BSW 2015 Applications!

swgirl23

Hi guys!

I couldn't really find any forums related to BSW applications for the 2015 cycles. I thought I'd start this as a place to discuss. I am personally going to be applying following my undergraduate degree for the BSW program, as I think this is the more appropriate route for me to take than applying directly to an MSW. I'm 21, and will be graduating with a degree in Sociology from UBC. Please feel free to introduce yourself, I'd really like to get to know some people who are going through this process at the same time :) 

swgirl23, do you know of "College Confidential"? (http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/) That site is not just a grad student forum, but for everything college, with heavy focus on undergrad, which is the type of major a BSW is. May I ask why you feel going for a BSW despite already having a bachelor's degree is a better option than going straight for an MSW? In my opinion, doing that will result in you taking many introductory courses in a broad range of disciplines all over again rather than simply focusing on the field you want to go into. It is not necessary to have a BSW in order to get into an MSW program (I got into a few MSW programs with only a BA in Psychology, and I am also 21 years old now), so I think it may be a more efficient option to simply go for an MSW program since you already have a bachelor's degree.

I'm applying for both BSW & MSW programs this time around. I see you're in Canada too, hello! I chose to apply to BSWs as well as MSWs because I know I have lower chances of getting into the MSWs without more work experience, and because my degree is in history & gender studies. There are a few options if you don't want to do a whole 'nother degree again - I applied for the two one-year programs I could find (Lakehead in Thunder Bay [though they offer it at their Orillia campus too!] and St. Thomas in Fredericton New Brunswick). There are also two-year and three-year BSWs out there. Off the top of my head: York is two years, I believe UBCs is two years, Dalhousie is three. So lots of options if you don't want to do a whole separate degree but go into the "post-degree" direction.

@adacot - most of the programs in Canada seem to want a BSW or at least two years full-time experience (1700 - 3000+ hours!!) which I don't think is necessarily the same in the states?

Hi adacot - 
I think magfish just took the words right out of my mouth! I, too, was concerned about the amount of experience I have and do not think I would have been offered admission into an MSW program. Time doesn't concern me too much (I know - a silly thing to say and some may be appalled by this - but I have no issue being in a BSW program for two years and maybe, eventually, applying to an MSW program). Also, adacot, no I have not heard of that site before but thank you so much for sharing :) I will be sure to check it out. I am interested in hearing from both MSW and BSW applications, and I think many people on this site are applying to both types of programs! Magfish, thanks so much for sharing that info about BSW programs! Do you have a preferred school out of the ones you applied to? Also, is there a specific type of social work you plan to pursue?

Magfish, thanks so much for sharing that info about BSW programs! Do you have a preferred school out of the ones you applied to? Also, is there a specific type of social work you plan to pursue?

Out of all of my programs - U of T's two year master is my first choice. I could live at home, spend more time with my partner (U of T law), and I like the research components.

Of the BSWs, St. Thomas is my current first choice - though that may change. Although it's 15 months and a little annoying (Sept 15 - Dec 16, couldn't apply directly to an MSW - but a forced 8 month break may be nice), I like a lot of things about it. I'd rather be out East than in Thunder Bay. Plus I love St. Thomas's structural/post structuralist, less clinical and more social "justice" based approaches.

Ideally I want to go into community organising / activism, I'd love to work with LGBTQ youth or victims of domestic violence / sexual assault.

I feel like I am in the minority of not wanting to do exclusively clinical work (I have some experience doing intake at a foodbank, I like it but don't see myself doing it every year for the rest of my life) but I still think social work is where I most want to be!

Out of all of my programs - U of T's two year master is my first choice. I could live at home, spend more time with my partner (U of T law), and I like the research components.

Of the BSWs, St. Thomas is my current first choice - though that may change. Although it's 15 months and a little annoying (Sept 15 - Dec 16, couldn't apply directly to an MSW - but a forced 8 month break may be nice), I like a lot of things about it. I'd rather be out East than in Thunder Bay. Plus I love St. Thomas's structural/post structuralist, less clinical and more social "justice" based approaches.

Ideally I want to go into community organising / activism, I'd love to work with LGBTQ youth or victims of domestic violence / sexual assault.

