevens?

I'm looking at Stevens court, as apartment hunting from the other side of the country would be difficult.  I've made my housing deposit and will do apartment selection this Thursday.

Edited by hcho3

I just put an offer on a 2 bed, 1 1/2 bath in Queen Anne (extremely nice neighborhood), will be looking for a roommate for $800-900/month depending on the closing price if I get this one. Easy bus or bike ride to UW.

Hey guys, here's my listing for my place: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/roo/4962551698.html

If aynone's interested let me know! I'll be chatting with some potential roommates over the next month or so and seeing who is probably the best fit. I'd prefer someone around June but if you're not here until September and are interested, feel free to still reach out. PM or response to the craigslist ad is best.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Huskies. I will be joining for my Masters in Environmental and Forest Sciences. The stipend is $2100-ish and I was wondering whether it'd be possible to completely sustain myself on that (do not want to take any financial assistance from parents) in an expensive city like Seattle. As an international student, I could not really visit the campus and city beforehand. So if I were to come to Seattle in September, would there be any affordable places left (<$700-650)? Thank you. I am already stoked as Seattle looks like a brilliant, liberal city!