Fall 2015 Decision Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Going to try to revitalize this thread! I made my final decision today: MGH-IHP. Here's how my decision process went: I was accepted to 8 out of 10 schools. Three of them offered me a scholarship: MGH, University of Rhode Island, and University of New Hampshire. Worcester State was cheaper than those even without a scholarship. So I threw out the four most expensive (Northeastern, University of Vermont, University of Connecticut, and Southern Connecticut). I visited Worcester State and did not like the attitude of the director, and I decided to throw out UNH since URI was cheaper and closer. I really liked URI when I visited - everyone was friendly and it seemed very supportive. But I visited MGH today and was so impressed - it is just a higher quality program with more opportunities and felt much more organized than URI, and I like the location better. I felt that it would be worth the extra $20K it's going to cost me. 

So, that's my decision. Very happy I made it this early and this easily. Anyone else?  :)

I've decided to go to the University of Wisconsin-Madison! :D

For me it was between UW-Madison and the University of Kansas, where I go now. I visited Madison two weeks ago (my first time in Wisconsin) and it was very clear that Madison is a perfect fit for me. The clinical opportunities, the faculty, the French language community – I could go on and on about why, but I don't know how interesting that'd be so I'll stop there (I'm happy to give more info if asked, though!). It's not cheap, especially compared to staying in-state at KU, but a big reason I went in-state for undergrad was so that I could go elsewhere for grad school. Moving 8 hours away is pretty terrifying, but I think it will be a wonderful adventure! I'm SO excited, honestly I can't stop thinking about it. 

For others posting their decisions, what was the deciding factor(s) for you? Mind saying whether you're moving and how far away?

I narrowed my choices to Emerson and MGH, and today made the final decision to go with Emerson!

It ended up being about fit and feel. I never felt anything less than welcomed at Emerson, I am excited about their pediatric opportunities, their small class sizes (cohort of 40 split into two groups) is appealing to me, I'll have research opportunities but a solid clinical education, and it's right in the middle of Boston. It's about four hours from where I am now (in undergrad in NY) but I'm originally from the west coast to I'm still far from 'home', whatever that means. MGH had some very impressive things, but I found the students somewhat awkward and burnt-out seeming, the faculty seemed "removed" from students rather than treating them as future colleagues, and I found the Navy Yard more inaccessible than Emerson's location (which seems small, but when there's feet upon feet of snow on the ground, it adds up and becomes a serious quality of life factor imo). MGH cost would've been about 10k less than Emerson (factoring in the funding both offered), so that goes to show how impressed I was with Emerson!

I'm SO excited/relived, and excited to hear about other people making their decisions!

For others posting their decisions, what was the deciding factor(s) for you? Mind saying whether you're moving and how far away?

I already touched on my deciding factors, but yup, I'll be moving. Not very far at all - I'm living in Rhode Island for undergrad right now and my family is from southeastern Mass, but I'll be getting an apartment in/around Boston. Not nearly as exciting as your 8 hour move but still overwhelming for me to move to the city!

I am going to the University of New Mexico! Moving from Minnesota(where I have lived my whole life) Really looking forward to the adventure :) one of the biggest factors was a bilingual program which UNM has and I was also offered funding there. Since it was already my top choice and is going to cost me almost nothing I had an easy decision!!

Scisl006- I moved to New Mexico from Minnesota in January! I attend Eastern New Mexico University's program. Congratulations and good luck! New Mexico is definitely a big change :)