I feel like I am in the minority of not wanting to do exclusively clinical work (I have some experience doing intake at a foodbank, I like it but don't see myself doing it every year for the rest of my life) but I still think social work is where I most want to be!

I like the idea of a less clinical based approach as well! Congratulations on getting into Lakehead, by the way! Fingers crossed for the rest you've applied to :) 

What did you do your undergrad in? (If you don't mind me asking) 

I like the idea of a less clinical based approach as well! Congratulations on getting into Lakehead, by the way! Fingers crossed for the rest you've applied to :) 

What did you do your undergrad in? (If you don't mind me asking) 

How clinical a program is is definitely worth considering if you have an idea of what you want to do after you graduate! Didn't realize how important it was till I started looking into programs. Not to say you won't be able to do certain things if your degree is more / less clinical, but if my degree is training me for future work then I want to be trained in stuff that matters to me.

Thanks so much! It was a really exciting surprise. It's not my first choice (quite far away from my family & partner, I would have to turn down my summer job) but it's nice to know I've gotten in somewhere at least, and it would be awesome to get my BSW in 12 months.

I'm currently finishing up my undergrad in history with a minor in gender studies and a certificate in sexual diversity at Queen's! History is going to be one of the problems with my application, it's not technically a 'social science' but it's in the 'humanities' category, which means I'm worried it won't be seen as relevant or related enough. But I made sure to talk about it in my application and how I take courses in social history and have supplemented my learning with gender studies courses as well. If you're worried about your first degree I would look into trying to take a related class or two (an online intro to social work class maybe).

For St. Thomas's post-degree BSW:

I emailed St. Thomas just to inquire about a timeline for admissions decisions as they said in my phone interview we would hopefully hear by the "end of March". I emailed Becky the Administrative Coordinator because she's who I had been in contact with about other things (interviews).

"Admissions will be processing the letters to applicants very shortly. I would guess that letters will go out in the mail by the end of the week. Once they are processed in their system, you can check on the connect website, or you can always check with Admissions to see if they will give you an answer."

So it sounds like we'll hear from St. Thomas hopefully by the end of the week!!! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Magfish, that's very exciting news :) Sorry to have taken so long to reply to your earlier post, it's been a busy week (for all of us, I'm sure!). A 12 month BSW sounds so incredibly appealing! I didn't even know they existed, really, but I'm not looking at BSW programs particularly far from me, all of which seem to be 2 years. I actually got my acceptance to the University of Victoria's BSW program last Wednesday (which was the only one I applied to) so I'm quite pleased!

I don't think schools look *too much* at the major you were pursuing prior to applying to social work programs, although I'm sure they'd like some relevant courses to have been taken. My friend's sister was in Biology prior to applying and got into both a BSW and now MSW at UBC so this is what I'm basing my assumption on :P I think my first degree (Sociology) is quite relevant, and I've taken both introductory social work courses that seem to be required for applying to most BSWs! They were very interesting - definitely what deepened my interest in pursuing an education in Social Work (and career!). 

I have heard great things about Queen's and kind of wish I had done my undergrad there! Seems like such a tight-knit community! 

Edited by swgirl23

Also, if anybody happens to be lurking and has received their offer of admission from UVic (in the mail) recently, please let me know if your online status has been updated yet! I keep checking back but it still says "File Forwarded to Department".

Has anybody applied to the Fall 2015 Advanced Standing program at University of South Florida and if so have you heard anything in regards to being accepted or denied? The anticipation and suspense is killing me! 

I just got accepted into a BSW program, but I am transferring from a community college and this is my first degree. I will finish this in 2 years, then apply for a Master's.

Has anybody applied to the Fall 2015 Advanced Standing program at University of South Florida and if so have you heard anything in regards to being accepted or denied? The anticipation and suspense is killing me!

I was accepted in February into USF advanced standing program. It takes a while, but it'll come. They will send a very vague email once you are accepted. Edited by tlove11

Hi everyone!

Happy to have found this discussion- I'm Rachael, and I've just been accepted to the post-degree BSW at St.Thomas.  I'm also interested in Dalhousie, but haven't heard back from them yet.  Magfish, I 've read your posts in the MSW forum, and I'm pretty sure we were in the same interview for St. Thomas- congratulations on getting in to the two schools!  I also applied to Lakehead but was rejected.  

