UMaryland-Baltimore MSW

MSWhopefulCT

Hey everyone!

I applied to UMaryland - Baltimore back in January and have yet to hear a decision, but was told by admissions I would hear this week.

Anybody else waiting or accepted already? Anyone planning on attending?  Did you receive your admissions decisions letter via snail mail or email?

Thanks y'all and good luck!

On March 10, I received an email inviting accepted MSW students to a welcome and advising lunch (USG campus). Then on March 21 I received an actual acceptance email telling me the official acceptance letter would be arriving shortly. I sent my application on Feb. 9, 2015. Not sure yet whether I'll accept. If I do go, I'll most likely go to the USG campus (more convenient for me) rather than the Baltimore one. Good luck!

On March 10, I received an email inviting accepted MSW students to a welcome and advising lunch (USG campus). Then on March 21 I received an actual acceptance email telling me the official acceptance letter would be arriving shortly. I sent my application on Feb. 9, 2015. Not sure yet whether I'll accept. If I do go, I'll most likely go to the USG campus (more convenient for me) rather than the Baltimore one. Good luck!

Hi ! Congratulations ! I am waiting to hear from UMB, I applied in January. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Did you apply to the Shady Grove campus then? Just wondering... Because it's been over two months now for me!

I got a letter on March 26th to inform me that I had not been accepted. I was taken aback by this news and I am not sure what to think about it. The letter stated that anyone who had questions should wait until after April 1st to contact the school. 

I am wondering... are there any males out there that also did not get accepted? 

I got a letter on March 26th to inform me that I had not been accepted. I was taken aback by this news and I am not sure what to think about it. The letter stated that anyone who had questions should wait until after April 1st to contact the school. 

I am wondering... are there any males out there that also did not get accepted? 

I'm not a male, but I just got that letter on 3/30. It was tough to swallow, but since I was accepted to two other great schools, I am at peace with it.

I applied to the Shady Grove campus and got accepted (Behavioral Health concentration), but now I'm thinking about attending the Baltimore campus. My stats: 3.49, career changer in mid-thirties, currently an AmeriCorps member, no professional social work experience, some volunteer experience in various roles (crisis hotlines, elder companion, orphanage volunteer abroad, etc), speak 4 languages & have traveled to/lived in different countries. What I don't have in social work experience is made up in life experiences, I guess. 

Has anyone visited the Baltimore campus? If so, what is it like? I'm trying to decide whether to go to Shady Grove or Baltimore. I commuted from home for undergrad, so I wanted more of an immersion experience for grad school by going to Baltimore instead. I'm told it's a professional campus.

Edited by social_work_student

I was also rejected from UMaryland - Baltimore, which I find somewhat amusing since I was accepted at UWashington - Seattle, UMichigan - Ann Arbor and UNC - CH Advanced Standing - which I will be attending in May.   Their admissions office seems to be quite a mess. I applied back in December and although there were things that were missing they never contacted me. I had to contact them to see what the delay was, which was in early March. I received my rejection this Monday. I applied for a few fellowships at Maryland in which everyone was kind and personable, but those were with parts of the university outside of the school of social work.  At one point I had  been sent information on newly admitted students but this was before I was aware of my missing transcripts back in February.  I've considered contacting them just to let them be aware of this but I do not know if it is worth it at this point.

Edited by Kitso

heard from someone in the admissions office that they are taking extra long because they are under staffed and only 2 people are looking at the applications, also that they expect another round to go out this friday

still waiting, applied in January :unsure:

I got the dreaded letter too (not male). I applied to the Shady Grove campus. I contacted them as per their instructions after April 1 and received a very terse "Contact us in June" response. Not feeling good about this!