Boston University

trilobyte

Hello everyone,

long time reader, first time poster.  First congrats to everyone who has been accepted this year!  I will be attending BU in the fall in Earth and Environment and was wondering if anyone else applied up there.  Also if anyone can give some insight into the city as I have never stepped foot into the city.  Just an idea of what grad student life is like up there and how people enjoy it.  It would be much appreciated!

Looking forward to hear about where people are going in the fall!

Thanks

You might have better luck in the Meet and Greet subforum. For an idea about living and working in Boston, take a look int he City Guide subforum. The river is slowly melting, so Spring might get here by the time your term starts in September. Which campus will you be working out of (eg I know some environmental science types work out of the medical campus in the South End)?

Edited by Usmivka

I believe that I am going to be working out of the College of Arts and Sciences on the South Campus, but again, I have never been there. (Which I am slightly embarrassed about since I am from the North East).  The whole city is new to me and I just received my acceptance last week.  I will give it a shot in the other forum.  I see you are out of Boston, where are you?

I believe that I am going to be working out of the College of Arts and Sciences on the South Campus, but again, I have never been there. (Which I am slightly embarrassed about since I am from the North East).  The whole city is new to me and I just received my acceptance last week.  I will give it a shot in the other forum.  I see you are out of Boston, where are you?

BU has two campuses--Arts and Sciences is at the northernmost, Charles River campus. It looks to me like that is where most BU E&E faculty have their labs and offices.

I live in Jamaica Plain. I like it better than the areas immediately around BU, but I think it would be kind of a pain to get to there. Brighton within walking distance to the B line might be an acceptable place to start your housing hunt. Good luck.

You'll prob get better info on the meet and greet, but I went to undergrad at BU.  I LOVED it.  The city is great, albeit expensive, but same for any big city.  When I lived off campus, I lived in Brighton.  Rent seems to be a little more managable in Brighton and Allston.  Both these areas are within walking distance to the Charles River campus.  Congrats!  You will love Boston.