Hi everyone!

Happy to have found this discussion- I'm Rachael, and I've just been accepted to the post-degree BSW at St.Thomas.  I'm also interested in Dalhousie, but haven't heard back from them yet.  Magfish, I 've read your posts in the MSW forum, and I'm pretty sure we were in the same interview for St. Thomas- congratulations on getting in to the two schools!  I also applied to Lakehead but was rejected.  

Hi Rachel!! 

What a coincidence! I was wondering if I was going to run into people from my interview and if everyone got in. So weird when you only have a phone interview but it's great to hear that you got in as well. 

Thank you! Congratulations on getting into St. Thomas - and I hope you hear good news from Dal as well! St. Thomas is very much my first choice at the moment and I'm getting pretty excited for the program. Maybe I'll see you there! :)

Yeah, I am in the process of making a pro and con list between the two; St. Thomas seems like a unique program and I really like their politicized approach.  But when I look at the course descriptions of the different schools they look really similar, so I'm not sure!  Why is St. Thomas your first choice? 

Yeah, I am in the process of making a pro and con list between the two; St. Thomas seems like a unique program and I really like their politicized approach.  But when I look at the course descriptions of the different schools they look really similar, so I'm not sure!  Why is St. Thomas your first choice? 

Okay, bear in mind I haven't looked at Dal so I don't know, they could be similar. But from my understanding, St. Thomas is one of the few structuralist social work programs in North America. I'm coming from a background in history and gender studies and a whole lifetime of community organizations (literally - parents co-founded the alzheimers society in our area and I have been involved since day 1, have just spent the past year as the assistant director of a sexual health resource centre, etc) and that's what I know I want to do.

Me related stuff: I  know that while I can handle small towns, having the option of getting to a big city is important for me - this kind of rules out Lakehead immediately, the closest actual "city" is Winnipeg, at 8 or so hours drive, whereas from Fredericton I can get to Halifax in four. Fredericton also sounds like a great town - it's a capital city but friends say it's also very much a "university town", which I'm used to and I like. It sounds like they have some neat things going on night-life wise even for a small city, and it looks gorgeous. Cost of living between the two is very comparable, with rent prices around the same, flights around the same. The only difference is that Lakehead's tuition is $13000 and St. Thomas is $8200. So even though St. Thomas is three months longer, I'll still save a few thousand dollars going that route, plus have eight months to work for a bit between St. Thomas and (if I choose to do) a Masters program. 

Even just looking at the course listing for Stu, I can tell I'd enjoy it. I'm looking here http://w3.stu.ca/stu/academic/social_work/courses/default.aspxand at last years student handbook here http://w3.stu.ca/stu/academic/social_work/schedule/documents/20142015StudentHandbook.pdf (page 10). Honestly, one of the things I really like is the opportunity to take electives (you get two at Stu and only one at Lakehead) and their elective offerings look like they could be really great. Mostly, I think I'd enjoy anywhere, Lakehead does look like it has some neat courses but there are a couple things, you know? Like, at Lakehead I'd have to take another research methods course focused on social work, at St. Thomas I don't have to do that and instead get to take a global policy class instead of just Canadian policy. Lakehead has a mandatory Indigenous studies course, but at St. Thomas I could choose to take one or take something else if it interested me more. 

Courses at Stu that stand out to me even in the required courses are things like fundamentals of community organizing, organizing for action with diverse groups, the global policy course, and obviously I like the look of the a lot of the electives (feminist counselling! social work and trauma!).

And honestly, I really like the small liberal arts vibe of St. Thomas. It'll be kind of refreshing and different coming out of a mid-sized university where I don't even know everyone in my classes, let alone my major or my program. Plus, talking to the interviewers (Rory specifically) about what he liked about Stu kind of solidified it, it seems like everyone has great opinions of the program (people do about Lakehead too though!) and I'm kind of enchanted with the idea of moving really far, getting to explore the east coast...

Okay, that was long and rambly. Let me know if I can answer more specific questions. I just kind of word vomited here - can you tell it's exam season and I'm going a little crazy?? I know a lot of this was in comparison to Lakehead because that's what I've been researching, so you may have to sub some of this with your other choices. But, this is where my brain is at right now, so.. :) Feels kind of good to write it all down!

Wow that is such an in-depth response!  Very interesting to see all the aspects you've considered.  I'm wondering, what exactly do you mean by a structuralist social work program?  Do you mean, the general belief that the struggles and difficulties of individuals is caused by an overarching system of oppression and injustice, and should not be attributed to the individuals themselves?  Because from what I've understood looking into various programs is that most of them say that they take that approach.  

I've never been to Fredericton, so that's interesting to hear that some people say its a cool place to be! And, I agree about the relative affordability- I was totally shocked after seeing how much Lakehead costs!  I feel like a lot of people see it as a major benefit  that the program is shorter, but I try to view it as value for money- so, at St. Thomas you are getting more education and training for lower tuition.

We are interested in a lot of the same courses at St. Thomas!  I was also googling the faculty, and a few of them have interests/research that really appeal to me- check out Dr. Aamir Jamal's bio if you haven't already- http://w3.stu.ca/stu/academic/social_work/faculty/jamal/biography.aspx.  It seems like he teaches community organizing/ policy courses.  

And small class sizes are definitely a big plus!

Wow that is such an in-depth response!  Very interesting to see all the aspects you've considered.  I'm wondering, what exactly do you mean by a structuralist social work program?  Do you mean, the general belief that the struggles and difficulties of individuals is caused by an overarching system of oppression and injustice, and should not be attributed to the individuals themselves?  Because from what I've understood looking into various programs is that most of them say that they take that approach.  

I've never been to Fredericton, so that's interesting to hear that some people say its a cool place to be! And, I agree about the relative affordability- I was totally shocked after seeing how much Lakehead costs!  I feel like a lot of people see it as a major benefit  that the program is shorter, but I try to view it as value for money- so, at St. Thomas you are getting more education and training for lower tuition.

We are interested in a lot of the same courses at St. Thomas!  I was also googling the faculty, and a few of them have interests/research that really appeal to me- check out Dr. Aamir Jamal's bio if you haven't already- http://w3.stu.ca/stu/academic/social_work/faculty/jamal/biography.aspx.  It seems like he teaches community organizing/ policy courses.  

And small class sizes are definitely a big plus!

A lot of it is rationalizing how much I'll like it to offset how upset I am about being away from my partner and family for a year and a half, to be completely honest. But the more I talk about it the more excited I get, so always happy to give in depth responses!

Yes, I believe most schools of social work take a structuralist focus (exactly how you describe it) but from what I can gather St. Thomas is more likely to politicize their focus and actually look at structuralist forces and their importance. From reading other course descriptions at other schools I've got the impression that although they take that stance, they don't do much about it, just train you to be a good clinician. Does that make sense? I could be all wrong, but that was the impression I got from talking to the faculty in my interview and reading things about the program.

Exactly. Even being three months longer St. Thomas works out cheaper!!

Dr. Jamal looks he has so much interesting knowledge, all those humanitarian assistance programs, wow!! I need to spend some more time looking through the other faculty members, the only one I know much about (the one who did my interview, Rory) is leaving.

Also, got in touch with residence. They keep a few spots for us and recommend Holy Cross Hall as it has more upper year / mature students. Lauren, the residence manager, was a grad from the BSW program at St. Thomas and has been super helpful with all my questions - if anyone else is interested in going that route.

Hey all! I have applied to Dal BSW and should hear soon.

St. Thomas is DEFINITELY not the only or even the most structural/critical in North America. My friend just graduated from St. Thomas, and I started my BSW last year at York who are known for their progressive programs BSW/MSW/PhD. I only did one intro social work class and my friend has a BSW and I know about concepts and ideas that she wasn't even introduced to in her program, but I was at York.

Their faculty is incredible and well respected, and the program is under constant fire from CASWE because their program is so advanced that it it borders what is acceptable in the curriculum. It was an AMAZING year and I learned an insane amount. It's also very diverse!

I would say that St. Thomas is probably the most critical in the East, including Quebec. I have also heard that Laurier is close to York's level of social discourse and issues.